PDA

View Full Version : Take Care You Never Know

dave 45-90
02-15-2016, 11:10 AM
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/85871936-story

starmac
02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Bullets lodged in the doors and GLASS of the houses across the street, ummm, just what kind of ammo was this? Must have been majic.

MrWolf
02-15-2016, 11:28 AM
I liked the "tons of ammunition" remark. Yea, right.

fryboy
02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
I recall an article on testing ammo in fires years ago, basically it wouldn't penetrate fireman's gear , and the case was more dangerous than the projectile ,too add to this I once did a fire clean up/demolition job ,in what was left of the garage was a toolbox, in the middle drawer was a burnt m-43 round ( or rather what was left of it ,7.62x39) the case had ruptured but the projectile was laying about an inch in front of the remains of the steel case..however if the round had been contained in something like a chamber or die it would indeed go off more like a gun ( and more possibilities of causing more harm )

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
I am wondering if steel cased berdan primed ammo with sealer around the bullet and a lot of neck tension would give it greater range but across the street ans stuck into something seems very strange.

I burned the trash at the range last summer , some one had left a bunch of live ammo in the trash , I didn't stay standing next to the barrel when it started going off but nothing made any new holes in the barrel ever time I though it was done a few more rounds went off it was like that for about 30 minutes

fryboy
02-15-2016, 12:33 PM
The above mentioned m-43 round was steel cased,berdan primed and from the remains looked like it had been sealed but ...that part is only on what my eyes perceived, mostly that type of ammo is but not always

Blackwater
02-15-2016, 12:51 PM
A friend's home burned and it contained MUCH powder and loaded ammo. The firefighters stood nearby and just watched and listened as it popped and fizzed. If any guns are stored with loaded chambers, THOSE might be dangerous, but he managed to grab the only gun in the house with a loaded chamber as he left the place, and he let the firemen know there weren't any guns with loaded chambers in it. He lost over 100 guns in that fire, and had ZERO insurance on them. That'll really set a fellow back, BIG TIME!

If any ammo stuck bullets in homes across the st., the st. must have been narrow, and the homes made of the soft lumber so common today. I guess stranger things have happened, but stories like this sometimes have a way of being told without a real basis in fact. So ... I choose to remain skeptical. And then too, these days, there seem to be some who'd find a bullet and hammer it into their home so they could claim an insurance windfall. Ya' jes' never really know these days, do we????

alleyoop
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.saami.org/videos/sporting_ammunition_and_the_firefighter.cfm

Is this maybe the video
you recall ?

popper
02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
News stated 100 rnds went off. Looks more like an auto-in-garage fire. Yes FF will let it burn if ammo starts going off. I don't blame them.

MarkP
02-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Primer cups fly out of the pockets when ignited; not going to tell you how I know this.

leeggen
02-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Mythbusters did a show on exploding shells, was quite interesting. Cases did more damage than bullits. that brass flew everywhere.
CD

Bad Water Bill
02-16-2016, 04:11 PM
SOFT WALLS

I watched a contractor build a house in a very expensive neighborhood.

The 4 corners went up and a 4 X 8 sheet of particle board was used to keep things square.

The rest of the outside wall was made of styrofoam then covered with aluminum siding.

Yes I am sure a projectile could have stuck in that wall.

bearcove
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
When I was a kid we shot 22lr in slingshots at the new brick houses they were building. If they hit right the case would zip off ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRR. We found a few bullets laying by the wall. Like a little rocket. cases fly not the bullets.

MtGun44
02-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Popping ammo could injure an unprotected eye, but as said above, it has been extensively
tested and verified that normal firefighter gear will protect them, as it did in this case.

Bill

458mag
02-18-2016, 09:40 AM
primer cups fly out of the pockets when ignited; not going to tell you how i know this.
boy o boy do they!!!