PDA

View Full Version : M1894 Win Sight question

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-13-2016, 12:56 AM
I recently stole (I mean, bought real cheap:mrgreen:) an 1894 in 30WCF
birthday 1900, Its missing the front sight.
Its the 2 piece with the pinned blade and the front of the base
slips under the magazine tube band, and was silver soldered
on too. No dovetail
Any ideas where I might find one of these sights?
I'm not having much luck.
Also, the rear sight is a dovetail mounted V notched affair
and the rear blade folds up or down, for 2 different heights.
I've seen references to some Winchester 3 leaf rears, but not 2 leafs?
Clues appreciated.

Ithaca Gunner
02-13-2016, 01:22 AM
On my 1898 vintage Winchester M1894 SRC, 30WCF the rear sight is a three leaf express type with a platinum line on each leaf and marked for 50-100-200 yds. The front sight is silver soldered lug with a single pin retaining the blade. The blade is about .075" wide, .300" high, appears to be silver, and neatly fills the lug front to back which is mounted behind the front band.

Aside from the normal sources like Brownell's, Gun Parts Inc, I don't know where to find a front sight other than make one yourself and file to proper elevation. The rear sights are kinda delicate, could the 200yd leaf be broken off?

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-13-2016, 12:12 PM
On my 1898 vintage Winchester M1894 SRC, 30WCF the rear sight is a three leaf express type with a platinum line on each leaf and marked for 50-100-200 yds. The front sight is silver soldered lug with a single pin retaining the blade. The blade is about .075" wide, .300" high, appears to be silver, and neatly fills the lug front to back which is mounted behind the front band.

Aside from the normal sources like Brownell's, Gun Parts Inc, I don't know where to find a front sight other than make one yourself and file to proper elevation. The rear sights are kinda delicate, could the 200yd leaf be broken off?

Sounds like what I haven't got. The base is gone to, someone mig welded a post behind the notch at some point.
looks horrible should be easy to remove. I will have to get out the magnifier and see, Dunno why I didnt thing that maybe a leaf was gone -DOH!
Thanks

I found blades for the front sight, but not the base

Ithaca Gunner
02-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Okay, you're missing the entire front sight then. The base is .279" wide by .398" long and about .200" high split for the sight blade. I may be mistaken about it being silver soldered on though.