PDA

View Full Version : Interested in casting bullets

mazak5962
02-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in casting my own bullets to shoot from a glock and m&p shield (9mm) and ruger lcr .38. Does anyone know a good resource site to help me understand the process. Evidently, I need to mix some things with lead to achieve something. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. By the way, I've watched some YouTube videos and different people do different things. So I'm not sure where I should start

s mac
02-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Just start reading here, your in the right place.

StuBach
02-22-2016, 10:29 AM
You already found the right site for help. There are numerous threads here with advice and info.

First place to start is getting a good casting book and read (like Lyman's). Additionally, I found reading "From Ingot to Target" very useful. It is available via PDF for iPad readers on several sites (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm).

After that search the "Stickies" here for more info than you could ever need.

Also, molten lead hurts, always wear safety gear including glasses, full cover clothing, and welders gloves.

Welcome to the addiction. As many will offer, please feel free to PM if you have questions though admittedly I am somewhat new to this myself but have good advice to avoid my pitfalls.

toallmy
02-22-2016, 11:11 AM
You are at the right place , I have not been able to come up with a question that has not been went over and discussed in a year. The search box is your friend , a very nice bunch of people who are willing to help you out . Do a lot of research . Be safe and don't over complicate it to start off.

02-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in casting my own bullets to shoot from a glock and m&p shield (9mm) and ruger lcr .38. Does anyone know a good resource site to help me understand the process. Evidently, I need to mix some things with lead to achieve something. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. By the way, I've watched some YouTube videos and different people do different things. So I'm not sure where I should start

Stay here for information but go to Youtube to watch videos that will paint the picture for you. Not an overly difficult process. Requires attention to details.

bangerjim
02-22-2016, 11:18 AM
This is the place.......not youtube!

The LASC book it #1. Download it and read it.

You will learn a LOT by just doing it. 90% of learning is doing it, not reading it. Most of your questions will be answered by youself once you start melting and casting lead. Worked for me!

Good luck.

bangerjim

jcren
02-22-2016, 11:19 AM
First, get a good book and loading manual (Lee or Layman are good for cast). Start off with light loads in the 38 until you get a feel for it. Not that the 9 is that bad to load for, but it is far more particular and a lot of guys get frustrated and give up trying to start on the 9. The Google search box on the upper right of the site page is your friend, not too many questions that haven't been answered here before, and if in doubt ask! Also, take YouTube and forum data with a grain of salt, there is no qualification required to post a theory!

OS OK
02-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Read this post..http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?299250-First-time-caster-Seeking-advice-on-proper-boolit-appearance

It is running concurrent to yours…it'l save us all lots of print.

Good Luck and WELCOME…OS OK

mazak5962
02-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the insight fellas. Looking forward too it

dilly
02-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Lyman cast bullet manual and the LASC are great resources to get a more thorough overall understanding. jcren was right when he said to start off with the 38. Cast bullets can be run through a Glock despite what others may say; just make sure it's done right.

Casting is a lot harder for most people than they need it to be because it can be done with very little equipment. However it's much easier when you've got all the right micrometers, calipers, hardness testers, alloy calculators, stepped neck expanders, separate crimp dies, PID controllers, and other more advanced equipment and techniques. That's too much equipment to understand, let alone buy all at once when you're just starting. So my advice is to read a good text, then buy an introductory kit, get casting and loading, then start buying things as need arises. If you've got someone local to show you the ropes, so much the better.

StuBach
02-22-2016, 01:15 PM
With Dilly's point it would help if you update your profile to include location. I know I have read several members taking newbies under their wing and mentoring them if they lived close.

runfiverun
02-22-2016, 01:36 PM
I can have tools in your hand and quality boolits on the bench in an hour or two.
IF your at my house.

we can walk you through it in a week or so on the computer and then you'll have enough info to get passable boolits in another session or two.

Blackwater
02-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I'll echo the sentiments about this being THE place on the 'net to learn about cast, but you should know it's NOT going to be an overnight thing to learn. Nothing else is, why should this be? However, the good news is it really doesn't take that long provided you do your due diligence, and learn what you need to know first. Since you're dealing with very high temperature molten metal, which CAN hurt you, safety - particularly in the early stages - is a GREAT concern.

The first thing I'd do, to kind'a get your foundation of understanding laid before you begin, is to get Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual, and read it from cover to cover. It's really not going to take nearly as long as you might think. But read it slowly and for content and understanding, and NOT like you'd scan a newspaper's obit section. Your results in casting, just as with any other technical matter, will depend entirely on your understanding of how things work and why they work that way. This should be your guide in reading the manual. Then come back here, and get the basics - lead pot, ladle, lube and any whatever equipment you want for any sizing you want to do. Casting is something that's kind'a one of those gifts that keeps on giving. I don't think any of us here know it all. I don't think there's really any way to know it all, really, since experimentation is necessary to get really great results from each individual gun. Your concern will not be what works in "most guns," but what works in YOURS, using your equipment and techniques and lube, etc

The stickies here at the beginning of this section is a good place to start. Then, when you start casting, go back and read the archives. I did this when I first came here, and it was a real boon and an eye opener for me, and I'd been casting many years at that time, too! One who's new, like yourself, can't afford NOT to avail yourself of all the info there.

And don't be dismayed or upset when you fail or get poor results, either. We've ALL done that, so you're not likely to be any different. Casting is a journey, not a destination, and even the best of us here are still learning, and hope to continue to do so. So get yer stuff together and git ta' castin', bro'! You're gonna' really like it once you find you CAN do things you'd never thought you'd be able to do. It's all about keepin' on keepin' on. Good luck in your initial efforts.

mazak5962
02-22-2016, 03:47 PM
I'll echo the sentiments about this being THE place on the 'net to learn about cast, but you should know it's NOT going to be an overnight thing to learn. Nothing else is, why should this be? However, the good news is it really doesn't take that long provided you do your due diligence, and learn what you need to know first. Since you're dealing with very high temperature molten metal, which CAN hurt you, safety - particularly in the early stages - is a GREAT concern.

The first thing I'd do, to kind'a get your foundation of understanding laid before you begin, is to get Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual, and read it from cover to cover. It's really not going to take nearly as long as you might think. But read it slowly and for content and understanding, and NOT like you'd scan a newspaper's obit section. Your results in casting, just as with any other technical matter, will depend entirely on your understanding of how things work and why they work that way. This should be your guide in reading the manual. Then come back here, and get the basics - lead pot, ladle, lube and any whatever equipment you want for any sizing you want to do. Casting is something that's kind'a one of those gifts that keeps on giving. I don't think any of us here know it all. I don't think there's really any way to know it all, really, since experimentation is necessary to get really great results from each individual gun. Your concern will not be what works in "most guns," but what works in YOURS, using your equipment and techniques and lube, etc

The stickies here at the beginning of this section is a good place to start. Then, when you start casting, go back and read the archives. I did this when I first came here, and it was a real boon and an eye opener for me, and I'd been casting many years at that time, too! One who's new, like yourself, can't afford NOT to avail yourself of all the info there.

And don't be dismayed or upset when you fail or get poor results, either. We've ALL done that, so you're not likely to be any different. Casting is a journey, not a destination, and even the best of us here are still learning, and hope to continue to do so. So get yer stuff together and git ta' castin', bro'! You're gonna' really like it once you find you CAN do things you'd never thought you'd be able to do. It's all about keepin' on keepin' on. Good luck in your initial efforts.
Great post Blackwater. I'm gonna DO IT!!!

Lead Fred
02-22-2016, 04:27 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/766375/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-358429-38-special-357-magnum-358-diameter-170-grain-semi-wadcutter

Elmer Keith, the inventor of the boolit above. The FBI used this bullet for 30 years.
Cant use it in your girlie 9, but it is the best for the 38. Backed with 5gr Unique.
It has a fat lube groove unlike the Lee moulds. So you can pan lube them.

I use his hollow point version, if you can find one. 160gr that expands like a modern jacketed defense round
at a fraction of the cost.

robg
02-22-2016, 06:44 PM
It ain't rocket science or I couldnt do it .melt lead clean off dirt on surface add bit of tin pour into mould admire you boolit's ,lube load enjoy .you will learn the finer points as you go and on this forum.

Yodogsandman
02-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the site! Here's a link to "Cast Bullets" and the "NRA Handbook Supplement 1", just in case you haven't been overloaded yet...

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints

gwpercle
02-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Do yourself a mega-huge favor, buy a book , Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition is in print. Having the instructions in front of you, with pictures and diagrams helps to visualize and understand terms and things that will be talked about .
I taught myself casting and reloading, in the days B.C. (Before Computers) with Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 2nd and 3rd Editions.
I still use the Lyman Books, still my first go to for information. Lyman #3 and #4 are on the desk as I type this.
Lots of misinformation out there, lots of great information between those book covers. Get one and read!
And welcome to the club. Load Safe,
Gary

adanymous
02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
There have been a bunch of posts so far, and all of them have been correct.

30Carbine
02-22-2016, 09:56 PM
Where are you located like run said if you were there he could have you running in no time. might be someone close to you that can do the same thing.

quilbilly
02-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Casting is a terrible addiction. Be warned but if you must, and can get hold of the earlier Lyman casting book, I find it a bit better for getting started so read it. That done, welcome to our happy addiction and stick around!

David2011
02-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Mazak,

This is THE place. There are a bunch of generous, awesome folks on board here. Welcome to CastBoolits!

My two cents: Once you have the mechanical side met (alloy, way to melt it, mold, etc.) start with the .38. It's way more forgiving as a learning platform for casting and handloading than the 9mm. The 9mm is a high pressure cartridge and the smallest changes in seating depth and powder charges can make a big difference in peak pressure. That's all much less critical in .38 Special. You can make the LCR FUN to shoot with handloads. Let us know where you are because there just might be someone on the site nearby that will be a mentor. Among us there's about a gazillion years of experience. Tat can save you a lot of grief and money. :)

David

mazak5962
02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I live in Winchester Tennessee. Been reloading for about a year on a Dillon 550b. I absolutely love it. Looking for a little cheaper way to shoot. I'm shooting the berry's plated boolits right now($90/1000)

mazak5962
02-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Casting is a terrible addiction. Be warned but if you must, and can get hold of the earlier Lyman casting book, I find it a bit better for getting started so read it. That done, welcome to our happy addiction and stick around!
Which edition you talking about

mazak5962
02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Mazak,

This is THE place. There are a bunch of generous, awesome folks on board here. Welcome to CastBoolits!

My two cents: Once you have the mechanical side met (alloy, way to melt it, mold, etc.) start with the .38. It's way more forgiving as a learning platform for casting and handloading than the 9mm. The 9mm is a high pressure cartridge and the smallest changes in seating depth and powder charges can make a big difference in peak pressure. That's all much less critical in .38 Special. You can make the LCR FUN to shoot with handloads. Let us know where you are because there just might be someone on the site nearby that will be a mentor. Among us there's about a gazillion years of experience. Tat can save you a lot of grief and money. :)

David
Thanks David. I live in Winchester, Tennessee

mazak5962
02-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks David. I live in Winchester, Tennessee
David, when you talk about 38's being more forgiving, are you talking about reloading or casting or both. I've been reloading 9's and 38's for about a year

jcren
02-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Both. Loading cast in a 9 can be pretty quirky, mostly due to the taper of the case. Proper case prep and flaring helps, but picking the right bullet is important too. For example, lee tl style bullets tend to get squeezed down by the brass more than a traditional or solid design. That little 38 can be made to shoot most anything that will fit and be loaded from .22 levels to more than you want with little trouble.

Wayne Smith
02-23-2016, 10:14 AM
And the "little .38" can be loaded with as soft as pure and as hard a lino and if the boolit fits it shoots and doesn't lead as long as you load appropriately. The swaged hollow based wadcutters loaded with 2.8gr Bullseye are essentially pure. If you have a problem with the .38 it is relatively easy to figure out why. The 9mm or any other high pressure cartridge tends to have very small critical issues. That is, very small changes cause very large differences. It is thus difficult to diagnose the problems found.

Half Dog
02-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Welcome and this is the place where I am being educated on the process.

toallmy
02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
And with a 38 you don't have to go looking for the brass ,

philzilla
02-25-2016, 03:52 AM
This is the best place to learn