PDA

View Full Version : Walter Clines book "The Muzzleloading Rifle, then and Now"!

koger
02-14-2016, 11:01 PM
Saw the earlier post about Ned Roberts book, I have read it over and over, for 20+ years, along with the Walter Cline book I listed above in the title. Both of these are available from Wolf Publishing, I believe, same company that publishes Rifle and Handloader magazine. He was a veritable wealth of knowledge, on all types of older ML rifles, especially KY and Southern rifles, along with Civil War sniper rifles. The NMLRA national range is named after him, shot there many times. A old gunsmith that lived in my county, Wyatt Atkinson is mentioned in this book, knew him when he was old, know his sons and grandsons.

DIRT Farmer
02-15-2016, 06:25 PM
We keep both in stock in the NMLRA store.

koger
02-15-2016, 09:44 PM
That is where I bought mine, many moons ago!

Whitesmoke
02-15-2016, 11:10 PM
I have read the both the Walter Cline book and the Ned Roberts book.

From my point of view shooting, what we in Australia termed black powder "slug guns" the Walter Cline book offered a lot in gaining the history and development of such guns but not so much of a "how to" element that the practical long range Shooter could use.

In those days if a book even mentioned black powder I would check it out with a view of obtaining any useful snippet of information to improve my BP shooting.

I felt that Ned Roberts offered far more technical information about long range caplocks and that was more like we were seeking in those times.

Stupidly I gave my Walter Cline book away and the Ned Roberts book had to go back to its owner without me be able to fully digest all of its content.

However times change and so do our needs