PDA

View Full Version : Big Boy!

ncbearman
02-16-2016, 12:05 PM
A big friggin' moose from somewhere. Maybe he's real maybe he's not. But stil..........a big friggin moose!

4rdwhln
02-16-2016, 12:22 PM
When I was a young boy I worked on a scout that had been rolled on its side by a moose. The story was a guy shot over the hood at the Moose who then turned and charged the vehicle.. There were bone and horn pieces found in the frame and suspension..Have been ten yards away from several in my life.I always remember how mean they can be and slowly fade back. That sure looks like one who could flip a rig if so inclined.

Smoke4320
02-16-2016, 12:22 PM
If this is real .. consider a normal dirt road even single lane will be 7 to 8 ft wide making him at least 10 ft tall
wow !!!

Hickok
02-16-2016, 03:12 PM
I would have to have my "88 Magnum" at the ready for that fellow!

tim338
02-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Wow that thing is huge! A moose hunt is definitely on my bucket list.

GRUMPA
02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Something that size I consider Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner for a while....

bearcove
02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Call one up during the rut. Exciting!

More fun with a bow

Outer Rondacker
02-16-2016, 06:32 PM
If I was the person standing at camera point with a gun I am not sure I would fire it. LOL I mean it. It would have to be one BIG GUN to make me even think about it.

snowwolfe
02-16-2016, 06:38 PM
I have seen a lot of moose in my day and something is a wee bit fishy about this photo.

dragon813gt
02-16-2016, 07:04 PM
This pic has been floating around for awhile. I never looked into if it was real or not.

Geezer in NH
02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Nice bull but they are big. He is not oversized by any means IMHO

bearcove
02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Yeah he looks a bit big, but might be a narrow 2track...

Brasso
02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
C'mon guys, that's a single lane logging road.

bearcove
02-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Don't know where you're from but they don't put gravel on the loggin roads where I been.

xs11jack
02-16-2016, 08:39 PM
If that thing is real, he could step right over the current batch of cars on the road today. Or step up into a truck bed.
Ole Jack

ncbearman
02-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Dang guys! It's a big bull moose. Enjoy.

bearcove
02-16-2016, 08:59 PM
They are tall, a friend hit one in his truck, 3/4 ton 4x4 went right through his windshield. Pipe rack saved him, moose's rack was caught in it. Front of the truck was OK, moose went right over the hood. Don't know about this photo, I don't worry about that stuff much, the gravel is what I'd be most suspect of. The trees look right. Size is about right too. A large bull is a long legged big thing.

Oh well don't have a dog in this fight, does make me want to go moose hunting though.

Blackwater
02-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Wow! We have NOTHING that big here in GA! Even the sasquatches don't grow THAT big!

Kevinkd
02-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Yep, they are HUGE. We got one that we had to quarter to get out of the bush. Figured about 1280 pounds total. To take the head off, I crawled into the chest cavity and cut the spine with a hatchet from the inside. I'm 6' about 230 lbs. They can get to be crazy big.

MrWolf
02-16-2016, 10:07 PM
That is one big sucker. Don't think I have ever seen one in the wild.

Cariboo
02-16-2016, 10:15 PM
First bull moose I shoot was with a 30-30 the antlers were wide enough to go side to side on my friends 1950 chev panel

kungfustyle
02-16-2016, 10:19 PM
Shoot that thing with a bow? Why not put salt on its tail? I agree 88 magnum all the way. The only thing down here in Florida that big is the mosquitoes.

Cariboo
02-16-2016, 10:33 PM
I would be inclined to say that is a driveway, the person also took the picture from a low position.

GhostHawk
02-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I was bow hunting along a river once in northern Minnesota where there was a narrow trail along the river with a dead oxbow 20 yards away. Making a natural choke point for anything traveling along the river. I was leaned up against a big old box elder tree, but still on my feet. Only a few inches lower than my normal 5'8"

Bull moose went by me so close at the last second I had to move my head down and back so the antlers would clear my hat. I could not see over his back. He had green teeth, bad breath, and big ones like cannonballs.

I was still standing there a half hour later when some friends came by. I was stammering mm mmoo, MMMooos.
Finally I got it out, MOOSE, big, bull, and pointed down. They came over and looked, big tracks less than 3 feet from my feet.

"You were standing there when it went by?" Yep. "was it big?" Real big.

Later that night around midnight i wake up and realize that dad is in my room, next to my bed, hunched over, going through my clothes.

"what are you looking for dad" "Well I ran into a couple of your hunting buddy's, and they told this impossible tail of my son so close to a bull moose that he had to move his head to let the horns go by. So they talked me into coming home to check your pants"

No dad, didn't mess my pants.

Dad and ended up having a long talk about fear, facing the ones you can face. Staying away from the ones you can't. And the nature of courage. The kind of talk every boy needs as he is growing into manhood.

Moose up here tend to be as tall as a tall horse, strong enough to rip out a 1/4 mile of fence if it gets tangled in it.
Not fast, but that swinging lope has been known to cover 50 miles in a single night.
Normally shy but caught at the wrong time have been known to attack men, men with guns, cars, tree stands, etc.

That road looks small, but the moose does look big. Wait till you see one close enough to touch. And look at those antlers, that if he wanted to, could just turn and grind you into a tree.

The worst is I have been scared far worse by a little cow moose 2/3rds his size. I survived that one too.

But that is another story.

dragon813gt
02-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Don't know where you're from but they don't put gravel on the loggin roads where I been.

Normal practice on public land around here. They put it down and are required to remove it when done. Of course they do a shoddy job removing it and it makes travel a pain.

Hickok
02-17-2016, 08:07 AM
That moose looks a lot like this woman and what it would do to you if you made it mad!

Geezer in NH
02-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Don't know where you're from but they don't put gravel on the loggin roads where I been.Northern New England the logging roads are gravel so the trucks can move the drive 60-70 mph on them.

Skidder roads don't have gravel.

Clay M
02-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Very beautiful animal, and one I've always wanted to hunt.
But ..I am running out of time and money..;-)

Outer Rondacker
02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Northern New England the logging roads are gravel so the trucks can move the drive 60-70 mph on them.

Skidder roads don't have gravel. We even have some bridges that will make you wonder how they could afford it. Log trucks loaded tend to be a bit heavy. The closer to the mill the more they guys push their luck and load them up.

bedbugbilly
02-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Naw . . . it's not a big Moose . . . it's a small road!

Menner
02-17-2016, 12:03 PM
We don't got Dem round here he said happily bet he would eat a lot of soybeans
Closest I have ever been to one is a local taxidermist had one hanging in his shop and I was impressed to say the least. It was a shoulder mount had to be close to 4' from the wall to the end of his nose and I would bet that I could lay my 5'9" butt in his rack like I was in a hammock.
Tony

Hardcast416taylor
02-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Had a speaker at our gun club once that had just returned from hunting the Yukon. The set of moose antlers minus the skull was wider than his 5`4" wife standing inside the spread. I believe he was using a .340 Weatherby Mag. as his rifle to take it. Another friend of mine that was on a guided moose hunt in North Ontario was given some sage advice by his guide as they canoed across a lake, `Don`t shoot one if it`s in the water`! I guess they are a real chore to get out of the water to begin processing.Robert

OS OK
02-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Call one up during the rut. Exciting!

More fun with a bow

I read a well written article years ago about just that…It jumped right into, or should I say 'plowed' right into the blind he was in…that article had me squirming in my easy chair!

jonp
02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Isnt that the picture from last year of a moose up in New Brunswick?

ncbearman
02-18-2016, 01:07 PM
OP edited for those of you that think the internet is true! haha

TenTea
02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Moose was surprised when he crossed back, later that day...

bearcove
02-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Yeah! Thats a mighty nice jackalope

jonp
02-18-2016, 07:43 PM
Northern New England the logging roads are gravel so the trucks can move the drive 60-70 mph on them.

Skidder roads don't have gravel.
I'll attest to that. They also have large signs "logging trucks have right of way". That is a big moose but most people don't have an actual idea of how big they are. They are very tall in the legs for the snow. Last one I guided for in VT went 783lbs dressed I think and was a very nice bull with a 54in spread I think it was. I have also seen bigger and guided one almost in the same place near my camp several years before that which had a 63in spread. First time I saw it I was out bird hunting with my 20g Benelli. It was lieing in an old log yard and when I came up on it I was maybe 20yrds from it. My first thought was "I don't have near enough gun" and backed off slowly.

People ask me for advice in moose hunting and my advice is always the same: Shoot one near a road.

Blackwater
02-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Don't know moose, really, since they don't have any habitat here in Ga. but I took my que on the perception of his size from the size and diameter of his legs. Most moose pics I've seen have their legs appearing just a mite on the spindly side, but this one's looked VERY Well developed and thick. That usually only happens, I thought, when they get fully mature and are very well fed, and that makes them heavier than most. Can anyone verify this basic principle for me? Only ones I've ever seen were in a zoo, but even there, they were rather impressive creatures.

And anything that dumb and subject to attacking things without discretion is worthy of being afraid of. Unpredictability is always a danger when combined with size and strength. Ask anyone who's ever dealt with cows very much! They kill more people each year than a lot of things we fear more, like snakes.

Animals like the one in the pic inspire awe in me from their simple majestic presence and awesome abilities.

bearcove
02-18-2016, 08:04 PM
They have very long legs, better to walk in deep snow...

Outer Rondacker
02-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Man I have shot rabbit twice that size. Leave the little ones go till they get bigger I always say.

Artful
02-19-2016, 02:56 AM
I remember I was in Alaska and you had to take school bus from Parking Lot at Denali back into the interior. So this moose comes thru the parking lot looking like a schooner sailing the sea's - comes up to the bus and was looking at us eye to eye before continuing on - they are powerful critters.

OverMax
02-19-2016, 06:22 AM
That size of one in comparison to a bull Elk makes the Elk look like a barnyard goat. Seen a couple moose in this local involved in car accidents. How people manage to hit them crossing a road in daylight has always amazed me. Car~pick-up~semi-truck always looses in such entanglements.

starmac
02-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Pretty easy to hit in broad daylight sometimes. I watched one run the red light on vanhorn and cushman last week, it never even slowed down, much less tried to stop. lol

A few years ago one of my drivers and I stopped and were walking back to a one vehicle accident. About the time we hot around 75 yaards or so from the truck, my driver mentioned that the guy probably wrecked dodgeing that moose up there. Turned out he was right and it was immediately noticable that the moose was very much peod. If you want to feel very small and helpless try standing somewhere within three foot of a full grown very mad snortin and pawing full grown moose for a minute or so, with NOWHERE to go. This moose left and came back three times, before he finally decided to let us go on about our business. lol

TXGunNut
02-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Got close enough to smell a moose more than once in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area a few times when I was a kid. Now I know why the guide was so nervous.

starmac
02-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Somewhere on the worldwide net is a video of a moose chewing on the broadhead of a bowhunters nocked arrow. Now that is getting close. lol