PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

johnho
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
In my target bullets for 45 and 38's I get no lube residue in my barrel and no leading. After finally getting a good load for my 40 S&W I thought I was getting a lot of leading until I cleaned the barrel and it came right out. Figure it's the lube as it just washes out with one patch of Butch's Bore Shine.

I am using Magma's hard lube. Velocity is around 850 fps which suprises me that it would do that. But my 45 and 38's are about 750 for the 45 and 675 for the 38.. Any suggestions on what to try so i can eliminate that buildup? I have some of Lars red lube but it does the same thing.

thanks,

John

runfiverun
04-28-2008, 12:56 AM
that lube in the bbl is keeping the lead out of the bbl right?

johnho
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
for sure it is. but the build up is heavy, not like in my other pistols. In fact I never get anything in them-lead or lube.

leftiye
04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Lubes that build up need to be soft - especially if your boolits are soft - if the buildup is very hard (or very heavy) it will deform your boolits, and accuracy will be affected. At low velocities like that most any halfway decent lube will do the job. Velocity with the 40 is not that high, but I'd still guess the fouling is the lube melting out of the lube grooves (just my best guess).