PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube getting over outside of case. 38spc

s1120
02-20-2016, 09:59 AM
I have a lot of sized and lubed Lyman 148gr wc bullets. Im not sure of the lube used, but I would say its midway in hardness. Not hard like like a lot of the store bought lead bullets use, and not real thin like a lot of the moly lubes Ive seen... So im a semi newbee... Ive loaded quite a bit, but not for decades like a lot of youo guys. I don't shave any lead wile loading them. [once I got the new Lyman M die, and got the adjustment down... ] but I get chunks of lube on the outside of the cases. they don't seem over lubed.. but maybe Im wrong. Is this a common thing to happen? Am I missing something? As for now ive just been flaking it off, or wiping it with a solvent rag if its bad.

44man
02-20-2016, 10:11 AM
I get the same with Felix lube on my .44 brass. But accuracy is there so I ignore it. I hate taking brass from the tumbler to find lube on them still.
Some will say you have low pressure but darn, I shoot HOT loads.
Just another thing to put up with so if you shoot good, don't worry.

s1120
02-20-2016, 10:34 AM
The only issues I had was some got run through without being wiped well, then shooting a cold gun I could not get some chambers to load. A few shots off and some heat put in her had it up and running fined

runfiverun
02-20-2016, 11:10 AM
you might want to put just a little more flair on the case.
or seat and then crimp in 2 steps.
sometimes the crimp is coming into play too soon with deep seated boolits.

tja6435
02-20-2016, 01:49 PM
If I get lube on the bullets after being loaded into the case, I'll tumble the lube off in walnut shell media with 2-3 caps full of lacquer thinner in the media. Comes out nice and clean. I do place a new dryer sheet in with the media to reduce dust as well.

44man
02-20-2016, 04:52 PM
OOPS, sorry, lube on my brass is after shooting, not after loading since I wipe brass off if there is some lube on it. Dies pick it up and it happens but a rag is good enough. I never wipe boolits, just the case.
Just another step for the dreaded grease balls that a friend called cast as I shot circles around him!

s1120
02-20-2016, 07:30 PM
you might want to put just a little more flair on the case.
or seat and then crimp in 2 steps.
sometimes the crimp is coming into play too soon with deep seated boolits.

The bell is pretty aggressive. And I do seat and crimp in separate steps.

runfiverun
02-20-2016, 08:48 PM
so your seeing the lube after you seat?
I'm thinking it's just squeezing up and around the boolit as your seating it then.
the only thing that I can think of is that your using a bit too much neck tension.
which leads me to think your using a carbide size die.
maybe go back and do some measuring before you seat the boolit.

s1120
02-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Yes I'm using a carbide sizing die.