PDA

View Full Version : Mistake on order from Boyd's Gunstock

DLCTEX
02-22-2016, 08:03 PM
I ordered a gunstock from Boyd's and in the process of clicking on the different choices (single stack, blind magazine, short action) I scrolled to long action by mistake and completed the order. As soon as I printed the receipt I caught the error, but there was no way to correct it except to send an email to customer service, which I did immediately. I also called the next day, Monday, and was told there was no way to correct the order but to cancel it, which I did. My card was already charged by 9:00 Monday and the hold was not removed until Thursday, less $19. I guess that is the fee for making a mistake, but I don't consider it customer friendly. I will probably reorder since I really want the stock, but with less enthusiasm than before. Rant over, but I'm putting it out there for others to be forewarned.

Nose Dive
02-22-2016, 10:14 PM
CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Just remember those boys next project.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

fatelk
02-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Sounds pretty customer unfriendly to me. $19 for catching your mistake immediately and cancelling it sounds pretty rotten, especially when so many companies have excellent customer service nowadays. I expect it's there in their fine print somewhere, but it would definitely rub me the wrong way.

40-82 hiker
02-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Just to wade in with my 2 cents: Any American company not priding itself on customer service these days is asking for annihilation via low sales. This company, at the very least, should wave the $19 fee since you are ordering a stock anyway. I find it hard to comprehend penalizing your for your mistake. Given the situation these days, the fact they charge anything under such circumstances does not make any sense.

Card companies do charge a percentage for both directions of transactions, so it is possible the company does take a hit from your/their card companies for both your purchase and your refund. It they wanted to recover that I would not blame them, but I would certainly limit the hit on you to no more than that amount, which is certainly way less than $19.

JMHO.

leeggen
02-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Bet you find it is a restocking fee. Several companies do that. But seems a little quick for that to be.
CD

MaryB
02-23-2016, 02:52 AM
"Modification of Orders:
Once an order has been submitted it CANNOT BE MODIFIED, meaning no change of product, shipping address, or adding other products to an order. If for some reason you need to cancel a standard order (no custom options) - you will incur a 15% processing fee based upon the total sale price of the product you ordered, exclusive of taxes and shipping fees. Custom orders can not be cancelled for any reason. "

That is pretty nasty for just canceling an order that hadn't been started yet!

leadman
02-23-2016, 04:47 AM
I guess the gun companies are giving Boyd's enough business they don't need the little guy??? I also noticed that the prices of the stocks have gone up and most no longer can be purchased unfinished.

sav300
02-23-2016, 05:53 AM
Not nice,may have to rethink about ordering Savage 99 stocks for Boyds.
Althought it costs a hell of a lot more to get stocks made for these rifles.One quiote was $350 au.

Rustyleee
02-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Challenge the charge to the credit card company. The worst thing they can say is no.

Screwbolts
02-23-2016, 09:03 AM
IMHO, I don't think the 15% is out of line, ( let the Flaming begin ) it is stated up front. They incurred fees to take your money and also fees to return it, Non of this proccess of returning your fees and cancelling the order happened without using the time of an employee. This employee needs to be paid, at least if you were that employee you would probably demand to be paid. Having an employee cost vast amounts of money beyond the hourly wage.

I think the Fee was earned and Just!!!!

Long live the cast boolitz

Flame, flame, flame, ME, I don't care if you don't agree, I stated it was my Honest opinion.

Ken

mold maker
02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
A restocking fee for a returned item is reasonable. If the order was never pulled, packaged, and shipped, there should be no fee.
The cost of doing business includes the employees that are needed to process both orders and CS.
Such practices (fees for immediate canceling order) are the quickest way to make a viable company into a ghost. The ability of not waiting for approved funds is the shippers convenience of not having to wait for actual payment. It also works for the consumer who doesn't have to wait for a mailed check to clear before shipment.
In this case, I'd either swallow hard and carefully reorder, or seek another source. Your CC co may offer recourse, but likely more aggravation than value.

Tackleberry41
02-23-2016, 11:36 AM
It happens at alot of places. Most of us would understand a 'restocking fee' if they actually had to put something we ordered back on the shelf. But its generally pushing it just for making an order. PTG reamers did it to me, I ordered something, thought it was in stock, their site was a little confusing. Then oh we don't actually have any but we will put you on the list for when when we do make some. So they charged me 15% for taking my name back off the list.

I was not so impressed with the Boyds I bought. One of the varmint ones for a Mosin. I do understand military rifles can vary, but it was more than simple variation. That timney trigger cut didn't come close to fitting. So not sure I want to buy another one.

I am sure we have all run into 'policy'. Thats what your boss says, its policy. Its a nice way of saying were screwing you over. I worked at a mercedes dealer, they would pull some policy out of a dark place to throw at you. Ok great maybe its wrote down somewhere so I can have a copy for reference. Nope, not written down, we just enforce them when we feel like, generally to your detriment. It was flat rate, if they messed up, shorted you, oops. They would put you on a list, and if they ever came up with some extra hours, you would get it. So basically somebody had to be screwed over at some point in time, but wasnt gonna be them.

Budzilla 19
02-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Richards Micro-Fit, look them up and give them a try! Ordered several from them over the years and was never disappointed! Just my .02.

blackthorn
02-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I think I would be tempted to write a letter to the company president and ask if the "restocking" fee could be waived, given the circumstances. I would also refer him/her to this thread, pointing out that many people world wide read these comments and assure him/her you are going to be happy to pass along the response you get as an addition to this thread. Might help---might not. Good luck. Personally, if I were in the market for a new stock I would be looking for somewhere other than Boyd's after reading of your experience.

Ickisrulz
02-23-2016, 12:18 PM
I would try talking it over with someone up the management chain.

KAF
02-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Make sure the order you see on the screen is exactly what you want before clicking the order form. There are connection fees, transaction fees above the percentage fees on each order. All costs are on the retailer. As soon as you click the order the fees are charged. Be sure your order is correct before clicking.

square butte
02-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Always place your order over the phone with an honest to gosh human being. Get their name before you hang up.

fatelk
02-23-2016, 01:48 PM
It sounds to me like all the OP wanted was to change the order from long action to short, no refund or restocking required. For them to tell him no can do, you have to cancel, reorder, and pay a fee is absolutely inane.

If they have some kind of weird system that won't allow you to change an order, they're living in the stone age. More likely that's just their policy because they're tired of people messing around and changing their minds, so they're hard nosed about it.

Sure, that's their policy and it is in writing, but considering what the OP wanted and how easy it would have been to accommodate him, I don't think they were reasonable in any business model in any universe.

Hamish
02-23-2016, 01:49 PM
The last couple of years I have seen LOTS of complaints about Boyd's socks, mainly concerning quality of the stock work.

Polishmike
02-23-2016, 01:52 PM
I know this isn't going to be the popular opinion but think of it from the business perspective.

Your mistake actually made Boyd's incur costs.
The credit card company took 1-3% on the charge, and the return. They don't get that back. Why should they be stuck with that? An employee had to stop doing what they were doing to answer your email and manually process the cancellation.

I have had nothing but great service from them but have never expected them to eat the costs of my mistake, especially after I agreed to their policies.

fatelk
02-23-2016, 05:01 PM
It sounds like he wasn't asking for a refund, simply to change the order from a long to a short, no charge backs or returns at all. Refusing to accommodate his simple request and then charging him a fee is indefensible, in my opinion. At most, he inconvenienced an employee for a few minutes.

My guess is that if you politely complained to the right person at Boyd's and explained the circumstances, they would likely agree that you shouldn't have been charged a restocking fee in your case. If they are reasonable at all, they would apply that $19 towards your new order.

"They don't get that back"
Actually they do, unless things have changed. A credit card charge-back onto the same card typically reverses the fees to the merchant as well.

Imagine buying an item at a physical store, and realizing you accidentally got the wrong size while still standing at the checkout line. Imagine the store charging you a fee to simply exchange for the right size. Would you ever go back to that store? I wouldn't.

ADDED: I certainly don't mean to flame anyone who disagrees, or thinks Boyd's is justified in their business practices. I'm just saying that I think the OP's particular incident was an unfair application of that particular policy.

dk17hmr
02-23-2016, 05:35 PM
The last time I ordered from boyds they sent me the wrong stock three times. They sent me shipping labels for two of them. So in the end I ended up with two stocks. I haven't ordered from them since and don't really see me jumping on another one anytime soon. I guess my point is if they haven't fixed the issue with their shipping department they need to recoup cost somewhere.

They do make some nice stocks for the money though.

Plate plinker
02-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I would just avoid ordering from them in the future. Thats poor customer service on their part, other companies will eat Boyds lunch if they continue to operate this way, especially so if they are produce substandard work.

montana_charlie
02-23-2016, 11:16 PM
Your mistake actually made Boyd's incur costs.
The credit card company took 1-3% on the charge, and the return. They don't get that back. Why should they be stuck with that? An employee had to stop doing what they were doing to answer your email and manually process the cancellation.
On top of that ...
The order was placed on Sunday. The 'oops email' was sent right afterward, but Customer service is open 8 to 5 on weekdays.
A call was placed (on Monday) to correct the error, and found that the credit cards had already been charged as of 9:00.

Well, the business opens at 8:00, and that is when the phone call should have been made.
That creates a chance of making a correction before employees pull stock and package it for shipping.

Making a mistake on the order, then waiting till after breakfast to call in to ask for a fix, cost the o/p fifteen bucks.

Such is life ...

w5pv
02-24-2016, 12:43 PM
I would have told them to stick it and pack sand over it,then hunt elsewhere to do business.

Tackleberry41
02-24-2016, 01:36 PM
We like to think poor customer service and or products will eventually ruin a business. Only it does not really seem to work that way, how bad was Century? Still going. Rossi/Taurus, some of the worst customer service ever and for a long time, products are hit and miss, still selling guns.

Most companies seem to understand, they can slack off and pump out shoddy products for a long time, and let customer service slide. Yes they lose some customers, but apparently the money saved with shoddy business practices balances out the lost business.

mold maker
02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
We like to think poor customer service and or products will eventually ruin a business. Only it does not really seem to work that way, how bad was Century? Still going. Rossi/Taurus, some of the worst customer service ever and for a long time, products are hit and miss, still selling guns.

Most companies seem to understand, they can slack off and pump out shoddy products for a long time, and let customer service slide. Yes they lose some customers, but apparently the money saved with shoddy business practices balances out the lost business.

That may be a fact, but when it's your belly that's crying out in hunger , none of that will matter.

Lance Boyle
02-25-2016, 09:19 PM
IMHO, I don't think the 15% is out of line, ( let the Flaming begin ) it is stated up front. They incurred fees to take your money and also fees to return it, Non of this proccess of returning your fees and cancelling the order happened without using the time of an employee. This employee needs to be paid, at least if you were that employee you would probably demand to be paid. Having an employee cost vast amounts of money beyond the hourly wage.

I think the Fee was earned and Just!!!!

Long live the cast boolitz

Flame, flame, flame, ME, I don't care if you don't agree, I stated it was my Honest opinion.

Ken

ken I get what you're saying but geeze, all he needed to do was have them change it slightly to fix his error. Total lack of customer service on their part. He wasn't trying to cancel an order, he really wanted it fixed. They couldn't even do that. They pretty much suck at service.

If he called up 2 weeks later to cancel an order already done or started I'm totally with the fee if they feel they must.

DLCTEX
02-25-2016, 09:46 PM
I tried to call at eight, but gave up after being on hold till my ear was tired. I had already sent an email, which the lady in customer service acknowledged when I finally got someone on the phone. If I had spent much time on the phone it would have cost me more than the cost of the stock with employees waiting for me to get them started.

Half Dog
02-25-2016, 10:34 PM
I think the company should be willing to waive the fee to maintain a satisfied customer.

Kent Fowler
02-27-2016, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Screwbolts;3554154]IMHO, I don't think the 15% is out of line

Lots of retailers have a restocking fee in place, now. I can see the bad in it and also some good. In another lifetime, I worked for Sears Automotive doing factory and add-on air conditioner work. Came to work one May morning and there was a Canadian Chevrolet(Pontiac body, Chevrolet motor, huge ugly front bumper) in line for an add-on air installation and when I started putting the unit in, I found the car had previously had an air conditioner as all the holes needed for installation had already been drilled. Fast forward to late September where the car was waiting for me when I got to work. Was told by the manager that the customer said the unit had never worked properly and he wanted his money back. I informed the manager this wasn't the first unit ever put into the car. Long story short, they found the records showed this was the 5th air conditioner he had returned. They gave him his money back.

mold maker
02-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Never saw a full page ad for Boyds til yesterday. The usual 1/8 - 1/4 page has morphed into a full page. Ya reckon their business model is failing?

osteodoc08
02-29-2016, 06:49 AM
I was actually looking at their stocks and can see how the OP made the mistake. There was an option for the Remington 700. I have an SPS so I clicked on it and selected the option for magazine hinged model with bull barrel. It was only then that it mentioned long action, not before. I backed up and it took some figuring out with the drop down menus to get the short action one. Very confusing.

To make matters worse, there are options for Remington 700 model short action bull barrel and Remington 700 SPS short action bull barrel. I have a Remington 700 SPS Varminter Bull Barrel
in 223 I wanted a better stock for. So I just emailed the company and wait for a response so if I order the wrong one after they tell me which one to order, I have a paper trail.

It was quite confusing and i can see how the OP ordered a long action stock on accident........because there was no mention of it until it was in the basket and ready to be paid for depending on the model you select even if it was the correct
model. This happened to me when I went to order the SPS hinged floor plate bull barrel model IIRC. So........I would also fault the web designer for the confusion.