PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Lee Mold

forrest-hunter
02-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Accidentally got beeswax on and in my 58 cal. REAL bullet mold - tried dipping it in pot - did not do any good - what is the best way to clean the mold?

OptimusPanda
02-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Could boil it out, then brush some kerosene or wax remover in the cavities.

jimkim
02-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Have you tried pouring bullets? I would think the wax would melt and burn out with enough pours. Just toss the boolits back in the pot.

forrest-hunter
02-14-2016, 09:33 PM
thats what I thought but lead does not solidify

Hickory
02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Have you tried pouring bullets? I would think the wax would melt and burn out with enough pours. Just toss the boolits back in the pot.
This method will leave a varnish inside the cavity that will be almost impossible to remove.

forrest-hunter
02-14-2016, 09:52 PM
No wonder I can't get cleaned out. Will order a new one

fryboy
02-14-2016, 10:23 PM
If you've already tried casting with it then it requires something different ... a good carb cleaner soaking followed by ajax and a tooth brush,if you haven't then at first heat is your friend, warm wax removes easier then follow with the carb cleaner and then ajax,a strong vinegar water mix also helps remove waxy films, elbow grease required for all the above, a new mold if funds permit is the easy way out

jcren
02-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Brake cleaner (some carb cleaners have parrifin to prevent corrosion of the zinc) and a good scrub with soap and toothbrush. Most have done the same thing, I did more than once, and no need to replace the mold.

Walla2
02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Brake cleaner (some carb cleaners have parrifin to prevent corrosion of the zinc) and a good scrub with soap and toothbrush. Most have done the same thing, I did more than once, and no need to replace the mold.

Do this. Still need elbow grease though.

fryboy
02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Gumount spray can and Berry's dip/soak are the two kinds I use,either eats carbon and I've had no problem with wash and rinse afterwards but ...even should he find one that does have paraffin in it the ajax would make short work of it and leave it clean ( without etching the surface as muratic acid would ) look up tips for cleaning aluminum before home anodizing

bstone5
02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
I clean molds with Bar Tenders Helper and a stiff tooth brush. Scrub well all thru the mold cavaty with the mold open.

Works well for cleaning the mold. I use a lot of steel Master Caster molds and oil is used to keep from rusting. Clean all molds before putting in Master Caster Machine.

kenyerian
02-15-2016, 12:51 PM
I clean molds with Bar Tenders Helper and a stiff tooth brush. Scrub well all thru the mold cavaty with the mold open.

Works well for cleaning the mold. I use a lot of steel Master Caster molds and oil is used to keep from rusting. Clean all molds before putting in Master Caster Machine. this is what I use.

forrest-hunter
02-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Got mold working again - used Gumount spray, a good scrubbing with bartenders friend and toothbrush, 230 degrees in oven to dry, cleaned out again with lighter fluid and finally re-smoked - thanks for all the help