PDA

View Full Version : Paging Chargar, Jumptrap, others - .35 Whelen project

Sky C.
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Gentlemen-

I'd appreciate more feedback please. I've laid hands on a Browning 1895 and want to have it redone to .35 Whelen. I understand each of you have experience with the M-1895 &/or .35 Whelen.

Chargar- After having Mic do the work with the throughbolt attach for the buttstock - are you able to discern any difference in accuracy? It is one of the mods I'm currently contemplating. Other than it sounds like a good idea - I'm trying to understand if there is a measureable difference attributable to this mod specifically.

Jumptrap- How do you like the Whelen conversion? Any info about your experience with CB's in this rifle would be appreciated. Any things to watch out for in the conversion? What were the deciding factors in your deciding to re-barrel vs. re-bore. Any other insights about this you would share would be welcome.

Any and all others with experience to share - welcome!

Thanks (in advance) for your feedback!

Best regards-

Sky C.

Jumptrap
10-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Gentlemen-

Jumptrap- How do you like the Whelen conversion? Any info about your experience with CB's in this rifle would be appreciated. Any things to watch out for in the conversion? What were the deciding factors in your deciding to re-barrel vs. re-bore. Any other insights about this you would share would be welcome.

Sky C.

Sky,

I have to confess my bench time with this rifle is limited, but from what I have done using the 358315, it has been a very satisfying experience.

Now for me, the conversion to .35 Whelen was a no brainer due to the fact that the 06 is the parent cartridge and nothing changes but the hole in the pipe...it feeds and extracts perfectly. It costs as much if not more, to rebore as it does to rebarrel. I had Dennis Olson of Plains, MT. to rebarrel, D&T for a Lyman peep and slick the action/trigger. I swear..the work is damned flawless. The blue on the new barrel matches PERFECTLY. You would think it was delivered in 35 Whelen. I am as happy as a pig in ripe slop with my gun. The rebarreling and slicking cost me $500. He used a Douglas barrel. I can't swear to the twist..1:14 I think.

I have used a few different pipefitters over the years and Olson is the best of the lot. He has the personality of a pumpkin, but he is an excellent 'smith. On the other hand, I had a guy build me a 25-35 and it cost a lot less and I liked it so well, I gave it away...if that tells you anything.

One other thing, if I had a Browning marked Miroku 95, I'd be hard pressed to rebarrel it.....I have one of them too, still in 30-06. I'd choose a Winchester re-pro for my project rifle as I think the Browning rifles will retain their value much better.

I am of the opinion that these Jap 95's are finer rifles in all respects compared to the originals. The workmanship is top drawer, I know the modern materials are superior and tolerances much closer.

Char-Gar
10-17-2005, 10:51 PM
I have only had the rifle to the range once since I got it back. I fired a standard load, but I switched from a Remington 9.5 primer to the magnum version of the same. I did not notice any improvement in accuracy, but it was not less.

I am not ready to come to closure as the change in primers might have made a difference. I will need to rest with the standard primer to say anything definite.

The through bolt does increase the strength of the stock several fold.

NVcurmudgeon
10-18-2005, 12:23 AM
My .35 Whelen is a Ruger 77. Originally .30/06, it now has a 1:16 Lilja #4 contour (IIRC) 24" barrel. I deliberately chose the slower twist for accuracy with cast bullets, and have not been disappointed. It is excelllent with 200 RCBS, 220 NEI RN, and even shot well with a 255 gr. Hoch semi-spitzer. Getting ready for an elk hunt, I shot several groups of three 250 gr. Speer and Nosler bullets in less than an inch @ 100 yd. not bad for a geezer with a maybe 50 year old 2 3/4 X Redfield Bear Cub. I do hear tell you need a 12 twist for the Lyman 280 gr. 358009. Col. Whelen himself had a .35 built about 50 years ago and compromised with a 14 twist. He got good accuracy with jacketed bullets including 275 gr. Hornady and 300 gr. Barnes.

drinks
10-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Dan Pederson,
Classic Barrel and Gunworks,
Prescott ,AZ
Web site, cutrifle.com
He rebores barrels, can cut any twist, a friend had a barrel done and was really happy with it.
Check his site, he posts prices.
Looking at his site, it seems a rebore and rerifle for a .30-06 family rifle would be about $200.
Would be worthwhile checking it out.

Bret4207
10-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Although my Whelen is on an O3-A3 action I'll chime in. I'm complete;y sold on the 35 cal for cast and general big game hunting. Small game too with the right load. If I had to own just one rifle, the 35 would be a 1st or second choice. I don't think you'll be disapointed at all in your project. I think mine is 1-14 twist, a rebore by an unknown 'smith. Wearing a Weaver K-1.5 ( try and find one these days) I'm good out to as far as I can reasonably see.

Bass Ackward
10-19-2005, 07:24 AM
If I had to own just one rifle, the 35 would be a 1st or second choice.

Bret,

Yep. I'm glad every day that I got my hands on a 35 for cast hunting before I pass. Nicest comprimise between weight, recoil, accuracy, range and performance I ever saw for cast.

ben1025
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I have a 35 whelen in a rem mtn ks with a 16 twist also have a rem 700 I had rebarreled with a 14 twist a few years ago and haven't got around to shooting it. The 16 twist doen't stabalize a 280 gr cast bullet. 250 is ok but 200 gr rcbs is great. I shot the 280 @ 2200 FPS. I'm not the only one that mentioned the 16 twist is a little slow.(rem factory twist)

Shuz
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
My Whelen is a 700 Rem with a Douglass 1:12 bbl. Shoots the 358009 real well. I'm getting ready for the upcoming elk season and I verified the zero on the Whelen and the 358009 just the other day. First shot from a cold bbl was right where I left it last year, 4" high at 100 yds. Second shot was 2 inches high at 165 yds. I then decided "I'm good to go". I once owned a Rem Classic in .35 Whelen and it would not stabilize the 358009 at 2150fps with it's 1:16 twist. Many say the 1:14 is a good compromise, but I know for sure the 1:12 works! FWIW!--Shuz

Sky C.
10-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Gentlemen, one and all-

Thanks very much for your inputs about this project. Gun and funding are in hand - waiting on feedback from my targeted gunsmith. I'll be sure to post how this progresses.

Again - thanks for the feedback!

Best regards-

Sky C.