PDA

View Full Version : Casting Buckshot....

41mag
02-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Ok I know that the shot needs to have some hardness to it so I won't be pouring it out of straight pure lead. But for those who have poured their own about how hard does it really need to be?

Should I quench it in water when I drop it or simply use some alloy with a bit of antimony in it, like using magnum shot or similar type alloy? I also have plenty of Iso Core alloy as well as plenty of Antimony lead I got from one of the members here a while back. Not even going to mention the type metal as I doubt it needs to get that hard.

Just looking to pour up a decent batch for use on a few feral hogs should they give us the chance. The mold is a Lee 00 buck mold and I have found this size works REALLY well on them under a feeder at 20yds or so and while under our fruit trees at about the same distance. I just got a smoking deal on a brand new MEC loader and everything to go along with it including shot, wads and hulls, for the grandkids to start loading field loads on. I already had somewhere near 60-80# worth sitting so won't miss a few if needed to make up a batch of the buck with.

jsizemore
02-14-2016, 10:32 AM
For thin skin critters I cast 50/50 + 2% tin/pewter. For hog or bear it's COWW + 2% tin/pewter.