PDA

View Full Version : Formula for Converting Chamber Pressure of cast and jacketed boolits

Wish-A-Lot
02-22-2016, 09:19 PM
I have determined what formulas are required to figure out pressure and velocity for each 1 grain decrease in powder. Unfortunately, some data is for jacketed bullets. I know cast and jacketed bullets have different pressures and velocity (everyone is willing to say that) but I can't find any data that shows test data of comparisons. An example would be something like...
Jacketed Bullet 130 gr. powder 40 gr. IMR 4350 velocity 2187 Pressure 42,800
Cast Bullet 130 gr. powder 40 gr. IMR 4350 velocity blah blah blah Pressure blah blah blah.

Does anyone know if this info exists?
All my searching shows reloading data where lead and jacketed loads are far from equivalent loads.

Doc Highwall
02-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Chamber pressure does not equate to velocity. A good example is look at the chamber pressure of loads with Trail Boss vs other powders. Trail Boss has about the highest pressures and the lowest velocities.

Bjornb
02-22-2016, 10:18 PM
QuickLoad will give you both pressure and velocity given the bullet (program has bullet files for NOE, RCBS, Lyman and other cast bullets), barrel length, and powder charge. It will predict internal ballistics pretty closely to what you'll see at the range.