PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Molds question

rvpilot76
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I have decided that I'm going to have to go the custom route for my SMLE, as the bore slugs out at .315. The online design program is a little intimidating for me, as I don't know what dimensions to specify for a 215 grain bullet. I would like to have a meplat for killing game, and a Hornady gas check. The options for the GC are step shank or straight shank, and I'm not sure which is specified for the Hornady. I also am not sure how much of a meplat I can get away with and still have reliable feeding. I would like as big a meplat as possible. Also not sure how long of a nose I need as well. Is that measurement taken from the front of the case mouth to the end of the bullet nose? If so, how much clearance should I leave between the end of the bullet and the magazine for reliable feeding? I know these are a lot of questions to ask, but I could ask more based on all of the choices listed on the design program. If you guys could take a look at that and give me some direction as to the dimensions for a .315 diameter and 215 grain, wide meplat bullet for my SMLE, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks, you guys are the best.

Kevin

9.3X62AL
10-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Kevin--

My SMLE (BSA 19eighteen) has very similar internal dimensions to your own. My 190 grain MMFT (Mtn Mold Fat Thirty) drops at .3155" and has a straight shank. The step shank design element is an adaptation that enables the "default lube groove" created by the gas check shank to carry more lube--it can be adapted to any check diameter, as I understand it. My Lyman #454490 has this feature, it is not commonly encountered.

The 70% meplat on my boolits will cause a few hang-ups in both the 303 and the 9.3 rifles. Some overall length adjustments have fine-tuned those problems out for me.

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
............If you can do a cast of the front of the chamber (shoulder-neck), the throat and the leade you'll see pretty much exactly what you need.

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
10-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I have decided that I'm going to have to go the custom route for my SMLE, as the bore slugs out at .315. The online design program is a little intimidating for me, as I don't know what dimensions to specify for a 215 grain bullet. I would like to have a meplat for killing game, and a Hornady gas check. The options for the GC are step shank or straight shank, and I'm not sure which is specified for the Hornady. I also am not sure how much of a meplat I can get away with and still have reliable feeding. I would like as big a meplat as possible. Also not sure how long of a nose I need as well. Is that measurement taken from the front of the case mouth to the end of the bullet nose? If so, how much clearance should I leave between the end of the bullet and the magazine for reliable feeding? I know these are a lot of questions to ask, but I could ask more based on all of the choices listed on the design program. If you guys could take a look at that and give me some direction as to the dimensions for a .315 diameter and 215 grain, wide meplat bullet for my SMLE, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks, you guys are the best.

Kevin,

I will be glad to help you through a private message conversation if you are interested.

rvpilot76
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Kevin,

I will be glad to help you through a private message conversation if you are interested.
Thanks, that would be helpful.