PDA

View Full Version : Handloader magazine

michael.birdsley
02-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Just picked up this issue at the local Meijers ( like a Walmart but, union) seems like a interesting magazine. What is communities opinion of it? Worth the 23 dollars a year for a newbie?

StrawHat
02-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Years ago it WAS a great magazine. Many top writers and frequently had articles by folks like us. then it seemed like it started catering to the big companies and forgetting us wee folk.

If you can find the back issues, I enjoy those. I haven't read a new issue in a while, perhaps they have changed again, for the better.

If you did not know, it is available on line,

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/index.cfm?magid=711

Kevin

lotech
02-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Maybe not what it used to be, but HANDLOADER remains the best available.

dale2242
02-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Still worth the money.
Subscribe......dale

dudel
02-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Best of the lot out there. I've had a subscription for many years. Plan to continue it. They also have some very good books in their bookstore. Propellant Profiles is a useful resource.

Hickok
02-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I get Handloader and Rifle.

high standard 40
02-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Handloader is the only magazine subscription that I have. I gave up on all the others long ago.

Thumbcocker
02-12-2016, 09:52 AM
If you can afford the back issues on cd it is pure gold. I subscribe and it is teh only shooting mag i get. Brian Pearce's articles are worth the cost to me.

44man
02-12-2016, 10:12 AM
I started getting the rag when it first came out and had stacks of them. I had so many I cut out what I wanted and gave the rest away. There were good writers and tests but we lost them all.
Now they write about what advertisers pay for. They write about a gun, etc and the next page is a full page ad.
Rifleman is the same. A scope test is for a $5000 scope, who among us buys them?
One session on the porcelain will finish every gun rag today.
Remember Ken Waters? I bought all of his books. He did the work.
All rags are the same now, Carol got a free issue of Rachel Rays rag and there is one recipe in it, the rest, 99.9% are ads.
They make so much money from ads, the rags should be free.
I dropped all long ago, I know more then the writers and most of you here do too.
Save your money for powder, if it can't be found here, it does not exist.
Could you imagine a Cast Boolit magazine?

OS OK
02-12-2016, 10:41 AM
I got weary of the same old stuff being recycled every 3 or 4 months, the advertising…I think started to drive the articles about reloads.
For the newbie reloader…someone who has less than 5 years…an excellent rag.

44man
02-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Handloader got away from loading and most shooting was with factory loads from guns many of us would need to sell the house for.
Hunting rags keep the same junk with you need to fish this ripple or put your stand here. Dry, useless stuff but Field and Stream will have some great recipes each month. I got it dirt cheap but Outdoor Life that I also got dirt cheap is useless.
We have no new Elmer or Jack O'Connor. We sure have no Ken Waters.

dudel
02-12-2016, 11:50 AM
We have no new Elmer or Jack O'Connor. We sure have no Ken Waters.

Funny you should mention that. This month's American Handgunner has a story by Mike Venturino about the same thing. He mentions Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Rick Jamison and Jan Libourel.

Handloader is the only gun related subscription I keep. I'll get an issue of the others ONLY if I find an interesting article while browsing on the rack.

dragon813gt
02-12-2016, 11:54 AM
I will buy it when they have a specific article I'm interested in. Other than that it's worthless to me. Last one I bought I read entirely on a short one hour flight. There is little substance in them.

Brasso
02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I agree with 44man.

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2016, 12:10 PM
I stopped getting all the other comic book gun mag rags years ago. I still get 3 magazines though. I am a life member in the NRA so I get Rifleman. I subscribe to both Handloader and Rifle simply because I enjoy their articles, even if I agree with the writer or not - I may be an old dog but I can still learn a few new tricks.Robert

jlchucker
02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
I just log onto our castboolits website. Much better for what I'm doing than any magazine that I used to subscribe to.

Piedmont
02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
I've been a Handloader subscriber for the past 35 years but it seems with each issue I now wonder why I bother. There may be change in the magazine as Scovill has mentioned several times he is retiring this year. That could be a good thing, or not.

gpidaho
02-12-2016, 12:29 PM
I think it would be a GREAT thing if Dave Scovill retired. JMO Gp

Walla2
02-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I still find value in the magazine after 40? years. Not too much new in it now, but that is I like to think because I have learned so much and am confident in experimenting myself. I do miss Ken Waters though. Quite a bit.

44man
02-12-2016, 12:53 PM
I have a problem with writers today in how they get so many guns, many super expensive collector items. Those $20,000 or more things. Then shelf's full of dies. That money is not from an article in a rag. Pay is sad so it must be from companies. Gun writers get stuff free to test. Some keep the stuff when they need to return it or pay for it at cost.
All of you have seen a row of guns worth millions in rags from a writer.
What does Mike own? he was here long ago when I asked him. He said "horse trading" but he left right quick. Yes it was ME that he left.
I don't read anything Taffin says either.

Tatume
02-12-2016, 01:23 PM
They don't say the stuff is loaned, and the don't say the stuff is given to them. They say it is "forwarded." Sounds like weasel words to me.

mdi
02-12-2016, 01:36 PM
I guess if one couldn't read articles in Handloader for just what they are, some feller's opinion, then they should not purchase it. I don't subscribe, but I buy it off the news stand. I can read an article and decide how it fits in my reloading interests, and I do see things that "jes ain't right" for me. As for "celebrities" around today, I couldn't care less. Yep, those fellers mentioned did a lot for the shooting community and there are some around that still do. I'm not into WWII arms nor black powder cartridge reloading I don't read a lot of Mr. Venterino's work (but he did write a great article about "The Shooting Community" a few years ago). I like the articles on calibers I reload, and the gun reports, but as a handloader's bible, I don't think any monthly magazine meets that standard...

EMC45
02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
This issue is the first I haven't bought in about 11 years. I never got to the store and last I looked it was not on the shelf. Oh well, I have found lately that the majority of the things in the mag are either repeats or beating the drum for a new fangled gadget or cartridge. I can learn more here and by re-reading all my loading manuals.

Bull Shoals
02-12-2016, 02:06 PM
44man,
There is a cast bullet magazine...The Fouling Shot. A little thin but only cast bullets.

Sghinds
02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
I have the digital version of all 3, Its cheaper this way, and I read them at work or on my tablet. I can then print out what I want to have hard copies of. I am still no veteran when it comes to loading or casting, so I like reading all the articles.

lotech
02-12-2016, 03:49 PM
This topic surfaces regularly and I must agree with many of the comments. I've been reading the gun rags since 1962. No doubt, there is a lack of fresh, quality material in the magazines. Cast bullet enthusiasts make up an incredibly small number of those who actually read the magazines. Editors publish what a broad spectrum of the audience will read and they are interested in what people want to read.

It would take little time to contact an editor and make him aware of the same complaints and frustrations posted here and it would be time spent in a far more productive manner. If an editor received just a portion of the thread replies posted on this forum in the last couple of years regarding this subject, changes would be made.

dannyd
02-12-2016, 04:33 PM
I have all 300 copiers on disk and read them over and over again. The older ones are better, but things do change. I have only owned two semi auto guns and sold both of them within the first year of having them. But I still read about those kinds of guns and all things new in the world of guns. Hand-loading is my only hobby do it everyday in some way. Handloader has as always been there for me.

skeettx
02-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I have every issue of Handloader and Rifle (yes from #1 on) :)
Fun reading in the throne room.
Mike

Powersgt
02-12-2016, 04:44 PM
I have the online subscription, cost $19 a year and I get Successful hunter, hand loader and rifle for that price. You can save the PDFs to whatever format you like, open it up on a tablet to if you care print it. Also allows you other articles for members.

I find it enjoyable to read (I'm still under 50 ;)).

Green Frog
02-12-2016, 07:37 PM
OP, you mention being a "newbie." For you there should be a great deal in Handloader, but don't take it without a liberal dose of salt. The magazine is now written for mass market, unlike its origins which were dedicated to the hard core of the reloading group. Those early editions were quite technical when compared to the ones we see now, but as a new reloader, the current stuff should have enough to be of benefit to you, but as you gain more experience, you will probably find yourself outgrowing it. Yes, I read it in the beginning and subscribed for many years, but now I pick up individual issues on the newsstand if they contain an article or two I want to read.

Froggie

Lagamor
02-12-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm new to the hobby. Only been reloading for a little over a year. Casting is measured in months(two).
I find that I learn a great deal, but I can see the point the guys with experience have. Lots of marketing in the articles.

Tom W.
02-12-2016, 08:35 PM
I enjoy it. I don't look for the negatives in the magazine, and find some of the articles helpful. I even enjoy some of the ads. It is a tad on the pricey side........

Victor N TN
02-12-2016, 08:39 PM

I agree...!

W.R.Buchanan
02-12-2016, 10:57 PM
OK here's my .02 of this subject and some others as well.

First; my very first issue of Handloader was Aug 2005 I bought it because it had the definitive work on loading the .45-70 cartridge by Brian Pearce. I have read that article no less than 100 times!There have been several other individual issues which also contained definitive articles about subjects that interest me. Mostly by Brian Pearce. His articles on loading .44 Spec/Mag ,45's and various Handgun and Rifle cartridges are the basis for much of the data published in Hornady's Loading Manuals. Him and his boys shoot more in one month than most of us shoot in our entire lifetimes! I know this because I have talked to him face to face several times and those conversations usually last for an hour or so. He's also into Diesel trucks as am I. Didn't see him this year? don't think he made it to SHOT.

I have pressed Brian to push Wolfe Publishing do a compilation of all his most memorable articles like they have done with Venturino's articles. They supposedly have no interest in doing this. I don't understand why as they would be best sellers.

My main reason for having a Handloader /Rifle subscription is to read his articles, although I usually try to read every article simply because there is something to be learned from reading all of it.

They do seem to recycle subject matter, but tend to use different authors each time.

I still feel the magazines are useful even if they don't have stuff I'm directly interested in every month, and I still learn new stuff with every read.

Randy

David2011
02-12-2016, 11:15 PM

Yep. The detractors aren't wrong. I've read enough years of Handloader to see the changes but it's partly information and partly entertainment to me. It and Rifle are my only firearm subscriptions other than American Rifeman. Handloader is much thinner than even 2-3 years ago. I hope they continue to publish for the long term in spite of their current shortcomings.

David

kenyerian
02-13-2016, 12:03 AM
The internet is going to be the death of most magazines, newspapers and books. In the 60's I think between my dad and brothers we took most of the Magazines. It was truly the golden age of outdoor writers. As the years have went by one by one we stopped taking, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Shooting Times, Shotgun News, Guns& Ammo etc.
I'm down to just the American Rifleman Now. I still pickup a Handloader off the news stand from time to time if there is something in there that interests me. But the internet offers onformation much quicker that waiting for the Mail Delivery.

CLAYPOOL
02-13-2016, 12:23 AM
I think that is what happened to "Precision Shooting" also. No money in = doors closed... I have often thought I would try to write a article that would interest the general shooting crowd. It is a daunting task with a spelling Attention Defect (sp) Adult Version. (Older age). As for windy stories, I've got em but every one would think they are tales, not the truth...

Don Purcell
02-13-2016, 10:55 AM
The world is so lawyered up everything is Cover Your A## fear of printing something some dolt will think he can improve on who ends up scattering his gun all over the place and then wants a big paycheck from whoever to pay for his stupidity. The world has changed and everything is geared for the lowest common denominator - the moron.

dverna
02-13-2016, 11:19 AM
As a newbie in the 70's I had a subscription. Let it lapse over the years. Seemed I learned less and less every year until it was not worth the money. Tried it again three years ago - and did not renew.

Do not agree that the internet is always a good source of data. Too many hill-jacks post data that has not been vetted at all. BTW we have our share of these characters on this site too. If you are a newbie, use published data - and by that I mean printed on a page or manufactures website. There are a few posters here I trust - but a lot of the good ones have left or been banned.

chutesnreloads
02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Handloader is the only magazine subscription that I have. I gave up on all the others long ago.
Ditto....same here

alamogunr
02-13-2016, 11:55 AM
I only discovered Handloader about 15-20 years ago. Bought the early issues on Ebay, etc. so now I have the full collection. No, it is not as good now as it once was but I still enjoy Venturino and Brian Pearce and so continue to subscribe.

I have a similar opinion to several here about Scoville. The only good thing he has done that I am aware of is the design of the .45-270SAA mold. As to writing him about improving the content, I wrote once a long time ago concerning something I didn't understand and received a response that said, in essence, that I was too stupid to be reading his magazine and any qualified person would not have asked the question.

quilbilly
02-13-2016, 12:51 PM
I always look forward to getting it and Rifle Magazine even when some of the articles are not that interesting. I have always stored them in magazine folders and used them for reference on occasion.

michael.birdsley
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Currently I subscribe to 4 magazines field and stream, woods and water ( Michigan based sportsmen stuff) American riflemen with the NRA membership, and guns. Field and stream was good for when I had gotten out of college and was getting back into hunting and fishing. Even though, I enjoy Petzals ( the grumpy one). I will let that subscription expire. The magazine is geared to much toward the upper class weekend warrior type (not that there is any thing wrong with that).

I liked the local woods and water magazine to keep up on the local sporting world but, I have had the magazine for 5 years and I am seeing repeat articles depending on what season is open and the news in it is always a month late. I already let that one expire.

I get guns and like it so far but a lot of black rifles and other guns I could only dream about having.

The issue of hand loader I bought because it had plated pistol bullet info in it which was helpful. It seems like a good magazine I just wonder if I'll get tired of it 4 or 5 years. Can you trust reloading data out of a magazine like this one ?

JohnH
02-13-2016, 08:33 PM
The only thing really not discussed here is the fact that ballistics/reloading is a mature science. By that I mean two things. First, to make a substantial leap forward in ballistic capability, there would have to be a revolution in chemistry/metalurgy similar to that which occurred in the late 1880's with teh development of smokeless powder and metalurgical changes demanded by the increased pressures of the new stuff. Second, the development of both propellant and pressure testing equipment has taken much of the "art" and "guesswork" out of reloading. hat this means is this, if one has been an active reloader and gun enthueseist over the last 30-50 years, there just ain't that much that is new on the planet. 30 years ago I was reading everything I could get my hands on. Today as i read, I think to myself "I could have written that" but mostly it just sounds strangely familiar to me, as though I've read it before. I likely did, just not in those same words. Most of the articles are in fact written aimed at a newer audience. Think about it, the guys you are reading are like us old farts here who have been doing this forever and a day. We are all passing on info to a new school. I remember reading Mike Venturino early articles. He wrote an article on using cast bullets in the Mini 14. I enjoy his writing still but the reality is while I look to Mike for info on the old west guns, I don't think he will reveal anything about the 45 Colt cartridge that I probably don't already know, even though following his writing on the 45 Colt and 45 Schofield did make plain to me why the 45 ACP is the cartridge it is. (I'll leave that for you to study) So, if I were into this just 5 years or so, I'd think "Handloader/Rifle" was the best thing that ever happened to the written word. Today not so much. 6 pages on a 7 Magnum does nothing for me no matter who is writing it, I'm not interested in that much gun, never was and whatever interest there may have been wanes faster with age, I just don't need that much pounding for fun. So, I read through on the rack. If nothing grabs my attention, then I don't buy. If something does, it comes home with me. Most of the time it comes home for as much as anything I enjoy reading and every once in a while even an old dog learns new tricks. Where do you think Mike's discussion on the 45 Colt/Schofield showed up?

StrawHat
02-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Here is a Ken Waters article on the 38 Special, from a 1976 Handloader magazine. To some it is boring. To others, a wealth of information.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47DvNGUidTIalJMTTNQTUpUTEE/view?pref=2&pli=1

Kevin

lotech
02-13-2016, 09:37 PM
The extensive work Ken Waters did with .38 Special load data is among the most worthwhile reports ever written up in a gun publication. Still useful today. Ken was the best of the gunwriters in my opinion, closely followed by the late Bob Hagel, both long-time contributors to HANDLOADER, RIFLE, GUN DIGEST, and probably others.

I spoke briefly with an employee of Wolfe Publishing at their SHOT Show booth last month. They are still in contact with Ken on occasion. She thought he was ninety-eight.

TXGunNut
02-14-2016, 02:51 AM
Yes, many of us could write "better" articles than what some folks pay good money to read (after wading thru the ads). Be honest with yourself, how many people would be interested in what we could write? Yes, I buy Rifle and Handloader on occasion but wouldn't think of subscribing. I suspect today's rags serve today's target audience quite well....but we're not their target audience. Face it, it's not about us. It's about getting new folks into this game; spending money on tools, components, guns and accessories. I think maybe they're doing a fine job, even if we aren't much interested in their articles.
I'll admit I once subscribed to Shooting Times because they had an awesome photographer. He died soon after I got my first subscription edition but I hung in there for awhile.
Bottom line; don't be too hard on the gun rag writers. Our agendas differ and the sooner we realize that the better.

StrawHat
02-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes, many of us could write "better" articles than what some folks pay good money to read (after wading thru the ads). Be honest with yourself, how many people would be interested in what we could write? Yes, I buy Rifle and Handloader on occasion but wouldn't think of subscribing. I suspect today's rags serve today's target audience quite well....but we're not their target audience. Face it, it's not about us. It's about getting new folks into this game; spending money on tools, components, guns and accessories. I think maybe they're doing a fine job, even if we aren't much interested in their articles.
I'll admit I once subscribed to Shooting Times because they had an awesome photographer. He died soon after I got my first subscription edition but I hung in there for awhile.
Bottom line; don't be too hard on the gun rag writers. Our agendas differ and the sooner we realize that the better.

Very interesting take on the concept. I agree, as a stepping stone they do have their place.

Kevin

marlin39a
02-14-2016, 10:12 AM
I pick it up each month off the Walmart rack, but never buy anymore. Just not worth the price for what they give. If I need any information, I usually find it here.

44magLeo
02-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Someone asked about reloading data. Any published data only applies to the fire arm it was shot in. Yours might handle the same loads ok, maybe not.
Always start low and work up.
The only safe way to know what your firearm can handle.
Leo

Duckdog
02-14-2016, 01:25 PM
I quit subscribing to any of them a long time ago. All recycled **** that I can get for free off line or by just paging through the magazines when they were still good.

I will admit to picking it up on the rack when I see it to see if possibly there is anything worth buying it, but there has not been anything worth buying in a looong time.

Quite franky, I get more off of this site and one or two others than I really ever got from those magazine, anyway.

44man
02-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Money is where it is at today. or free stuff. I have made custom stocks with custom checkering for $100 for friends and what I gained is friends for life. Now it will be $1500 or more and no friends at all. You must make a living for sure if all your eggs are in one basket. You can not survive on a $100 checkering job. 16 hours at the least.
I repaired TV's in the old days CHEAP and had sets from the whole state of Ohio in my garage. Money was made without cheating and I had a LOT from more work, not more from one job. No, I could not afford a shop or employees. But I always had more money and customers from being honest to them.
Gun writers today are not honest with you. They tell you this gun is better but they get a free gun or money.

GONRA
02-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Today gun mags (and other technical stuff) are sometimes written by “paid by the word” guys who:
One - do not hava proper, broad enough knowledge of the topic,
Two - are sometimes Too Lazy to do womp up proper illustrations,
Three – do not take the time to do proper article review and editing before publishing.

An EXTREME case of this is the book “Chemical Analysis of Firearms, Ammunition and Gunshot Residues”
that has stunningly inaccurate el cheapo “stick figure” illustrations.
If that isn’t bad enough for a $120 book, they plagiarized complete sentences,
short paragraphs from one of GONRA’s primer articles.
Idiot Publisher could care less…..

dudel
02-16-2016, 09:21 AM
This issue is the first I haven't bought in about 11 years. I never got to the store and last I looked it was not on the shelf. Oh well, I have found lately that the majority of the things in the mag are either repeats or beating the drum for a new fangled gadget or cartridge. I can learn more here and by re-reading all my loading manuals.

My take is a bit different. I don't see the duplication in stories in six years of Handloader. I see stories on new ammo and equipment in mags, that I've not seen here (polymer-metal projectiles, dopler based chronographs, BC changes at speed and distance).

I do on the other hand see lots of duplication and rehash here.
1) Lee FCD evil or not?
2) Dillon vs everyone else?
3) Lee equipment greatest or worst ever?
4) Powder Check die - yea or nae?
5) what the best boolit for X?
6) SD loads - factory or not?
7) What's the best load for x gun?

I'm sure any of you can add to this list. Some of these get so hashed, and re-re hashed that you see popcorn eating emojis pop right up.

If the mags aren't for you, that's fine; but to dismiss them out of hand (especially if you aren't even reading them), seems a bit short sighted.

Tere is information to be gleaned everywhere.

JMax
02-16-2016, 09:27 AM
I have taken both Handloader and Rifle for years and will continue to do so as there is good information in both though I started casting and reloading in 1958 as a wee lad with my Grandfather.

alamogunr
02-16-2016, 09:38 AM
My take is a bit different. I don't see the duplication in stories in six years of Handloader. I see stories on new ammo and equipment in mags, that I've not seen here (polymer-metal projectiles, dopler based chronographs, BC changes at speed and distance).

I do on the other hand see lots of duplication and rehash here.
1) Lee FCD evil or not?
2) Dillon vs everyone else?
3) Lee equipment greatest or worst ever?
4) Powder Check die - yea or nae?
5) what the best boolit for X?
6) SD loads - factory or not?
7) What's the best load for x gun?

I'm sure any of you can add to this list. Some of these get so hashed, and re-re hashed that you see popcorn eating emojis pop right up.

If the mags aren't for you, that's fine; but to dismiss them out of hand (especially if you aren't even reading them), seems a bit short sighted.

Tere is information to be gleaned everywhere.

#8 Should be "Threads that criticize gun mags".

44man
02-16-2016, 10:07 AM
My experience with Handloader was as a few stated. I got my .475 and had every magazine so I hunted for loads, never found any, just one article with factory loads. Freedom revolver. I got hold of them and was told I was stupid and they DID have an article, well I had it in hand and there was nothing useful.
How do you ever start to load a caliber with no info? What is Handloader supposed to be?
JRH was the same, no info until I found some from Jack.

robg
02-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Subscribed to handloader and rifle for over 10years yes some repeats but there still the best mags out there

Iowa Fox
02-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Save your money and spend more time on the forums. The good ones that is. Sad fact is a lot of the old timers are passing away and things change.

Green Frog
02-16-2016, 03:18 PM

I've "been there, done that" with the writing thing. I had a regular column for several years in The Single Shot Journal, the members' mag for the American Single Shot Rifle Association. I had pretty much free run of whatever new (or neglected) products for any use with single shot rifles that struck my fancy. My articles were well received by the editors and the readers of the mag, but to be honest I sort of ran out of steam... it takes a certain kind of personality to crank out articles month after month, and it is not just having a working knowledge of the subject and access to things to write about. As long as I could put myself in about the same mood I'm usually in when I write on this forum and just "chat" about something that interests me, it is pretty easy to do, but if I have to do it on demand for a monthly or bi-monthly deadline, it just isn't fun. I never got any free guns, but I did get to "borrow" a few to test, and it was pretty hard to send some back when I was done with them, I'll admit, but that's the way it was for me. I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. The few writers at the top of the heap most probably get more perks than I ever did, but I don't think the run of the mill writers really do.

Froggie

No_1
02-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Everything has its place. The magazines supplement the forums and the forums supplement the magazines. I have very little time to view other forums or magazines since taking over this place but will admit that information is available anywhere one cares to look and you should not over look any venue where knowledge may be gained.

dannyd
02-16-2016, 09:30 PM
No 1 do you shoot at gateway????? also got handloader no 301 today

michael.birdsley
02-17-2016, 01:34 AM
The local cabelas in Saginaw Michigan had a Winchester model 1907 chambered in .351 for 545 dollars. The article about It was in hand loader no .300. I knew how to open the action thanks to the article. Nifty little gun. Eventhough, I would have been in over my head reloading for it I wish I had the money. Only thing I could see wrong was the cracked for end. It was cool I seen it and recognized the gun days after reading the article or else I would have just passed it

Patrick L
02-17-2016, 08:09 AM
This seems to be a common thread with all publications these days. Or perhaps as we grow older we just don't like change. The generation that preceeded me bemoans the passing of Keith and O'Connor. I missed out on those guys, but I was weaned on Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Dean Grennel, and Clay Harvey. I miss them all. Maybe in 30-40 years the teenage shooters among us now will bemoan the passing of Patrick Sweeney.

That said, I do get the Handloader/Rifle combo. I get the Rifleman due to my NRA life membership, and yes it is nothing like it was in the past. I also get Guns, partly because I get it for such a great rate, but I do enjoy Taffin, Duke, and a few of the others.

rintinglen
02-17-2016, 02:24 PM
I get a little miffed at some of our members "I'm-so-good-I'm-so-great-thank-you-God-for-making-me" attitudes. Yeah, I have been casting on and off since 1966, but I have never loaded for a 450 Snider. I have owned dozens, maybe scores of revolvers, but I am not as familiar with the newer automatics. Double rifles? Never owned one. Black guns, can't stand 'em. Drillings, Zwielings? I can't even be sure I am spelling them right. Fact is that very few of us,if any of us, is equally expert on all facets of the reloading game. I enjoy the articles on oddities and fringe guns. I have always wanted one of the old Winchester Automatics--not long ago they had an article on reloading for one.

If you like old stuff, like I do, Handloader is the best thing going for such things these days.

Tim357
02-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Yep. What rintinglen said.

Sgt Petro
02-18-2016, 12:42 AM
I get both Rifle and Handloader. The old issues of Handloader are quite enjoyable as well. I score them off eBay when the price is right.

Yes, times change. No it isn't how it used to be, but i enjoy discovering things i would have missed. Most of the articles have enough spark to set me off searching for another, tool, firearm or additional knowledge.

Frank V
02-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Handloader is one of the very few magazines I suscribe to. I think it's way better than most gun mags.
If I were you I'd get a subscription.

44man
02-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Just got my new Guns rag. interesting thing about Elmer from Uncle Taffy at the end but then looking at tests, I see best 3 out of 6 shots or best 3 out of five.
Many of you think 10 shots is where it is but I shoot 5 mostly to keep rounds even in the MTM box. I count every shot. Maybe I should count two out of six. I can see you if I did that! Then shooting at 15 yards or 20 feet!
Then Mike saying he owned 50 Sharps and many rollers over the years, know what it costs to own ONE sharps?

shtur
02-18-2016, 03:44 PM
To get free hunts, rifles, scopes, dies, binoculars, anything, they have to write about them. By buying the magazine, we're paying for the writer to get the free item(s).

I quit subscribing to Handloader 25 years ago, and do not miss it one tiny bit.

44man
02-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Agree, most writers have a billion dollars worth of guns. Racks of dies to make Midway look sick. every loading tool made. 200 boxes of factory loads to shoot from a gun. A $5000 scope to sell you because it is better then a $50 Bushnell.
I don't buy that junk.
Where did I go wrong? Rags do not pay that much, in fact it is below the minimum wage. A name is all you need. Just never say wrong and you get free stuff.

dondiego
02-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Are you going to vote for Bernie?

dudel
02-19-2016, 11:03 AM
To get free hunts, rifles, scopes, dies, binoculars, anything, they have to write about them. By buying the magazine, we're paying for the writer to get the free item(s).

That doesn't bother me at all. How else are they going to write about it? From what I've read, they have to send it back (or they can buy it at a reduced cost). Well, not the hunts; but if you think about it most of us get free stuff, even if it's a pizza from a vendor. Is a pizza going to sway my decision in the review of a product? Not likely. I have to live with it afterwards.

TomAM
02-19-2016, 11:10 PM
So far, I have supplied four custom molds for use in gun mag articles about obscure calibers.
Each time, the writer paid in full. Even when I offered the mold for free, they insisted on paying.
Mike Venturino filled out the order form for the 351 WSL mold for the latest article without saying a word.

All this jealousy B S about free stuff... Really does sound like a fan of Bernie.

44man
02-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Don't take me wrong guys, I like Mike and wished he would post here again. I only questioned his money source but consider him reputable.
Yes if a gun writer gets a gun to test he has to return it or pay cost. But the amount of other free stuff is huge. It is advertising after all.
However one gun writer, I do not remember his name, some time ago, never, ever returned a gun or paid for them.
I knew a writer that brought so much ammo here to test it was crazy. I found some bad results like bullet pull to tie up a gun, poor accuracy, etc but that was never put in print.
A problem should be faced and corrected. Never lie about anything because a locked gun with bear breath in your face should never happen.
Today most gun tests are made with factory ammo and that is fine but what is the name of Handloader? It has been real rare to find load info lately or much about cast.
Who do I read most today, it is Mike and Taffin last. Taffin has knowledge of history but can't tell you how to make a gun shoot.
Yes, I miss the old timers and the old rags with info. Today it is a picture of a gun from a professional photographer with lighting we can't make.
The best scope only costs $5000. Today readers do not know what we had.

JohnH
02-20-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a problem with writers today in how they get so many guns, many super expensive collector items. Those $20,000 or more things. Then shelf's full of dies. That money is not from an article in a rag. Pay is sad so it must be from companies. Gun writers get stuff free to test. Some keep the stuff when they need to return it or pay for it at cost.
All of you have seen a row of guns worth millions in rags from a writer.
What does Mike own? he was here long ago when I asked him. He said "horse trading" but he left right quick. Yes it was ME that he left.
I don't read anything Taffin says either.

^^^This from post #20 from this thread, and then you say you'd like to see Mike post here again. Ever look at the badmouthing you lay out against these men and then wonder why they won't post here? Somehow, I can't say that I blame 'em. I've found that I have better things to do most days too.

Don Fischer
02-20-2016, 12:49 PM
I'd read many years ago that firearms were sent to writer's with the agreement that they either send them back or buy at a reduced cost. But it seem's that to many of these writer's got the gun's, wrote the report and just kept the gun. The explanation for it was that the gun maker's didn't want to tick off some writer and get bad press.

Frank V
02-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Get the handloader magazine rifle too!

Duckdog
02-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Like was said, the equipment they use, both scope and gun, cost far and away more than I would ever pay for them. Combine that and the info I can easily get for free, and it pretty much tells me to keep the money for the subscriptions in my pocket to spend on something more tangible to me. I shoot nothing but cast and know the limitations. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on scopes for guns that are already giving me very nice groups with a less costly scope. To each his own.

When I was a young pup, if you even had a scope on your rifle you were one pretty cool cat. Now, if you have not spent $500 and above it is a piece of s_ _ t and if your rifle or pistol doesn't cost more than that, it is the same.

I just think that there is really a limited amount of stuff to write about when it comes to some of this stuff, so it all ends up just getting recycled with a writers twist o it promoting a company that gave him or her a freebie to do it. I think I got more out of Lee's 2nd edition in his section on calculating cast bullet loads based on pressure /BHN than I did out of the magazines in many years.

dudel
02-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Now, if you have not spent $500 and above it is a piece of s_ _ t and if your rifle or pistol doesn't cost more than that, it is the same.

I think you're hanging with the wrong crowd. I shoot and converse with a bunch of Handi rifle enthusiasts. We brag on how LITTLE we spend on the rifle. We shoot some pretty nice groups with them also. Gets some of the folks with spendy rifles downright flumfloxed.

Duckdog
02-21-2016, 12:01 PM
What I was referring to was the articles and also some folks I know. I also have a slug of handis and barrels as well, and they do shoot very nice groups. In fact I just figured out the my 44 mag and what bullet to feed it. With a .434 bullet it dowright stuns me as far as the groups it is capable of shooting. I also just picked up my 270 barrel I have had forever, and start shooting cast with it, which is what I bought it for. Lee now makes a 135 gr mold, combined with homemade gas checks and 14 grains of Unique and I am getting 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards.

Great to find anther Handi enthusiast!

dudel
02-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Great to find anther Handi enthusiast!

DD, don't know if you've been to GrayBeards (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/), but there are a host of Handi-holics there. Good bunch of down to earth folks.

My Handi in 300BO is downright boring. Need to make smaller targets!

Handi spoken there.

onceabull
02-21-2016, 01:57 PM
I have a couple friends who have the low end(fixed barrel) CVA sigleshots,and those shoot darned well,too..My handi in 7x64 has been more than must satisfactory ,too... Onceabull

44man
02-21-2016, 03:48 PM
DD, don't know if you've been to GrayBeards (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/), but there are a host of Handi-holics there. Good bunch of down to earth folks.

My Handi in 300BO is downright boring. Need to make smaller targets!

Handi spoken there.

I belonged but only posted one time, nothing of importance, just praise for a group or something simple. It was years and years later I found the site in my book. Said Darn, Veral is there and I have a question. I tried to sign on to find I was BANNED! HOW? I called Veral and he told me he had no idea, came from farther up the chain.

Frank V
02-21-2016, 08:47 PM
:guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley:

Heh just bought this months Rifle magazine. Articles about the Cooper, & several others that look interesting.
Each to his own, but I LIKE THEM![smilie=w:

Duckdog
02-22-2016, 07:10 AM
I do visit that site once in a while. I do know they did a lot of changes with password security and IP addresses and it has been a pain to log on ever since. Lots f great info over there, too.

I have also been banned from sites before I ever even made one single post. I think it boils down to something in the site's security software and your IP address or something.

45-70 Chevroner
02-22-2016, 01:08 PM
I started getting the rag when it first came out and had stacks of them. I had so many I cut out what I wanted and gave the rest away. There were good writers and tests but we lost them all.
Now they write about what advertisers pay for. They write about a gun, etc and the next page is a full page ad.
Rifleman is the same. A scope test is for a $5000 scope, who among us buys them?
One session on the porcelain will finish every gun rag today.
Remember Ken Waters? I bought all of his books. He did the work.
All rags are the same now, Carol got a free issue of Rachel Rays rag and there is one recipe in it, the rest, 99.9% are ads.
They make so much money from ads, the rags should be free.
I dropped all long ago, I know more then the writers and most of you here do too.
Save your money for powder, if it can't be found here, it does not exist.
Could you imagine a Cast Boolit magazine?
Castbullet Association of America has a cast bullet magazine. You can even send articles into them for publishing. I did it one time back in the 80's. I used to go to their web sight but this site is a lot better.
The magazine is called the Fouling Shot, I still have all the magazines from the 80's and 90's. That's where I learned the most for the time that I know about bullet casting. I have learned a lot more since joining this group of casters.

blue32
03-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Handloader is a good mag albeit on the pricey side. I'll pick up an issue now and then if it has an article I'm interested in. I think a lot of the substance of today's published work might be edited out due to length restrictions. That's just a hunch, but I began writing and submitting articles about a year ago. The frequent response was that my pictures were not good enough. If you look at the pictures from the 70's to now you will undoubtedly see a huge difference in quality.

Anyways, I think the best way forward is to do what another poster said and start publishing your own articles. I began doing that online and its given me an avenue to forward the shooting and reloading angle without having to worry about advertisers or income.

FN in MT
03-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I think it would be a GREAT thing if Dave Scovill retired. JMO Gp

LOL. My opinion as well.

I think their content has gone down hill since years back. But take a look at Shooting times, or the other rags...WAY worse.

TXGunNut
03-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Gun rags? Waste of paper and ink in most cases these days. Can learn more around here and sometimes the pics (NOT mine!) are better.

ghh3rd
03-08-2016, 12:41 AM
First; my very first issue of Handloader was Aug 2005 I bought it because it had the definitive work on loading the .45-70 cartridge by Brian Pearce. I have read that article no less than 100 times!There have been several other individual issues which also contained definitive articles about subjects that interest me. Mostly by Brian Pearce. His articles on loading .44 Spec/Mag ,45's and various Handgun and Rifle cartridges are the basis for much of the data published in Hornady's Loading Manuals.

Randy - actually it was Aug 2007... the only reason that I know that is that is because I just came across a post that's a few years old where someone was looking for that issue, for that arcicle :-). I had ordered the issue on CD a few years ago, because of the 45-70 article, and am passing the CD on to the the member who was looking for it... he had a long wait until someone who had it came across his post.

Frank V
03-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Mine came today, I'm going to like the article about the .35 Rem. I had one a long time ago & foolishly traded it it was a Marlin 336 with the waffle top receiver. Wish I still had that one.:sad: