PDA

View Full Version : Stains in a new tub

snowwolfe
02-15-2016, 02:56 PM
We had a new cast iron tub installed in our house last month and today the wife was cleaning it so she could use it when we move in later this week. She noticed the bottom had a spattering of brown spots. She tried cleaning the tub with no success. Called the company who made the tub, Barclay, and they basically said to bad, call Lowes where we bought it. Told them it was a special order direct from them to Lowes but still, to bad, call Lowes.
Anyhow, have any suggestions for trying to get rid of the marks before we go the return route? We can see the spots but when we run our fingers over them we can't feel them. Almost like it is some sort of paint. We were told by Barclay not to use any type of abrasive or solvent.

MediumCore358
02-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Is the tub cast iron enamel coated? Maybe try a rag with fine automotive polish. I'd try a very small spot first.

snowwolfe
02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Didn't work. I am beginning to think it is part of the finish. Going to try white vinegar mixed with baking soda next.

mold maker
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Is It possibly rust spots from micro holes in the glaze?

jeepyj
02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
We use a product called ZUD. We now have to order off amazon because the little hardware store closed where we used to get it. I can't tell you why it works but we use a bunch in the apartments on tubs, toilets and sinks and always seem to obtain good results.
jeepyj

Tackleberry41
02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Bad prep? Or as said thin spots where it can rust? Doubt it will get better on its own.

But does sound like your typical company anymore, you paid, the check is cashed so not our problem anymore. Plus its already installed so all the work to take it out, they will blame it on install, install will blame it on manufacturer, the general run around hoping you will give up.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Rust coming up from under the coating, poor prep…that's why you can't feel it. Give it a while and the rust will buckle the finnish!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-15-2016, 04:34 PM
try CLR if it doesn't touch it then I am with OSOK it is under the finish

jonp
02-15-2016, 05:36 PM
If CLR doesn't fix it then it can't be fixed. Me, I'd call lowes about the defective tub.

Vann
02-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Pumice stick or Barkeepers' s friend

jcren
02-15-2016, 05:42 PM
+1 for clr or the like. If the carpenters left shavings from install holes in the tub, they will stain.

snowwolfe
02-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Tub was installed after the other stuff was finished. Interesting enough the company who made the tub, Barclay, hasn't gotten back to me yet. The blemishes appear to be in the finish, not on it. Went back to Lowes and they had a pretty good attitude about the entire thing. They are going to call the company and get back with me in a day or two.
There shouldn't be blemishes in the finish of a $3,000 cast iron bathtub

Smoke4320
02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
If CLR does not clean it up I would demand a replacement ..
The Stains are either metal shaving on top that rusted ..or under the finish (which you can not fix )

higgins
02-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Looks like rust spots from under the finished, therefore, don't do anything to try to clean it. In other words don't give anyone a reason to claim you damaged it. Lowes will probably make it right. Don't try to handle it through the manufacturer. Lowe's handles this sort of thing every day.

snowwolfe
02-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Looks like rust spots from under the finished, therefore, don't do anything to try to clean it. In other words don't give anyone a reason to claim you damaged it. Lowes will probably make it right. Don't try to handle it through the manufacturer. Lowe's handles this sort of thing every day.

Great advice and that is the plan. Not going to mess with the finish. The only bad thing is we might get stuck with the bill to handle the labor since Lowes didn't install it.

bearcove
02-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I had a steel sailboat and that is what a rust stain looks like weather it under the finish or metal flakes in the finish. Take a picture to lowes and talk to the manager about it. I agree don't try to fix it. It should be a warranty issue, including labor.

MtGun44
02-15-2016, 09:32 PM
The finish has holes, is defective, will just get worse. Get it retured
ASAP.

Bill

KYCaster
02-15-2016, 11:23 PM

Great advice and that is the plan. Not going to mess with the finish. The only bad thing is we might get stuck with the bill to handle the labor since Lowes didn't install it.

Not the installer's fault if the tub is defective. Lowe's should take care of the entire cost of replacement.

Jerry

groundsclown
02-16-2016, 09:12 AM
The finish has holes, is defective, will just get worse. Get it retured
ASAP.

Bill

^^^^This^^^^

Also as a backup plan see if your local tv stations have a consumer complaint reporter that you can contact. I've never gone that route myself but it's truly
amazing to see a company spin 180* on their customer service once a media outlet gets on it.

Like Bill stated. It'll get worse. Give Lowes the chance to make it right but after that pull the big guns out.

Good luck.

bedbugbilly
02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Did you install the tub or have a contractor do it? Were the spots not evident when it was installed?

Obviously you have tried the conventional methods of removing the spots and they aren't working so my thought would be that the tub is defective - possible pin holes in the finish and rust coming up through as already mentioned - but rust on enamel can usually be cleaned off with conventional cleaners - no different than rust from high iron content in water.

I think the response of the manufacturer was pretty lame. But, start with Lowes and go from there. My family had a lumber/hardware business in the family for close to 100 years. When something of this nature happened, the customer would usually com to us (the supplier) first and if necessary, we'd stop and take a look at it and then act as the "go between" between the customer and the manufacturer. Usually, after we'd notify our mfg. rep. of the problem, they'd take a look at it and see what was going on. Not all mfg. reps are wanting to do much as they represent the mfg. but if it is a definite defect, then the tub should be replaced by them at no cost . . . and you might also add a little pressure on them if it is their fault, to pay for the work to change it out.

Just "keep your cool" about it and start with Lowes and go from there and see what they will do about it. You catch more files with honey . . but if it is a defect in the finish, stick to your guns and make them replace it. They in turn, can deal with the mfg. and get their settlement from them.

I'm assuming that after the tub was installed, it was covered up to protect the finish on it while the rest of the work was done (if it is an enclosed tub) as far as wall prep, tiling, etc. to insure nothing got on the finish from those operations? Check that out as well with those that did the work (tiler, contractor, etc.).

KAF
02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Why wasn't the tub inspected before the installtion? I guess I am the only one that does such a thing. I don't want to go thru the hassle of having things tore up again, so a beforehand inspection is a valuable thing.

Tackleberry41
02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
A good installer would have looked it over before installation. Most would just say screw it we got paid put it in so we can get to the next job. Op should have to expect to make some noise. The manufacturer doesn't want to be on the hook, so will pass the blame. Lowes doesn't want to pay, nor will the installer. They will all pass the buck hoping it goes away.

snowwolfe
02-16-2016, 03:43 PM
You guys are jumping to conclusions. The tub was installed about 5-6 weeks ago. No one noticed the marks when it was installed. Most likely because they were not there. If it is rust as I now suspect it will "grow" bigger as time goes by.
The Lowes manager called us today and asked for photos which we sent. At this point in time there is no point in being angry with either Lowes or the contractor. Neither of them are at fault. The contractor who installed the tub is also building the house and when he came out today we discussed it. He said the same thing, the marks were not on the tub when it went in.
Sometimes issues like these take a little time to work out. Right now I am optimistic Lowes will come through. Time will tell.

Geezer in NH
02-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Manufacture problem seems to be lawyer time to me. They will not help you unless they feel threatened IMHO

Pipefitter
02-16-2016, 08:17 PM
I ordered a Husquvara chainsaw last year from Lowes, paid cash when ordered, was told it would be in the local store in two weeks or less. Two weeks go by and no saw, called the store manager and found out the store never ordered the saw. A week later I got notified that the saw was in, Talked to the store manager when I picked it up and he gave me $150 cash back for my troubles. Not bad in getting a $450 saw for $300.

snowwolfe
02-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Being polite and patient worked. Lowes called me today and left a voicemail on my phone and told me Barclay was sending a new tub. I am hoping they cover the installation costs as well but we will cross that bridge when the tub arrives.

MtGun44
02-17-2016, 11:23 PM
Sounds like they are doing the right thing. Good luck. Rust spots are 'holidays' (holes) in the enamel
covering, and are a manufacturing defect, so you are getting treated right, it seems.

Hope they will cover the installation, as you said. They should.

Sweetpea
02-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all.

We do a lot of work for Lowe's, and they are always quick to satisfy the customer.

They figure that one customer that feels screwed costs them business with at least ten more customers.

MT Gianni
02-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Could be drywallers or electricians dropped screws or something else while installing. Was it always covered with cardboard until painting was finished? If not you may have an insurance claim rather than a manufactures one.

AK Caster
02-27-2016, 08:18 PM
I doubt a falling screw could damage the tub and cause rust spots all over the bottom of the tub.

tinsnips
02-28-2016, 09:41 AM
I think your mistake was getting it from a box store. I am a plumber an run into stuff like this all the time . I feel bad for you. That is why I buy all my supplies from my wholesaler they take care of these problems asap. When doing a new house I won't use any bathbay or tub from anyone else, they are very expense and a lot of work to change after the fact. good luck

snowwolfe
02-28-2016, 11:16 AM
No mistake, the replacement tub is already in my garage waiting to be installed. Thumbs up to Lowes. And to answer the other question this tub was the last thing to go into the master bathroom. All floors, walls, painting, etc was finished prior to the tub going in. The damage is in the finish, not on it.