PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know which holster will fit a Dragoon?

docone31
02-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I have a #2 Dragoon. I am trying to find an holster that will fit the pistol. I am a lefty and of large size.
My '51 Navy will drop right into an holster that fits a Dan Wesson 15-2. I am suspecting the Dragoon will do the same with another holster.
Does anyone have any ideas?

pietro
02-08-2016, 07:53 PM

Click & scroll down to the Dragoon holster you want.

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/leatherproducts.aspx

http://possibleshop.com/p-g-cap-ball-rigs.html

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_98_527

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/300061/triple-k-310-belt-holster-colt-walker-9-barrel-leather-walnut-oil?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting%20-%20Holsters%20%26%20Belts-_-Triple%20K-_-300061&gclid=CPzSm5yt6coCFQgaaQod-T0Fnw

docone31
02-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Found several I like. Thanks. I had just found the possible shop one earlier.
I appreciate it.

johnson1942
02-08-2016, 08:45 PM
i punched in holsters for dragoon revolver and too many came up to put here. the internet is full of them. i was just talking to a mountain man club member today about the dragoons and didnt realize they held 60 grains of powder behind the ball. that is quite a gun. tell us about yours?

docone31
02-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Mine also holds 60gns. I resize .50 cal balls in a Lee .452 sizer. Makes a good conical. I am going to send it off to Goons Gunworks to get a real tune up. Heard good things there.
The pistol was a Western Arms pistol. The ones in the law suit. Kind of historic there for an Italian piece.
The person who sold it to me, died shortly after. It was his, and he fired it heavy.
I have sanded off the Uberti tail, making the grips feel better. It does not jam caps.
I love it, and when I go to the range, people around me move. It makes noise, smoke, and hits a little high. Slow to load, and great to fire.
No wonder Sam Colt loved the Dragoons the best. They just feel right.

docone31
02-08-2016, 09:56 PM
I forgot to add, I use 40gns. I got a spout from TOW to go on my flask. More than that, and the rammer drops.

johnson1942
02-08-2016, 09:59 PM
it is so interesting that you resize 50 cal roundballs to .452. i do the same thing 50 to .451 and load them in my 45 long colt cases and shoot them in my conversion cylinder for my ruger old army. they have a nice little bearing surface and shoot holes in holes. i also resize .457 round balls to .451 and they also shoot very well in my ruger old army long colt. im glad you told every one about that as it is very good piece of information for those shooting cap and ball and also conversion cylinders. thanks.

docone31
02-08-2016, 10:16 PM
I got the original idea from something you posted back then. I fooled around with dies and found the sweet one. I can size far more than I can shoot for sure.
I used to be solid ACP, or 7.62. I now prefer Black Powder. They just perform better for me. I am working on my Hawken for down range accuracy, messing with rear sights. I did the dove tails, and filed the sights. I never cared for crunchen tickers. I would rather have flint, or a capper any day.
I use 3fffg in everything but my .54. It doesn't like that much. Sprays at 100yds, rather than groups.
That Dragoon was like a dream come true. I had wanted one much of my life, and one day, there was one. There was an authentic one across from the table that day also. I just could not afford that one.
It felt electric to hold history.

johnson1942
02-08-2016, 11:30 PM
my friend has one and it really fills the hand. i think i did post in the past about down sizeing the 50 cal round ball. for my blackpowder 38 special i down size a .375 to a .358 and it also is a shooter. love those resizeing dies.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Just remember that they were called 'horse pistols' because the horse carried the holster, not the man. Other than the Patterson (really to few made to qualify) the 1851 Navy was the first 'belt' pistol of adequate caliber.

You strap that holster on your belt and you will know you are carrying something!

doc1876
02-12-2016, 09:27 AM
did you find a holster to fit your pistol?
I have a couple of Walkers, and have a Walker flap holster that is very heavy horse hide that I might let go of. it is for the right side, and you carry it cross draw for a left hand draw..
A dragoon will fit in it, but it may be a little large, as the Walker has a 9 inch barrel.

This post makes me think I need to get them out and shoot them again soon!

Hickok
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Just remember that they were called 'horse pistols' because the horse carried the holster, not the man. Other than the Patterson (really to few made to qualify) the 1851 Navy was the first 'belt' pistol of adequate caliber.

You strap that holster on your belt and you will know you are carrying something!Keeping your pants up is going to be the problem when you strap that piece of iron on!:bigsmyl2: