PDA

View Full Version : Skunk Deodorizing

trapper9260
02-19-2016, 01:26 PM
I was going to post this in the trapping part ,but I know it will help others on here.Some might know about this, some might not.

1qt 2% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 table spoon Liquid Dish Soap

Mix only as needed.

Taylor
02-19-2016, 01:31 PM
It can't be any worse than tomato juice...which don't work.

southpaw
02-19-2016, 01:46 PM
I have heard about this. Fortunately, I have not had need to use it. Bet I won't be able to find it should the need arise.

If they only had something that would keep dogs away from the critters with the pointy things...

Thanks for posting, maybe I will be able to find it if/when I should need it.

Jerry Jr.

tim338
02-19-2016, 03:11 PM
That works very well. I have had to use it several times on my bird dogs over the years. In fact I carry all the ingredients for this in my truck every time I hunt away.

LUBEDUDE
02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Years ago when I rented a ranch in Denton, TX, I had an Alaskan Malamute that would get sprayed a least once a week.

The skunk spray did not bother him in the least. He loved killing animals other than dogs, he got two of our peacocks.

Since the spray did not chase him off, I was afraid that he may tangle with a rabid skunk.

That's when I became a Skunk Trapper.

BTW, we went through cases of of those 1/2 gallon sizes of Tomato juice.

This picture is a spitt'n image of Rocky, nicknamed Meathead.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/cf06be56d999f8a04b9e8e850a168a0e.jpg

5Shot
02-19-2016, 03:28 PM
My hound didn't mind it in the least either. I watched him get sprayed point blank (like 12") right in the face and it only made him want to get that skunk even more. Wasn't the only time either.

M-Tecs
02-19-2016, 03:32 PM
A friend is a vet. and his recommendation is Massengil Feminine Douche. Never tried it.

LUBEDUDE
02-19-2016, 03:45 PM
A friend is a vet. and his recommendation is Massengil Feminine Douche. Never tried it.

Full strength I suppose?

That sounds incredibly expensive at enough to make a gallon or more.

$1.33/oz or $10 for 22 oz

rockrat
02-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Wife had a Schnauzer that got it about 4 times a year. We even put a small flashing light on her collar, like you see on bikes. She ran around the corner of the house and when she came back, she would'nt come near. She KNEW she was in trouble, yep, skunk, again.

Have used the above mix, followed by tomato juice. Worked fairly well

Muskrat Mike
02-19-2016, 10:51 PM
I've used it two times with success each time. Used tomato juice many times in the past before learning of this one and it way out performs tomato juice.

Blanket
02-19-2016, 11:48 PM
don't get sprayed first off, vinegar red cider, next , live with it 3rd

OS OK
02-20-2016, 03:28 AM
I take my Boxer Bubbie into our big shower strip down with him and sit in there and use 1/2 bottle of Baby Shampoo on him as he always gets it in the face and the shampoo doesn't burn his eyes. When we are done you can still smell it faintly for a week. It's tolerable. He does it about 3/4 times a year…If I didn't love him so I think I'd kick his butt for it!
He has 5 cat buddies here at the house and I think that he thinks the skunks are big fluffy kitty cats with stinky butts!

trapper9260
02-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Many years ago when I was a kid ,I had got spray by a skunk and ran over it with my bike at the time going down a hill. Ans I did took a bath in tomato juice.And it did work.but the shoes still smell.

bearcove
02-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Dishwashing soap is as good as anything I've tried. Time fixes the rest.

snowwolfe
02-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Skunk spray is biodegradable. People think a lot of home remedies work when the best thing to do is just wait for it to dissipate and fade away. Most likely a good soap or shampoo removes it as well as anything.

Kind of like treating a cold. You can treat it for a week or rest for 7 days then you will feel better:)

buckwheatpaul
02-20-2016, 04:51 PM
I was going to post this in the trapping part ,but I know it will help others on here.Some might know about this, some might not.

1qt 2% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 table spoon Liquid Dish Soap

Mix only as needed.

His post is correct. It was developed by a vet. What comes out of the south end of a skunk is acid based....tomato juice is acid....hence a dog that smells worse. You must neutralize that nasy oder and the vet proved potion really works...The vet did add that after using that mixture to give another bath and add some hair conditioner....all smell is gone except that on the eyes and nose......

Lonegun1894
02-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Y'all are seriously overthinking this. All I do to descent a skunk is catch the one around my house every 2-3 weeks, give her a bath with baby shampoo, just like I do for my dogs, and let her go again. She gets a bit musky (like a ferret), but after growing up with my dogs around, she has never sprayed them, and the three of them (skunk and 2 dogs) will sit there and eat out of the same bowl together. If your dogs are house broke, and your kids are house broke, then why don't y'all just train your skunks to behave too? And just when I was getting fond of this bunch here. :)

gwpercle
02-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Do you get the skunk to drink it or do you soak the skunk in it ? And for how long will the skunk be deodorized ?

Lonegun1894
02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Do you get the skunk to drink it or do you soak the skunk in it ? And for how long will the skunk be deodorized ?

If that was directed at me, I walk up to the skunk, pick it up, carry it in the house and bathe her in the bath tub with baby shampoo like you would a small dog. She is kind of like a friends ferret in that she needs a bath every 2-3 weeks or she starts smelling a bit musky, just like a ferret. Not bad, but just distinctive. SWMBO thinks I have lost my mind to have a mostly-tame skunk hanging around and to treat her like she is one of the other pets , and she (SWMBO) definitely doesn't like that I bathe her in the tub, but I figure if I do it just before I clean the tub anyway, what's the problem? Just keep in mind that this is a skunk that I have been handling since she was a baby and that has grown up to be more like a pet and stays outside mostly in the yard, but also will occasionally walk into the house with my dogs. So since this isn't your average wild skunk I am dealing with, I wouldn't recommend trying to same thing with any other wild skunk out there. She is great for insect control, and I am guessing somewhere around half her diet is what I feed her. She also loves being picked up, cuddled with, and petted. Yeah, I know, I have issues.

Idaho Mule
02-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Nothing wrong with being an animal lover and trainer. JW

leeggen
02-21-2016, 12:11 AM
The above does work. I had to rid a skunk from under my parents house. Live trap and then shoot, little huzzy sprayed just after shooting. Had some get on me and boy the truck , my boots and the cage did stink. Head and Shoulders shampoo worked good on boots seat cover and floormat. My watch is history, got on the band, meost of this came from getting against the trap. My levis and shirt was washed in detergent and some pinesol. But alittle elbow grease and a hair dryer everthing is good.
CD

Southern Son
02-21-2016, 02:18 AM
Lonegun,
You trained a skunk to take a bath, the only bad thing I can see in that is if some Hollywood Producer hears about it, there will be another "Reality" T.V. show.

Lonegun1894
02-21-2016, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't want anyone doing a show about me, and the only thing any producer would get told if they did show up here would be to "get off my lawn". She takes baths, uses a litter box when in the house during bad or cold weather, and is just one of the family. She likes to cuddle like a cat but will follow you around like a puppy, except slower cause of the short legs. Kind of a weird combination, but I don't know how much of her behavior is normal for skunks and how much is learned from the other animals, because her mother got hit by a car when she was VERY young, so she was raised with dogs and cats and seemed to adopt some of their behaviors. She still stomps her front feet when she wants to play, or stomps them and hisses/squeals when she gets tired and wants the dogs to let her rest. I know that is a definite skunk trait.

For those of you wanting to trap skunks, our animal control guy uses live traps, then throws an old comforter over the cage, and as long as you are reasonably gentle with the cage as you lift it and keep it covered, the skunk will not spray, so you can relocate it and don't have to kill it. I have helped him with at 60-70 skunks so far, because I didn't believe that this would work, and have seen ONE skunk spray inside a cage covered like that. I really wish garden varmints like rats, squirrels, rabbits, etc, were half as civilized and reasonable as a skunk is. They really do get a bad reputation that they don't deserve.

buckwheatpaul
02-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Nothing wrong with being an animal lover and trainer. JW

The problem in Texas is that more than half of the skunks are carring rabies....besides the smell you can get a care of rabies....if seen during the day time, skunks are considered to be rabid and are given a death sentence....

Lonegun1894
02-21-2016, 01:04 PM
buckwheatpaul,
Is the "more than half of the skunks are carring rabies" statement based on any proof, or just an assumption? I ask because that is either a shocking revelation to me, or a serious assumption and blanket statement that just can't be accurate considering they should be extinct in Texas if rabies was widespread enough to be as much of a problem as you say it is.

Yes, they are a carrier, but ALL mammals can be infected and are therefore a possible carrier, and that includes you and me. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely important to use caution, but do you have some basis for your numbers? Cause I can tell you from daily personal experience that mine wakes up a couple hours before sunset (which is still during daylight) for her nightly insect hunting, and wakes up several times during the day to drink water especially when the weather is hot--and that is when you leave her alone. When you disturb her sleep, such as by coming home, she wakes up and adjusts her schedule to me to play just like my dogs do, and comes to greet me when I get home from work. And since she got herself adopted, all her shots are up to date, rabies included, so I'm not concerned with catching anything from her. I know the wild ones don't get vaccinated, but you can't just assume everything is infected and start killing things based on that assumption. I mean, based on your logic, how many skunks get killed because they woke up to get a drink during a hot day, or because something woke them up, or just because they woke up hungry and went to find food and didn't get the false memo that they can't be out before nightfall. Rabbits are nocturnal too, but I haven't heard of anyone shooting every one they see out during daylight, regardless of if that is morning or evening or any other time, because they assumed they must be sick. If anything, most people hunt those times specifically because that is when the human hunters and the rabbits schedules coincide, and then we eat them.

MostlyLeverGuns
02-21-2016, 01:25 PM
I have used the peroxide, baking soda, dish soap mix multiple times. It works very well, far better than tomato juice (waste of time and tomato juice).

buckwheatpaul
02-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Lonegun1894....It came from the State of Texas a while ago......Been mentioned in the CE hours I take as well....also a vet told me that the reason a private citizen cant possess a de-skunked skunk until it has been a 4th or 5th generation in captivity

Lonegun1894
02-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks for that clarification, buckwheatpaul. My classes said it was very common for skunks and any other animal, like possums, that eats carrion to have diseases (including rabies), but that there were no firm numbers available that were anything more than a wild guess, and that the majority of the few carcasses tested came back negative for rabies, but it was still high enough for bites to be avoided due to the off chance. Guess the people teaching our classes aren't giving us the same data, so who knows which can be trusted. I won't trust or take risks with unknown animals, but I will still make that exception with the one I have hanging around my house.

Besides, the title of this thread is "skunk deodorizing", not skunk spray deodorizing. :)

leeggen
02-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Longgun here in TN it is illegal to transport any wild animal. Also the wildlife dept doesn't want to transport skunks cause of the diseases. I did move this one a couple miles anyway aboout a month ago and it found its way back under Mom and Dads house, yes the same skunk. It had a left ear that was only half there. I don't just kill to do it, I use it as a last resort.
CD

Ural Driver
02-22-2016, 03:03 AM
The peroxide, backing soda and soap is a sure fire skunk spray neutralizer. Used it several times on the dog, me, tree trunks, wood fence and deck......smell is gone on contact. The tomato juice thing will only give you skunk flavored tomato juice. One important thing, keep the mixture away from the eyes. Just dip your hands in the solution and gently rub that area of the face with your hands making sure that it does not drip into the eyes.......8-)

auto5man
02-23-2016, 05:35 AM
If that was directed at me, I walk up to the skunk, pick it up, carry it in the house and bathe her in the bath tub with baby shampoo like you would a small dog. She is kind of like a friends ferret in that she needs a bath every 2-3 weeks or she starts smelling a bit musky, just like a ferret. Not bad, but just distinctive. SWMBO thinks I have lost my mind to have a mostly-tame skunk hanging around and to treat her like she is one of the other pets , and she (SWMBO) definitely doesn't like that I bathe her in the tub, but I figure if I do it just before I clean the tub anyway, what's the problem? Just keep in mind that this is a skunk that I have been handling since she was a baby and that has grown up to be more like a pet and stays outside mostly in the yard, but also will occasionally walk into the house with my dogs. So since this isn't your average wild skunk I am dealing with, I wouldn't recommend trying to same thing with any other wild skunk out there. She is great for insect control, and I am guessing somewhere around half her diet is what I feed her. She also loves being picked up, cuddled with, and petted. Yeah, I know, I have issues.

pics of said skunk, or it didn't happen!

Lonegun1894
02-23-2016, 06:37 AM
These are all I have on my phone right now, but if you want others, it'll have to wait til tomorrow.

PB234
02-23-2016, 06:46 AM
Interesting pet (I applaud you) and would like to see your veterinarian's face when you arrive. Waiting room empty out quick?

Lonegun1894
02-23-2016, 07:03 AM
I wish I could tell you I set out to adopt her, but it was a matter of her mother got run over in front of my house, and I didn't have the heart to either kill her or let her starve, so started feeding her thinking she would grow up a bit and go away since I'd always heard they just roam and don't really settle down. Well, she must be defective, cause she never went away, even though she is free to come and go, in case she ever decides to. The vet actually thinks it's hilarious, but he has known me for many years and this isn't the first thing I have brought in that isn't "normal" for treatment when injured, so he knows I'm a bit off in the head. The first time he saw her, the comment was that "At least it isn't another f%&#^g alligator snapper!" And he just may like her and my dogs better than he likes me. Who can blame him? As to other customers/patients, I bring her in in a cat carrier, and most don't realize what is inside, and I don't show or tell unless asked. Kids love seeing her and petting her, but the parents tend to hesitate a bit.

pete501
02-23-2016, 11:13 AM
We have chickens so I set a trap to reduce the critter population. Traps are within 80 yards of the house so when I dispatch skunks the smell is detectable. Personally I don't mind the smell, but my wife hates it. I tell her that what doesn't help the smell is her complaining about it. Seems to work for me.

Taylor
02-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Tennessee just past a law approving skunk ownership.Might be time to market your recipe.