PDA

View Full Version : Making Hollow Points

docone31
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
This question is for the "What ifs" crowd. I am not sure I would ever do it.
Is there an efficient way to make hollow points on cast bullets
I realize there are hollow point molds out there. Lyman Devastator comes to mind.
Is there a way, and does it make a difference worth while.

dakotashooter2
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Forster makes a hollow pointer for their case trimmer and from what I have heard it works pretty well. My preference is to cast them. Buckshot does a fine job of HPing moulds at a reasonable price. You will get mixed opinions on whether HPs make a difference or not. Some claim they shoot more accurately and that seems to be the case in at least one of my guns.

:castmine:

Shuz
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Forster makes a hollow point attachment for their case trimmer. It consists of a drill bit and a bushing or collar that holds the loaded cartridge. My experience with the device has not been good with the .44 mag. The drill bit "blinds" up with lead alloy turnings, rendering the method quite cumbersome. Casting hollow points with a mould is a much easier way to go.

I've not been able to actually prove that hollow points are any more accurate than regular boolits, but they do really "open up" or break-up much faster than any solid, and the rate can be dependent on the depth of the hole as well as the alloy.

FWAddit
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I have a Forster hollow-pointing tool which I have used only on the Lyman 245-gr. 358318 round nose bullet. I didn't test that lot of bullets for hardness, but they were noticeably softer than a lot that tested out at BHN 15 on my Lee hardness tester. At an estimated 1750 fps from a bolt-action .35 Rem, this bullet worked very well on a shoulder shot. On a different deer shot high through the ribs it punched a clean hole through the lung tissue that looked to be about .50 caliber. I want more dramatic expansion on lung shots.

I switched to the RCBS 200-gr. flat nose, which works better on through-the-rib-cage shots (without hollow pointing) but still penetrates through lots of muscle.

Next project is to drive the hollow-pointed 358318 faster from my .35 Whelen and see how that turns out.

Larry Gibson
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I've been using the Forster HP'er for years with the Forster case trimmer. They originally made two sizes. I have the smaller one with the 1/8" drill. Wish I had gotten the larger one too. While using a HP mould is certainly easier the Forster tool does a good job and is not difficult to use. The smaller 1/8" works well on .30 through .41 cast bullets of appropriate alloys for expansion. The 1/8" HP is a little small for .44 and .45 bullets. Below is a picture of some Lyman 105 gr GC'd SWCs that have been HP'd for the .30 Carbine.

Larry Gibson

mooman76
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
There are some her that drill the HP with a drill press. Shouldn't be much harder than using a HP mould! I thought it would be fun til I got my HP mould for my 45-70 and it isn't as fun as it seems. I resently bought an old Lee 44HP and it is easy to use!

HORNET
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
?? The Forster's that I have use a 1/16" bit 'for rifle' and a 1/8" bit 'for pistol'. I'd rather cast them. It's much faster than drilling and probably more repeatable and concentric.