PDA

View Full Version : We're OK

JeffinNZ
02-14-2016, 04:35 AM
One week until the 5th anniversary of the BIG earth quake in Christchurch and dang it if we didn't get a 5.7 today. All the after shocks will start again now. Most unsettling on the nerves I have to say.

Spare a thought for the poor buggers doing rope course in the trees in one of the videos here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/76873803/chance-of-another-strong-quake-increases

fryboy
02-14-2016, 07:15 AM
I was wondering about you,glad to hear...ermm read your typing ;)

w5pv
02-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Glad you are ok

castalott
02-14-2016, 08:10 AM
I am also glad you are ok. Dale

perotter
02-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Glad to here you're ok. When read about this new quake I thought of you.

I have a cousin who winters near there and do there big purchase shopping there . I'll have to wait and to hear if he and his wife are ok. No news will be good news.

Hickory
02-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Last year my son and his wife were in New Zealand on a driving tour on both islands for two weeks.
He said there was still a lot of devastation still from the quake that has not been cleaned up yet.
He also said that given the choice of living in Hawaii or New Zealand, it would be New Zealand.

square butte
02-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Glad You and Yours are OK - Hang in there for a steadier walking surface

762 shooter
02-14-2016, 09:35 AM
I have a niece in Christchurch. She got there 1 week before the big one. We were questioning her sanity for staying. She met some wonderful people during that time and later met her guy.

Glad only rocks at the beach were hurt.

DLCTEX
02-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Glad you are OK. We had a 5.1 just over the Oklahoma line from us yesterday..

wadcutter
02-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Kind thoughts sent. I was there about 25 years ago and it's still one of the nicest places I've ever been.

Artful
02-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Earthquakes - must be climate change

JeffinNZ
02-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Earthquakes - must be climate change

Nah. Fracking. Fracking upsetting I can tell thee.

koehn,jim
02-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Good to hear you guys are ok.

DCM
02-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Glad you are well!

MtGun44
02-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Glad to hear you are all safe.

Well, those videos are impressive. Hope nobody was on the beach below
those cliffs at the time. This seems like a heck of a lot of motion for "only"
a 5.7 quake. Never been through one, so have no personal idea, but I had
gotten the impression that a 5.7 was no particular big deal, but the car's
motion seems to say otherwise.

I understand from a real estate show here about people moving from the US
to other parts of the world, that many or maybe all the homes in NZ are being modified
for earthquake reinforcement. Is this for all homes or just some geographical
areas or types of construction? It seemed from the show to not be optional
or under control of the home owners.

Bill

bruce drake
02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Glad to read that everyone is ok. New Zealand is too pretty to be knocked down for long at any time.

DLCTEX
02-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Fracking is suspected, but the quakes are happening in locations where there has been none, and are not occurring in places where fracking has been done. They are lumping waste water injection with fracking, and injection has been taking place for decades. Consider this, everywhere the quakes occur, there are wind generators. My sister lives 1/2 mile from a generator and the vibrations make her house tremble. Is there a connection? It is not settled science, just guesses.

Schrag4
02-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Here in Wichita, we sure felt that one at 11:07 AM on Saturday. My wife and I were sitting on the couches upstairs and all of a sudden they just started rocking like there was a big uneven load in the washing machine. I remember the one back on Jan 7 - I felt that one sitting in the basement, but this was much bigger. It wasn't scary, just very obviously an earthquake.

My thoughts about earthquakes is this: If we can cause earthquakes to occur, we absolutely should do so, as often as possible. Every earthquake is a release of pressure. If we hold them off for as long as possible, then when they finally go, they'll be bigger and do more damage. It's kind of like intentionally setting off smaller avalanches to prevent huge avalanches.

popper
02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Reduced hurricanes, tornadoes and increased quakes. Humm - global warming (El Nino caused by cyclic offshore magma heating)? Not fracking or pressure injection. Just natural earth geophysics. Old cowboy stadium has had 50 or so last year - found a minor fault line in the area - right over an old riverbed. Gee Whizz. Wonder when Yellowstone is going to blow - biggest old cauldera on earth?