PDA

View Full Version : Noe

Tenbender
02-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Bought my first NOE mold. A 360-180 WFN ,, 5 cavity. Should of got a 2 cavity. I can't get this thing hot.! Guess I will be shooting a lot of wrinkled boolits . lol

Beagle333
02-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Cast fast. Don't stop and admire them, don't put the sprues back, make a big ol' sprue puddle and when that thing changes color, dump it and load 'er up again. Cast like your arm is on fire until the boolits start dropping filled out and pretty. They you can slow down and relax a little bit, but you gotta get the operation good and hot first. :cool:

Alexn20
02-16-2016, 01:58 PM
I have the same mould and have had good success. It does tend to cool off fast if you don't keep up on the casting speed. I agree with the above suggestions. I also don't cull the boolits till you are done casting.

Buy a cheap hotplate at walmart. I got this one for under $10:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-Single-Burner/44659311

It helped a bunch to keep the mould temp up while putting sprues back in the pot etc...

Green Frog
02-16-2016, 03:24 PM
I have the same mould and have had good success. It does tend to cool off fast if you don't keep up on the casting speed. I agree with the above suggestions. I also don't cull the boolits till you are done casting.

Buy a cheap hotplate at walmart. I got this one for under $10:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-Single-Burner/44659311

It helped a bunch to keep the mould temp up while putting sprues back in the pot etc...

+1 on the hot plate to pre-heat the mould blocks. Gotta do it. You should have cleaned the (cold) mould already with dish detergent and water then cycle them hot to cold several times. Finally, start by filling the first cavity only, then a couple, then all of them. Then as somebody already said, CAST FAST! :cbpour:

hickfu
02-16-2016, 05:22 PM
heat your mold on a hot plate while your lead is melting in your pot. By the time your lead is ready, your mold will be plenty hot enough. I cast with a 5 cavity 430gr mold and never have a problem with it.

6thtexas
02-16-2016, 06:39 PM
heat your mold on a hot plate while your lead is melting in your pot. By the time your lead is ready, your mold will be plenty hot enough. I cast with a 5 cavity 430gr mold and never have a problem with it.

This

My first NOE 4 cavity I wanted to throw away as I couldn't get it hot enough. Come to find out my old furnace wasn't heating right! I heat them up on a hotplate and if I have to stop for a moment I put it back on the hotplate. Get the hang of start out hot and develop a smooth quick pattern of work and you will love that mold!

Mitch
02-16-2016, 07:03 PM
I just got 2 NOE molds today.the same as about 360-180 WFN PB 5 cavity and a 225-48 SP GC $ cavity.the fist thing I noticed was how beefy they are.I have clend them and they are now cooling off from the first heating.depending on how long it takes me to heat cycle them might be casting with them tomarrow or Thursday for sure.Thanks foe the tip on castin with the NOE molds.

chevyiron420
02-16-2016, 08:37 PM
I also found I had to run my pot hotter than I usually do.

clintsfolly
02-16-2016, 11:42 PM
NoE is the first place I look when looking for a new mold! Al is great to work with and will call you back if you have ?s.

LenH
02-17-2016, 09:45 AM
As stated above cast fast and just keep going. I have a cull bucket that I use while sizing. The thing is that I really don't have that many culls.

stubert
02-17-2016, 10:05 AM
I just recently purchased a 460-350 grain 4 cav. brass mold from NOE. The mold needs to be run at 470 deg. (I had it drilled for a temp. probe) Get a hotplate!

leftiye
02-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Put your mold on the hotplate while you inspect your bullets. You can adjust the plate to have optimum mold temp every time you pour. A 1/2" thick aluminum disc w/ hole in the middle helps - stores heat while you cast and dumps it into your mold when you set the mold on it. Also flattens out the hotplate cycling surges. A 1/2 gallon can with the side cut out makes it into an oven.

Then you can run your mold as hot as you want. You can cast almost any lead that is molten. (any light bulbs popping?)

rintinglen
02-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Beagle is dead on. The advice on pre-heating is also valuable and will help you get good boolits. The only other tidbit I can add is that NOE molds seem to benefit more from heat cycling than any others that I have used. They get better each time you use them up to the third or 4th casting session. Then, they just crank out good boolits.

Iowa Fox
02-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Scrub it up well and break it in per included instructions. Use a hot plate. It will cast nice bullets and you will be pleased. Might take a couple two three sessions but it will come around.

02-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Let me jump on the hotplate bandwagon. It's key to get things up to temp and moving. Once going I actually have to slow things up with my 6 cavity Lee molds. But, you need the hotplate to get you there and keep you going. They're cheap and you'll be amazed how much better it gets for you.

Blammer
02-18-2016, 07:17 PM
dip the corner of the mould in the melt, let it set there for about 3-5 min's. your mould will be hotter, try casting, if it's not hot enough, dip it again.

Tenbender
02-18-2016, 08:10 PM
I cast more the other day. It is better. I just didn't give it enough hot plate time.