PDA

View Full Version : Traditional vs. Polymer/powder coat and haz vapors generated

bullpen7979
02-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Indoor range dude gave me a little flac about shooting lead last time (understandable) Here is my question, just out of curiosity:

1. Current lube method: Tumble with LLA, allow to dry, run thru sizing die at .357 ish. Then pan lube using a variant of Barry Darr formula. Then push out, load, shoot. Been workin like a champ.

2. I am considering going to the Harbor Freight Red everyone seems to tout.

My questions: Is there any significant difference in the harmful vapors generated between the two methods? Will smoke generated likely go down with the powder coat? I can no longer generate white blood cells due to an unfortunate incident a few weeks back and I want to make sure I'm not doing something ultra-toxic.

Is one color really any better than another?

Would sizing/loading procedure be about the same?

I will use the search function to find other threads and stuff about the matter but if there is a good one or two you know of, feel free to post.

Thanks fellow casters. I sure do value the input on this board, and thank you for taking time to chime in.

Regards,
ejl

tazman
02-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Try the coatings and alternatives forum. There is more information there than you would ever believe.

fredj338
02-18-2016, 08:19 PM
There is probably more lead particles, not vapor, from the primer than the lead bullet. The bitch about lead bullets indoors is all the smoke from the lube, especially with powders like TG. A lot less smoke with any type of coated. I hate indoor ranges, when I go I shoot plated or coated. I size my coated bullets, they load the same as lubed lead.

runfiverun
02-18-2016, 08:52 PM
man alox,,, put some 231/unique behind it and tell em your shooting black powder.

the powder coating will cut down the smoke, but will increase your diameter.
it may be a problem on the nose.

hickfu
02-19-2016, 12:29 AM
I stopped shooting at indoor ranges because of the amount of lead in the air from primers. Every time I went to the indoor range I had a hard time breathing after.

bullpen7979
02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I'm in North Dallas area and outdoors is a little hard to come by. I know there's a public range in Garland.....might give them another go if I can't get this PC thing together.
Thanks guys.

bangerjim
02-19-2016, 02:47 PM
You are in the wrong area. Go to the alt coatings threads. We have infomation there you will find useful. PC does not generate smoke like grease. I shoot it all the time indoors.

Silverboolit
02-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Not to hijack, but, Can you buy non-lead primers to reload with? I know that there is factory loads using NL primers, but how about for the reloader? Just curious...

Shiloh
02-19-2016, 08:00 PM
My suspicion is that some of the coatings, as vaporized good very easily give off toxic fumes.

SHiloh

dragon813gt
02-19-2016, 08:35 PM
You are in the wrong area. Go to the alt coatings threads. We have infomation there you will find useful. PC does not generate smoke like grease. I shoot it all the time indoors.

No such thing as a free lunch. None of what we use is good to breathe. Indoor ranges just compound the problem. I don't shoot at any because the ventilation systems are never built right.

popper
02-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Garland range is good. I use the HiTek stuff for pistol, production is faster, cost is same and no problems at indoor ranges. LLA indoors chokes me up. I just oil the XD40 and go - probably >600 rnds since I cleaned it.

tazman
02-20-2016, 05:12 PM
I use White Label X-lox(LLA) for nearly all of my pistol rounds.
I am lucky that the indoor range I usually use has excellent blowers. I never even smell the stuff. All the smoke goes downrange immediately.