PDA

View Full Version : Rough Day at the Range!

TXGunNut
02-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Nice enough day here in TX today (is it still February?) so I loaded up my range bag, cased some guns and spent most of the day at the club. After the mandatory breeze shooting was out of the way I settled in for a round (or four ;-) ) of trap. First round went quite well then the action of my shotgun refused to open. Guy I was shooting with had an extra gun, a Browning semi-auto, in the rack and graciously offered to let me finish the round with it. Gun shot like it was made for me, I even hit most of my birds.
Then it was on to the rifle range and things went well enough with the first rifle. It hates the PB boolit but likes another well enough. Second rifle is a recent acquisition and it shot quite well until I tried to adjust the scope. Vertical adjustment wouldn't move so gun #2 retired early.
All things considered it was a nice day, I don't have many equipment failures but two in one day? I guess I better get to work cleaning and fixing.:-(

BwBrown
02-14-2016, 10:18 PM
I would have to say that a bad day at the range is still better than ... (you can finish it as you wish)

Got up this morning, it was 7 degrees Fahrenheit. Went to church, spent the rest of the day curled up in front of the fire.
Yes, it is still February!

TXGunNut
02-15-2016, 01:52 AM
I've been hearing about your cold snap, fireplace is a good place to be. Stay warm!
Trap gun seems to be OK, finally got it open and it seems to be working OK. Found a 20-30 yr old Citori tonight, 98% gun with the original Invector chokes. Fits me good, price was right, now I have a very nice spare. It's not a trap gun like my 725 but it's a very nice gun.
Went down there to buy a choke tube case; guess what I forgot?

Taylor
02-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I have 6 rifles I need to get to the range.Rounds loaded ready to go.Weather is supposed to get to the high 60's by the end of the week.

shooter2
02-15-2016, 08:48 AM
I used to love days like that. Hit the range, shoot, shoot the bull with friends, eat, shoot some more, watch others shoot... Before you know it you've put two to three hundred rounds through the gun.

I'm sure you know this but the three most important things with trap and skeet are: The gun must fit, it must have a good trigger, and it must have a fast lock time. One bird at a time until you get twenty five, then a hundred. Did I mention that the gun MUST fit?

Blessings...

I once had the pleasure of watching the National Champion shoot a round of skeet. That's when I realized that there was good shooting and unbelievably good shooting. He was fast!

OS OK
02-15-2016, 10:02 AM
I used to love days like that. Hit the range, shoot, shoot the bull with friends, eat, shoot some more, watch others shoot... Before you know it you've put two to three hundred rounds through the gun.

I'm sure you know this but the three most important things with trap and skeet are: The gun must fit, it must have a good trigger, and it must have a fast lock time. One bird at a time until you get twenty five, then a hundred. Did I mention that the gun MUST fit?

Blessings...

I once had the pleasure of watching the National Champion shoot a round of skeet. That's when I realized that there was good shooting and unbelievably good shooting. He was fast!

I remember how tense I was trying to get that first 25 patch…seems like a lifetime ago! I was 25 then…dang, that was 4 decades ago…was a lifetime.

popper
02-15-2016, 01:25 PM
GS got a Browning for Christmas - very nice gun. I like my 20ga. Xplor better but have to get it to cycle all the time before I go to Dallas to try trap & sporting. Failure happen & bent rims will lock them up fast. Worse when you put the firing pin in wrong on an AR and it won't shoot at all. Or forget ammo. Red face.