PDA

View Full Version : Powders for 45 acp and 40 s&w

Strtspdlx
02-13-2016, 08:59 PM
I've searched a bit and found them seperately. My question is which powder is a good choice to use in both. I hate buying seperate things such as two different primers already so if I can buy one powder id prefer that over Moa accuracy or cleanest burning. So far the only powders I've looked for are bullseye and w231. Which are out of stock on the one site I can get the best deal on everything. They do have cfe pistol. Reminder these will mainly be plinking loads to learn how to correctly shoot a pistol. They're not intended for competition or accuracy or to match velocities or any other load data aside from grains. If anyone could give me other options or if cfe pistol is fine is like to order everything this weekend. I appreciate your time and efforts. Also 45 is mainly 230gr tc boolits and 230gr rn Fmj but more so cast. 40s&w is mainly 165gr? (I'll have to double check that) tc Fmj and 170gr swc boolits
edit: I found my load data books. I picked titegroup as its the cheapest powder to buy in quantity to load for both rounds. I also searched now that I fixed my laptop and I found an array of useful threads. if anyone has any input you're more then welcome to comment. Thanks

Hounddog
02-14-2016, 03:29 AM
Can't go wrong with Unique, WSF, or Universal. They are all about the same burn rate and the load data is almost interchangeable. They tend to fill the case pretty well so less chance of a double charge. WSF tends to meter better than Unique but I've never had a problem with it. I tend to get better groups with unique but your mileage may vary. These days with some powders being scarce you gotta make due with what you can get.

hounddog

takasaki
02-14-2016, 04:32 AM
Red Dot and WST are my favorites for both 45 and 40.

gwpercle
02-14-2016, 12:11 PM
A quick look in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4 th Edition shows the following powders suitable for both, I'm sure there are others.

Clays
Bullseye
Red Dot
WST
Unique
Power Pistol

I know books are old school but a few reloading manuals are quite helpful.
Gary

jcren
02-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Cfe works well in both, but low charge weights has the same dou le charge concern as bullseye and the like. I like hs-6 for both as well and volume prohibits doubles.

mongoose33
02-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Red Dot and WST are my favorites for both 45 and 40.

I'm using 5.0 grains of WST behind 200gr boolits in .45, and 5.5 grains of WST behind 180-grain Rainier bullets in .40.

I also use WST in my 9mm. For me, it's the all-purpose powder. :)

Shiloh
02-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Bullseye for the .45ACP, Unique for the .40. AA#5 for the forty as well.

Shiloh

scattershot
02-14-2016, 08:10 PM
I like Red Dot in both the calibers you mentioned.

varminter66
02-14-2016, 09:18 PM
I have actually had some great results today with Blue Dot in the 40, but I doubt that powder is usable in the 45.

wv109323
02-14-2016, 09:37 PM
The new BE-86 may be a consideration. It is new enough that a lot of people are not using it and it is on the shelves.

S.B.
02-15-2016, 03:19 PM
I don't load .40s but, in .45ACPs I use Winchester 231 near max under H&G 68s.
Steve

Ed_Shot
02-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Red Dot/Promo and WSF get my vote.

jsizemore
02-15-2016, 03:41 PM
If your considering Red Dot then you can use Promo. You'd be hard pressed to find a more economical powder.

dougader
02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Blue Dot works fine in 45 auto, especially for upper end loads.

For target loads, AA2, red dot, 231/hp38, WST, bullseye, vv320.

Crossover loads, universal, green dot, etc

High power loads, Power Pistol, Longshot, VV340/350, Blue Dot...

Shiloh
02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
I have actually had some great results today with Blue Dot in the 40, but I doubt that powder is usable in the 45.

It works because of the higher pressure. A friend uses it for the 10mm.

Shiloh

Hickok
02-15-2016, 07:04 PM
I use Unique in my 45 ACP, 40 S&W, and 9mm pistols. Gives top velocity and is accurate in all three for me.

Mk42gunner
02-15-2016, 10:37 PM
I'd say anything from Bullseye to Blue dot could be made to work. Not too sure about the same powder working equally well in both cartridges, though.

Robert

Dreadpiratebob
02-15-2016, 10:54 PM
I found Accurate #2 fit my situation, using 230grn Lee TC mould in .45 and Lee 175grn TC in .40 I could use 5.0 grns in my guns for both loads. I would of course advise caution as it would be fairly easy to double charge A#2. For a plinking round, it was hard to beat, 1200 ish rounds per pound of powder, makes a lot of plinkers.

David2011
02-16-2016, 12:04 AM
WST and Titegroup have worked well for me in both calibers.

David

noisewaterphd
02-16-2016, 12:09 AM
If you are a "one powder" kind of guy, then I would say Unique. Unique works really well across the most calibers. It is not my favorite for any of them though.

Kevin Rohrer
02-16-2016, 09:33 PM
This question has been asked many, many times here.

I prefer Unique for .45 and Longshot for .40.

Using bulky powders prevent double-charges that will ruin your day.

leeggen
02-16-2016, 09:47 PM
I like the power Pistol for my 40 with 175 gr cast. Bullseye works great in the 45ACP with the 230g cast. Blue dot also worked in the 40 but never tried it in a 45ACP.
CD

Strtspdlx
02-16-2016, 10:59 PM
and the search continues. I haven't found any powder online from the small vendors I remember. I mostly want to buy in 8 lb quantities. hopefully I can find my website sheet with all my loading supply sites. so far I have to try to find red dot bullseye or unique.

randyrat
02-17-2016, 09:00 AM
If all else fails for economy in the fast powder column, try a slower powder like IMR 4756 for both Cal You will find a very accurate load in both cals with this powder. Not real economical but very accurate and bulky enough to lessen the chance of a double charge..With 4756 you will get your Velocity and keep your pressure down at the same time..You may have to do some searching for these loads. Now you have your home work

philzilla
02-25-2016, 04:09 AM
Like a lot has said unique is a good one

fredj338
02-25-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm using 5.0 grains of WST behind 200gr boolits in .45, and 5.5 grains of WST behind 180-grain Rainier bullets in .40.

I also use WST in my 9mm. For me, it's the all-purpose powder. :)

Just about any powder can be made to shoot in any caliber. So for me, they are all, all purpose. I do prefer WST in 45 & it works well for minor loads in 9 & 40. WST is NOT a good choice for full power 9 or 40, so If I had to settle on one powder to do it all, it would be a medium burner, starting with Unique & going slower to about PowerPistol. Anything in that range will work for full power 9, 40 or 45 & decent target loads in all three. If you want minor loads though, you need a faster powder as the medium burners need to be above midrange to burn efficiently.

Petro58
02-25-2016, 08:06 PM
I'm another for Unique, one of the most versatile powders out there.

Strtspdlx
03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Well I ordered powder. I had some titegroup and cfe pistol saved on a site. Since then (about a month) they have both gone on back order and primers did also. So me being me I settled with accurate no7 as I have reloading data for lead with this powder in my load data sheets that came with my dies. So hopefully next weekend I can I've everyone a view of a nice functional boolit. I heard no7 is dirty and this and that but it's what I could find in a pinch so hopefully it'll work well enough.

Bayou52
03-07-2016, 09:26 AM
As 231 is extremely hard to find, for 45 acp, 230 grain ball, I've been using Hi-Skor 700-X. It burns fast and clean, but doesn't measure consistently through my Uniflow.

Bayou52

Strtspdlx
03-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Nevermind I won't be loading any for 6-8 weeks. Powder showed in stock never mentioned in text anything about it taking 6-8 weeks to ship out powder. Just checked shipping and the primers shipped but not the powder. Now there's a notice on it saying because of increased demand it may take 6-8 weeks to ship. I'll never order from them again. After I've already ordered 1500$ worth of stuff. What a disappointment.

Wis. Tom
03-07-2016, 10:41 AM
What part of the country are you in?

John Boy
03-07-2016, 11:11 AM
My question is which powder is a good choice to use in both
Here ... do a match:
http://reloadammo.com/40loads.htm
http://reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

Strtspdlx
03-07-2016, 11:46 AM
I live in New Jersey. I've bought powder and primers and they where at my door in 4 days. In one box with one hazmat fee. This is shipping all seperate with seperate hazmat fees. It's almost $75 in shipping.

W.R.Buchanan
03-07-2016, 01:38 PM
I believe I'd cancel that order and get my money back before they screw you for multiple Hazmat Fees, and Shipping Costs. BS like that is usually done by large outfits or small outfits ran by A&&holes. They are just following orders that came down from the top, and are not looking at individual orders and are not looking out for your best interest. They are too busy just shipping stuff. Smaller outfits usually offer better personalized service unless the owner has "Issues!"

First never place an order like this solely over the internet. Always talk to somebody and demand only one shipment. If they don't have everything in stock ready to ship, insist on a firm delivery date. if they can't make that date, then go elsewhere.

There are literally hundreds of places to buy just about everything there is now. I'm sure you can find just about any powder there is at other places that will treat you right..

An example; a local gun shop recently changed hands. The old owner didn't have very much powder in stock and if he did he only had one bottle of this or that,,,, The new owners all of a sudden have every powder known to man in stock in both 1 and 8 lb. jugs! They also have lots more guns in stock, and don't charge ridiculous fees for buying or transferring guns.

Looks like the new guys are more interested in doing business than the old guy was. I liked him but hardly ever bought anything from him as he never had anything I needed.

Look for good places to do business. There are people out there who actually want your business and are willing to treat you right. Lots of them advertise here, and believe me if they weren't good vendors they wouldn't last long around here.

Randy

Strtspdlx
03-07-2016, 02:45 PM
It showed everything was in stock and originally it did list a seperate fee for powder. But they already shipped the primers. I ordered from a different company for my 223 reloads but they didn't have the primers I wanted in stock so I went to a different company that I normally don't buy powder from. Now I have to call them and I'm sure they won't take the primers back. I wish I could buy it locally but none of the lgs around me carry any of this stuff.

Mitch
03-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I Have been using WST in both and like it.It shoots better than I do and burns pretty clean.I don't have a good supplie of Uneque or Bullseye This is why I went with the WST.I have had good luck with 231 to.

John Boy
03-07-2016, 06:09 PM
I live in New Jersey. I've bought powder and primers and they where at my door in 4 days. In one box with one hazmat fee. This is shipping all seperate with seperate hazmat fees. It's almost $75 in shipping.You would be better off to patronize Gene Salomon in Farmingdale, NJ.
http://www.yellowpages.com/farmingdale-nj/mip/salomon-shooters-supplies-26863126
If Gene doesn't have it - Nobody in NJ has reloading supplies like Gene carries in stock

Strtspdlx
03-08-2016, 12:21 AM
You would be better off to patronize Gene Salomon in Farmingdale, NJ.
http://www.yellowpages.com/farmingdale-nj/mip/salomon-shooters-supplies-26863126
If Gene doesn't have it - Nobody in NJ has reloading supplies like Gene carries in stock
i very much appreciate that information. I will be giving him a call tomorrow!!

rwadley
03-08-2016, 08:12 PM
If all else fails for economy in the fast powder column, try a slower powder like IMR 4756 for both Cal You will find a very accurate load in both cals with this powder. Not real economical but very accurate and bulky enough to lessen the chance of a double charge..With 4756 you will get your Velocity and keep your pressure down at the same time..You may have to do some searching for these loads. Now you have your home work

They discontinued SR4756 last year, but Ramshot' s True Blue is about the same burn rate. Kevin Newberry makes a good case for it as a good all-around pistol powder. I think the largest size that it comes in is 4 lb (not sure). http://blog.westernpowders.com/2014/12/one-powder-for-all-handgun-loads/