PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an old Savage 110. Calling all Savage smiths/buiders

Outer Rondacker
02-12-2016, 06:18 PM
I have an older savage model 110 in a short action chambered in 308. This has the box style mag you load from the top no drop out. Now I have had this gun for some time. One day I took it out and headed to the shooting bench. I loaded it with three rounds and started to close the bolt but the bullet did not chamber. Every time I get the bolt one half to a full inch it just spits the bullet out sideways or on the ground. If I attempt to close the bolt faster I just end up cutting the brass in half. At first I thought it might be the rounds so I set it aside and once home grabbed some factory 308 and put one in. The same thing kept happening. So I sent it to a gun smith. It came back and they said it worked for them. When I asked what they did this is what was said. Well it went bang so it works. Enjoy. Well fact is it will chamber one or two from every ten tries. I pull the stock off and found the metal box that the follower goes in can move a bit. I have no clue what I am doing but then again nor do the shops that want to charge me for nothing. Please help. I know we have some Savage builders out there I am hoping can work this out with me.

Before anyone says it no I will not just sell it and let the next guy figure it out. I do not work like that nor do I want to sell the gun. Thanks in advance as always.

noisewaterphd
02-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Well, I might be misunderstanding your problem, perhaps you can break it down a little more clearly?

To me it sounds like maybe your bolt is not holding the ejector pin when cocked. If this is the case you should be able to service the bolt yourself (I don't remember exactly how the savage ejector works off the top of my head).

Outer Rondacker
02-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Sorry my brain knows what it wants to say out loud but I am not good at putting it to paper.

What I am saying is I put bullets in the box mag.(fixed with no drop plate) As I slide the bolt forward to chamber a round the bullet pops out of the mag lips. If it lands just rite its like you would be hand loading a single round. But most of the time it kicks the back side of the bullet case (loaded ammo) to the right and off the gun. I do not think it has anything to do with the bolt as if I remove the bolt and put rounds in it and using a pen push the round forward it flies up in the air.

If I can get a hold of one of the kids I will have them make a video.

I hope this paints a better picture. Thanks for working with me here.

noisewaterphd
02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
OK, ya I was misunderstanding you.

You need to adjust the feed lips on that blind mag. You can probably do it yourself with a pair of pliers and some patience :)

There is a balance between follower spring strength, and feed lip retention that you have to find. It sounds to me like your feed lips have probably opened up over time. Weaken the follower spring (last resort IMO), or adjust the feed lips.

Wolfer
02-12-2016, 07:38 PM
I agree that the feed lips need to be adjusted. For me this was always a trial and error process. Working the bolt real slow you should be able to see where the lip is turning loose too quick. You can bend it in slightly with a pair of pliers. This may require taking off the stock, then the mag box, adjust a little, put back together, try and repeat as needed.
Remember, patience is a virtue.

The loose play in a blind mag is normal

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Everytime I try to modify/bend feed lips on a magazine, I end up with scrap metal...Maybe I just don't have the talent or the patience? I'd look for a replacement.

It appears Brownells list's that part on their website, but it's out of stock.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/magazine-parts/magazine-boxes/magazine-box-assembly-short-action-prod12838.aspx

Outer Rondacker
02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I think we are on the correct track here guys. Let me get some food in me and I will fiddle with it a bit more and give you guys an update. Thanks

jonas302
02-12-2016, 08:13 PM
I was thinking the same as Jon at least if you mess it up they are cheap enough to replace just have to backorder one

BrassMagnet
02-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Buy a new magazine.
Don't waste your time with a used one.
Try all of the online sources.
Contact Savage and see which magazines will fit.
Mine are all long action.

Outer Rondacker
02-12-2016, 09:11 PM
I lied it a long action. Off to search for a box mag to fit.

Well I did not turn up anything searching. I did however get lucky I think as in I pulled the box out and found it was not in the center of the action. Put it back in and lined things up. Loaded three in and they all cycled fine. Did this three times. I will keep the hunt for a new box mag going but in the mean time I think I got it fixed with the help of you guys. Thanks all.

noisewaterphd
02-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I lied it a long action. Off to search for a box mag to fit.

Well I did not turn up anything searching. I did however get lucky I think as in I pulled the box out and found it was not in the center of the action. Put it back in and lined things up. Loaded three in and they all cycled fine. Did this three times. I will keep the hunt for a new box mag going but in the mean time I think I got it fixed with the help of you guys. Thanks all.

Savage can sell you a replacement blind mag, probably cheaper than anyone else too, just call them with your serial number.

BrassMagnet
02-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Midway has them for the long action.
The long action fits 30-06 and 270.

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2016, 12:39 AM
While sitting there be sure you have the correct follower in a magazine made for 30-06s.Just thinking of an easy fix.

Call either Savage or Brownells and they will probably solve your problem for less than $10.00

Or you can buy a ream of paper,a couple sets of ink for your printer AND a very large binder then go to http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php join up (I have no idea what their fee is today) then start copying every stickie you think you MIGHT be interested in some day.

Yes they even had instructions on building your own BBL and ACTION wrenches and yes I did build my own.

Also keep in mind that your bolt should be stripped and cleaned from time to time as there are SMALL bearings and springs in there that just a little dust or dirt can lock in place

Yup I B a Savage nut with 5 actions (all with bbls installed) + about 9 extra bbls down to a 20 VarTarg.

Also one of their muzzle loaders that with a little research and work I have put 5 HP 235 gr PB rounds in a 2" target at 100 yards every time I did what I should.

Frank46
02-13-2016, 01:33 AM
Don't forget that savage built a bunch of short calibers on the long action. My savage 110FP in 308 is one of these. If you have the rynite stock when you tighten the front guard screw it works into the stock material. Epoxy'd a steel washer to stop this. Then the action was moving in the stock. under the front ring there is 4 boxes or chambers that I packed acra glass bedding compound as well as glassing the front lug on the action. This stopped that problem. I suggest you get another mag box rather that trying to tweak the mag lips. Order from savage. Frank

leadman
02-13-2016, 03:04 AM
Be aware that the 110 was released in 1958 and if you have one of the old gun from the original company that the parts may not be the same as what the new Savage company is making. I have a 1966 Savage 110 DL with a detachable magazine that is different then the new detachable mags. A call to Savage with the serial number will let you know if your gun is an old version versus the new.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2016, 07:13 AM
I did call savage a few season back when I found this issue with the gun. I told them my SN and they said something about a fire and not having the old records of that gun.

Its a 308
Five inches from center to center on the two lug holes.
SN F209xxx

Best I can find is it is around 1989

Just used the savage parts finder SN and got this message.

Our apologies...
Serial number entered cannot be found in the system.

Please note: We do not service models manufactured prior to serial number F498821.

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2016, 04:03 PM
IIRC that was the time when ownership changed last.

Savage changed ownership again last year so the new owner might refuse repair/replacement of rifles before he took ownership but he was the person that said a new Savage would shoot 1" groups OUT OF THE BOX NEW.

I do know there was someone at Savage Shooters that gave me the month and year my model 99 in takedown 22 high power was made in 1903.

In the years that I was a member there I never heard a single person mention they ever had a fire at their location but I left before the last owner decided to retire and sold the business.

There was also a member there that posted documented laser measured kills with photos at almost 1,000 yards (991 yards IIRC) and since I shot with him and corresponded with him for several years I can assure you that is exactly what he did with his Savage rifle.

DLCTEX
02-13-2016, 09:25 PM
My Savage short action has a recess in the bottom of the receiver that the box fits into. The box has to be in the recess, held there by a friction fit aided by the spring action of the box wanting to open slightly in the front. The action then goes into the stock with the box in place in the receiver. It will not feed correctly if the box is out of place.

koger
02-14-2016, 10:52 PM
You found the problem, fixed 3 over the years that way when I ran a shop full time. I love my savages, have 9!

leadman
02-15-2016, 02:13 AM
My son has an almost new Axis in 270 Win. Not much to look at but once I figured out how to place it in the rest it was no problem to get groups as small as 1/2" to 1" at 100 yards with Remington core-lokt ammo.
Even my 1966 model 110 will still cut 1" groups at times.

wch
02-15-2016, 07:00 AM
I have an older savage model 110 in a short action chambered in 308. This has the box style mag you load from the top no drop out. Now I have had this gun for some time. One day I took it out and headed to the shooting bench. I loaded it with three rounds and started to close the bolt but the bullet did not chamber. Every time I get the bolt one half to a full inch it just spits the bullet out sideways or on the ground. If I attempt to close the bolt faster I just end up cutting the brass in half. At first I thought it might be the rounds so I set it aside and once home grabbed some factory 308 and put one in. The same thing kept happening. So I sent it to a gun smith. It came back and they said it worked for them. When I asked what they did this is what was said. Well it went bang so it works. Enjoy. Well fact is it will chamber one or two from every ten tries. I pull the stock off and found the metal box that the follower goes in can move a bit. I have no clue what I am doing but then again nor do the shops that want to charge me for nothing. Please help. I know we have some Savage builders out there I am hoping can work this out with me.

Before anyone says it no I will not just sell it and let the next guy figure it out. I do not work like that nor do I want to sell the gun. Thanks in advance as always.

Ask your question at www.savageshooters.com (http://www.savageshooters.com) they'll know the answer.

MtGun44
02-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Is magazine moved out of position relative to the action? Improperly reassembled?

Bill

Outer Rondacker
02-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Bill the mag box can move with the touch of a finger. I have been playing around with it in different places to see what works the best. Might just have to give it a small bit of old tac in place once I find her sweat spot.