PDA

View Full Version : Primers in the 300 BLK

waco
02-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Ruger bolt gun. Will NOT Fire CCI small rifle mag primers. Cup it too tough.
My question is are mag primers nesecary in this caliber with H110/296???
Thanks. Waco.

Blammer
02-21-2016, 05:17 PM
no mag primers are not needed.

cup too tough? or primer seated too deep?

firing pin in good order? bolt cleaned? spring good to go?

I'd check everything. I don't believe any one type of primer should stop a rifle from firing it.

waco
02-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Primers are seated correctly. Just below flush. It's a brand new rifle. I would hope everything else is in order....

Geezer in NH
02-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Something wrong with the new rifle it should fire mag primers unless your brass is sized to headspace to short.

waco
02-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Something wrong with the new rifle it should fire mag primers unless your brass is sized to headspace to short.
Brand new brass. FL sized.

44man
02-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Could be setting the shoulder back some. ALL primers should fire but there is no need for mag primers with the small case.

runfiverun
02-21-2016, 08:25 PM
you don't need mag primers.
you also might wanna look at my 'let's break this down' thread at Brad's place.

you also might have something wrong with your firing pin spring.
I just went and popped off a couple of CCI sr mag primers in my Ruger American in 300 b.o.
and in my A.A.C. 300.
they both just shot a shower of sparks out the barrel. [one heck of a lot of sparks]

waco
02-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info Fiver.

TexasAggie06
02-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Not meant to flame but I've been running #400 CCI primers in my 300blk without any issues, whatever your problem ends up being let us know.

6bg6ga
02-22-2016, 07:25 AM
I run mag primers whenever the load data calls for it. Common sense to follow loading guidelines. Reason for mag primers is possibly the pressure. 147gr jacketed bullet with 16 gr H110 = a flat primer. I've had a few failures to fire and it is because I have changed the springs and the hit just wasn't there. Put normal springs back in and it fires every time. Don't have a bolt gun standard AR-15. With my dies and press I cannot FL size and come up with anything that won't work in my AR. My dies will bottom before I could possibly size/ form them improperly. I check mine with the gauge that I purchased.

dudel
02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
I don't use magnum primers in any my 300BO loads or with my H110 loads.

However, your Ruger should be able to fire rounds with magnum primers. IIRC, CCI makes some of the softer primers. You might want to get that Ruger looked at. I've heard of some QC issues as Ruger tries for 2M guns this year.

Drew P
02-22-2016, 11:42 AM
I feel like my new S&B primers are softer than some.

Mica_Hiebert
02-22-2016, 12:14 PM
I'd be sending it back to ruger. Even mitary primers none of my bolt guns have had an issue with.

N21911S
02-22-2016, 05:17 PM
The problem I had with my Ruger American Blackout when I first got it was actually popping primers. The load was 12.4 gr 2400 and the Lee 312-155-2r. Was using Remington primers and the upon firing they would develop a pin hole in the firing pin indentation and blow smoke out the pressure relief hole on the left side of the receiver. The cases were formed in a size die but not fire formed. Cured the problem by switching to Winchester WSR primers and backing off the size die until I had a little feel when closing the bolt. So I really don't know if it was a primer or headspace issue, I strongly suspect headspace.

Accurate 1680 is your friend for the combination of this rifle and the Lee boolit. Now if I could just cure the feeding issue that pops up once in a while.

Butchman205
02-22-2016, 05:42 PM
I had the exact same problem. I was unintentionally pushing the shoulder back too far during FL sizing (but it fit my case gauge perfectly)...and the cartridge was actually out of battery...too far in.

I backed off my size die 1/4 turn, now all is well (but my cases don't insert flush with case gauge).

Hickok
02-22-2016, 06:04 PM
I had the exact same problem. I was unintentionally pushing the shoulder back too far during FL sizing (but it fit my case gauge perfectly)...and the cartridge was actually out of battery...too far in.

I backed off my size die 1/4 turn, now all is well (but my cases don't insert flush with case gauge).Waco, I believe Butchman has it correct. I too have had it happen before with other calibers.

waco
03-12-2016, 07:45 PM

I backed off my size die 1/4 turn, now all is well (but my cases don't insert flush with case gauge).

Interesting.....I'll give this a try. Many thanks!

Blammer
03-13-2016, 10:28 AM
perhaps it's the chamber. It may be a tad long?

the solution is then to back the dies out and neck size only?

berksglh
03-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Problem is the bolt face to extractor dimension. Its a known defect on the later models of this gun. If the brass is new, (some factory loads even) or your brass is full length sized, you will see the problem if you have one of the bad bolts.

Chamber an EMPTY! "full length sized" shell, use your cleaning rod to push down the barrel into the shell, push shell towards bolt face and release, the ejection pin will push the brass back. If it moves more then 0.005", it needs repair. Mine was 0.015" best I could measure.

Before the firing pin even hits, the ejection spring and pin pushes the rnd away from the bolt face and up to the extractor lip, (or the brass shoulder to chamber, depending on sizing) which is likely too far from bolt face. So if shoulder isn't blown out to your chamber dimensions, it likely wont fire. Re-cock the bolt, and it goes off on the second try.

Ruger changed something in manufacturing and is aware of the issue. Call and set up with them, ship your bolt in and they will fix it for free and ship back.

Both mine and my buddy had the same issues. His was repaired free and returned in under a week.

I made my own extractor and lowered the lip out of a chunk of steel from a file handle (unhardened tool steel) then case hardened it with quick hard compound. Problems gone. 100% feed,fire,extraction.

Ruger wont just send you an extractor, you'l have to ship them your bolt.

Good luck.

waco
03-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I will contact Ruger.