PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Glock advice

ranger1962
02-16-2016, 09:21 PM
My brother has one of those new fangled Glock pistols I'm a wheel gun man myself. Any way loaded up several different rn and rnds bullets they have always worked in 1911's not working in this Glock any advice? Should we try swc's ? Problem is gun won't go into battery misses by 1/4-1/2 in.

Went2kck
02-16-2016, 09:27 PM
My brother has one of those new fangled Glock pistols I'm a wheel gun man myself. Any way loaded up several different rn and rnds bullets they have always worked in 1911's not working in this Glock any advice? Should we try swc's ? Problem is gun won't go into battery misses by 1/4-1/2 in.
Cast should not be used in a Glock. the rifling is polyagnal or something like that it will lead up fast. Everything I have read said not to use cast boolits in them.

jmort
02-16-2016, 09:36 PM
There are many threads on this. Manufacturer says don't shoot cast, but many do with no problem. I would shoot cast if I owned a Glock. Just watch for leading.

KYCaster
02-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Lemme take a guess.......Does the caliber stamp say 45 GAP?

Jerry

Lefty Red
02-16-2016, 09:41 PM
I have used RN Casted bullets, that were very hard, in my Glocks and have had no issues. I know of one G17 that was used to shoot only cast, that was owner by a small ammo company owner here and no leading with hard hard cast bullets. If it's properly sized and hard, don't see an issue.

But, an aftermarket barrel is cheap insurance!

Lefty

tradbear55
02-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Lemme take a guess.......Does the caliber stamp say 45 GAP?

Jerry
That's the first thing that I thought, when he said 1/4 or 1/2 inch out of battery.

ranger1962
02-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Nope 45 acp. I checked that also.

Plate plinker
02-16-2016, 10:02 PM
What is the barrel stamped? Double check that, who knows if he picked it up used maybe? Given the barrel is correct pull the barrel and try the plunk test. what model is it?

Outer Rondacker
02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Go with RN seat them deep. Oh and you will most likely have to size to .451. Yep I said it. Front of the chamber is tighter then the end. Go on slug that thing. What Gen is it?

Gap haters settle down. I own one. Shoots great. Price was even better. Night sites four mags blue label with discount brand new 299.99. It does not get a lot of love but it does sleep behind the headboard with a mag pouch ready to defend my home if need be.

Wayne Smith
02-16-2016, 10:21 PM
No problem shooting cast in poly barrels if the boolit fits! Slug your barrel and fit a boolit to it and shoot away. Use a boolit too small and leading will occur.

KYCaster
02-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Go with RN seat them deep. Oh and you will most likely have to size to .451. Yep I said it. Front of the chamber is tighter then the end. Go on slug that thing. What Gen is it?

Gap haters settle down. I own one. Shoots great. Price was even better. Night sites four mags blue label with discount brand new 299.99. It does not get a lot of love but it does sleep behind the headboard with a mag pouch ready to defend my home if need be.

Don't assume that, because I mentioned 45 GAP, I'm a GAP hater.

I consider the 45 GAP one of their better ideas.....
No loss of performance vs. 45 ACP
Less powder to get the same performance
Fits the same grip size as the 9mm/40S&W

Fact is....I'm a Glock hater. I just can't warm up to the feel of the Glock grip. The only thing worse is the feel of the Glock 10mm/45 grip. Feels like a 2X6 rather than a 2X4.

Jerry [smilie=1:

Outer Rondacker
02-16-2016, 10:37 PM
I have a small grip thus the gap fits great.

wistlepig1
02-16-2016, 11:00 PM
I own a Gen 1 model 21 that shoots my casts well, no leading period! Sized .452, 12 Brindell, lubed with my version "Bull plate"
I have north of 10,000 rnds with no BOOM. In the past I used a 200 gr SWC but about 3 years ago I went to a Lee 230 TC and it worked well in the 21, colt and S&W.
Pull the barrel and do the plunk test. This will let you get the right oal for YOUR barrel. In one 2 day period I shot 1250 rnds of cast, after each day I ran a brush with patch and Ed's red, checked for leading[none]. If you are still worried about casts in a 45, buy an after market barrel.

wv109323
02-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Take the barrel out and try to fit the rounds in the chamber. Use a magic marker to coat one entire round. That should tell you where your interference is at.
Another reason why Glock does not want reloads in their pistols is the liberal amount of unsupported case. The exposed case will leave the "smiley face" on fired brass in some calibers. The worst is 10MM then 40S&W then 9MM then .45ACP. Regardless of what people say once brass is "bent" beyond it's elastic point permanent damage is done. Even if removed by push through sizing the structural damage is still there. You align the damaged area up multiple times in the unsupported area( by reloading fired brass) and you can get a ruptured case.
I would use caution and watch for leading which increases pressure.
As a note, I was with a fellow shooter. He had a Glock 10MM and was firing factory Armscor ammo. The case distortion was unbelievable. My thoughts were the manufacturer of the brass also makes a difference.

02-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Cast should not be used in a Glock. the rifling is polyagnal or something like that it will lead up fast. Everything I have read said not to use cast boolits in them.

Would you please not spread stuff like this? You admit you don't have a Glock. I assure you cast works fine in a Glock. I am shooting cast 9mm in my Glock 19 Gen 4. I used the stock barrel at first with no leading issues and good accuracy but because of the unsupported part of the chamber, I went to a KKM barrel. The KKM barrel specifically is designed and stated by the manufacturer to be for the user who wants to reload and wants to shoot cast. The better supported chamber area addresses the Glock's warning about not shooting reloads and the traditional rifling addresses concerns about poly rifling being more prone to leading. I shoot the Lee 124gr truncated cone, Lee 125gr round nose and an NOE hollow point round nose as cast from COWW. Lube is 45/45/10. Accuracy is good, no leading or cycling issues.