PDA

View Full Version : Suspenders, anyone?

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Awhile back, I got tired of my pants sagging on one side due to the weight of my choice of daily carry firearms. Sure, I could choose to wear a heavy leather belt and cinch it up tight, but from a comfort standpoint, I prefer my jeans to be a bit looser and wear one of the nylon webbing BDU-type belts. I decided to try adding a pair of 1.5" wide suspenders made by Dickies. They keep the pants where they should be and they hide under my vest. Not that I really care what I look like -- I'm too old to bother with that nonsense.

So, anyone else started wearing suspenders to solve a problem of sagging pants due to the weight of a handgun?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41k9D1pB4uL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

Elkins45
02-07-2016, 07:49 AM
I started almost immediately after I got my CCW permit in 1997. I like the Perry suspenders because they will hook under your belt and really they hold up your belt and not your pants.

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 08:04 AM
I started almost immediately after I got my CCW permit in 1997. I like the Perry suspenders because they will hook under your belt and really they hold up your belt and not your pants.

Have you tried them with the BDU-type belts? Those nylon straps don't provide much in the way of substance for holding up pants (that's why they are comfortable, I guess).

I've wondered about the side clip type suspenders though. I suspect that they might get in the way of where I carry my OWB holster though.

http://www.mysuspenders.com/side-clip3.jpg

Rick Hodges
02-07-2016, 08:11 AM
I wear them while hunting...because it slows me down and makes it more sporting when nature calls....:kidding:

kenyerian
02-07-2016, 08:16 AM
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-perry-side-clip-suspenders-60526.aspx?processor=content
These are my Favorites. Keep my pants up very well. I do use them with a leather belt.

Hogtamer
02-07-2016, 08:40 AM
The need for suspenders is caused by a vitamin deficiency, that is, no assitol. Having said that, I've worn perry type suspenders for about 15 yrs. .

jcwit
02-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I've been wearing the kind with plastic hooks that hook onto the belt instead of the snap closer type shown. This keeps from tearing up the pants. They are available at WalMart.

They are made by Perry. Here's the site.

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 08:53 AM
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-perry-side-clip-suspenders-60526.aspx?processor=content
These are my Favorites. Keep my pants up very well. I do use them with a leather belt.

Do you find that the side clip style gets in the way of where you carry an OWB holster?

Edster
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Do you find that the side clip style gets in the way of where you carry an OWB holster?

Nope with the single attachment point in the rear there is nothing to foul your IWB or OWB holster.

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
The need for suspenders is caused by a vitamin deficiency, that is, no assitol. Having said that, I've worn perry type suspenders for about 15 yrs. .

That would explain why my wife started wearing the skinny suspenders under her shirt when she's wearing her loose fitting yoga pants.

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Nope with the single attachment point in the rear there is nothing to foul your IWB or OWB holster.

Those aren't the side clip style. The side clip style have only 2 clips and they are basically at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

Edster
02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Those aren't the side clip style. The side clip style have only 2 clips and they are basically at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

Sorry Perry's are what I have.. I am of the same opinion on the other style, looks like they will be in the way of a holster.

jcwit
02-07-2016, 09:06 AM
The ones I wear are the 3 point ones also. Nothing to worry about while carrying.

Been wearing this style for 2 years now.

kenyerian
02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Do you find that the side clip style gets in the way of where you carry an OWB holster? No . I like my holster right in front of the clip and it's comfortable for me. I'm left handed and I prefer a cross draw. The clip helps keep the holster in place..

farmerjim
02-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Standard suspenders. I started wearing them for farming and found they work well for keeping pants up with concealed carry.

Blackwater
02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Not being a frequent suspender wearer (which I may well change!), let me just note that when John Wesley Harding was arrested by TX Rangers and taken into custody, the only reason they didn't have to shoot him and end his career right then and there was he got the hammer of his Colt caught in his suspenders while trying to draw, and that cost him a number of years in the state penitentiary! Be very careful if you wear them that they don't and can't interfere with your draw, especially if your gun has an exposed hammer! Holding one's pants up is a good thing, but getting your gun caught up in them in a tight would be a very BAD thing, and could cost you your life. So they're fine, PROVIDED you watch out for this little "detail." FWIW?

kenyerian
02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Good point! Getting the hammer caught up in any clothing is a bad experience.

jmort
02-07-2016, 11:11 AM
I ordered some suspenders a couple months back as have to keep pulling up my jeans, not a CCW issue, but due to my "front-porch," unfortunately. Will help with the holster, no doubt.

ironhead7544
02-07-2016, 11:19 AM
I have been using the Perry's for about a year now. The plastic hooks seem like a good idea but they are constantly popping off.
they need to be made to slide on so they cant come off. Suspenders Store has the type that cant come off. Slides over the belt.

ksfowler166
02-07-2016, 11:20 AM
I wear 2" Perry suspenders, the ones that hook to your belt. I also wear a double layer 1.75" leather gun belt. But then again I am supporting a 4" K frame and some times a second gun.

Bonz
02-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm actually tempted to buy a shoulder holster rig for my heavy carry pistols. My IWB holsters work great for the lighter ones.

ole 5 hole group
02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Come on guys - shop at a "real" man's establishment.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-accessories/mens-suspenders/mens-suspenders.aspx

bedbugbilly
02-07-2016, 01:56 PM
In "theory" . . . instead of wearing just one gun, you could have two identical ones . . one for each side which would "even" things out so you wouldn't need suspenders. Notice I said "in theory" . . . LOL

leadman
02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Recently started wearing suspenders due to sciatica and can't cinch up a belt without pain. Due like that the pants stay up better and the shirt stays tucked in.
My carry pistol is an LCP so pretty light.

jcwit
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
I glued an extra piece of leather to a couple of my thinner belts and solved the issue of the hook coming off.

mozeppa
02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
my doctor informed me that i have bad case of "noassitol" and to properly wear pants i needed to get some.
my wife found plenty and she said she was gonna get rid of hers but she won't share with me...so far she still has it.

that's just mean!

montana_charlie
02-07-2016, 03:15 PM
my doctor informed me that i have bad case of "noassitol" and to properly wear pants i needed to get some.
my wife found plenty and she said she was gonna get rid of hers but she won't share with me...so far she still has it.

that's just mean!
Are you saying that she's going to cut you off and just give it away?

marlin39a
02-07-2016, 03:22 PM
I'll be 60 this summer. Damned if I'll ever wear suspenders!

jcwit
02-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Hey there youngster, you might be supprised what you'll do and wear as you get older.

Never say never!

I really thought I'd never wear suspenders either, but as I got older, and the meds I take made my body gain weight, I gave up and actually now like them. Sure beats hicking your pants up all the time.

Elkins45
02-07-2016, 03:47 PM

I really wanted to use the two point side attach version but I found they did exactly what you are concerned about. The gun butt would end up under the suspended strap somehow. I have now relegated them to hunting duty.

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 03:49 PM

It's a look that some people can pull off...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f9/2e/74/f92e741014a442062e656625d3e13e90.jpg
(Michael Douglas from movie "Wall Street")

and some people can't...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1361291253_4-steve-urkel.jpg
(Urkel)

NavyVet1959
02-07-2016, 04:06 PM
I really wanted to use the two point side attach version but I found they did exactly what you are concerned about. The gun butt would end up under the suspended strap somehow. I have now relegated them to hunting duty.

If I was using a holster that actually fit on the belt, maybe the side attach suspenders would still work, but since I've pretty much switched to paddle type Kydex OWB holster for all my guns, I suspect it would be a problem.

Geezer in NH
02-07-2016, 06:55 PM
:killingpc:holysheep:kidding:

Big Rack
02-07-2016, 08:23 PM
I also have no assitol and a front porch, started wearing 3 point suspenders when I was cowboy shooting. They button on with Walmart bachelor buttons all the clips end up to where they won't hold. Currently have a pair I made from leather I have brass clips on them and with the little leather tabs through the ciips I can use buttons which I prefer or I can loop around the belt loops.

Biggest problem was I made them from a set of braided reigns took a long time for the stretch to come up.

bear67
02-07-2016, 08:47 PM
I am a safety man, I wear both a belt and suspenders. I am a leather worker and have lots of belt leather on hand, but I wear double thickness gun belts with stiffener sewn in. Usually G&G (Gould and Goodritch) along with HD Perry two point suspenders. This works with pocket carry, IWB or OWB holsters. I use leather holsters that the belt threads through. The side clips set behind the holsters, I use, and the pistol/revolver sits just ahead of 3 O clock position. Has worked for me for many years and the placement puts the handgun and holster where it is comfortable to wear in the truck and to get in and out often.

I order direct from Perry and usually wear their HD models which are heaver material in the straps. I have finally worn out some of the Perry's, but it is after everyday wear for 10 years. If you want to look at the G&G belts, go to their site or GT Distributors--I can mail order or go by their Austin store. They have a store in Dallas, but have not visited yet as I have to go to Austin often.

I suffer from NAA (noassatol) also. Only time I don't have on suspenders now is when I am in my Roundhouse overalls.

bearcove
02-07-2016, 09:57 PM
I always wear them. Doesn't have anything to do with carrying. Just don't like a tight belt, bend over a lot working. And I'm not a plumber.

The Carhartt ones are good and last. Don't have any clip on ones cause I don't wear a belt much.

mac60
02-07-2016, 11:20 PM
I always wear them. Doesn't have anything to do with carrying. Just don't like a tight belt, bend over a lot working. And I'm not a plumber.

The Carhartt ones are good and last. Don't have any clip on ones cause I don't wear a belt much.

I'm the same way - I cannot tolerate anything tight around my middle. I do wear a belt though, but it's not cinched up tight.

bayjoe
02-07-2016, 11:41 PM
i'm a proud member of the spender squad too!

GaryN
02-11-2016, 02:42 AM
I use a shoulder holster that has straps that attach to the belt on both sides. It actually works like suspenders and holds my pants up.

Greg S
02-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Been wearing suspenders since my last bad fall and 9 months of chiro work. Worn out a bunch of Carharts, getting ready to try some of these here. http://betterspenders.com/

Col4570
02-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear that I am not alone when it comes to pants going south.If I was carrying a Colt walker or some other cannon yes but my Jeans insist on wanting to slowly and insidiously slip lower and lower.Now I am not paranoid but I am beginning to think that heat around my nether regions is causing my Leather Belt to stretch.In the distant past I imagine I could have been considered as hot but these days the saggy garments do nothing for my elderly image.so I guess it will be Braces (suspenders) from now on.Do you think a Breach Clout might keep the dang things up.:sad:

Les Staley
02-11-2016, 12:21 PM
All you guys google "Bucksaw Logger Buttons". You're welcome. Les

bobthenailer
02-11-2016, 03:19 PM
I never realized suspenders were still so popular ! I just recently started wearing the Perry type suspenders.

NavyVet1959
02-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Suspenders let you keep your pants up where they are *supposed* to be, thus your covering garment when carrying concealed does not have to be as long. As a side benefit, it reduces the chance of "plumber's butt". :)

When I'm in Wal-Mart and see some of these masculine-gender-challenged "urban youths" (punks) with their pants hanging off these asses, I inform them that there is this new invention called "suspenders" and Wal-Mart even sells them.

Col4570
02-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Over here we call it Builders Bum,theres nothing more unsightly than that cleavage.I worked with a guy who had a Tatoo of a pack of Hounds chasing a Fox to ground with its Tail only visible from the gap,he wore it like a medal and proudly displayed it for all to see.

mold maker
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
I got a serious sunburn because of some unexpected ditch work. I've worn the Perry type ever since.
Blisters under the belt will remind you not to do it that way again.

Walkingwolf
02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
I have been wearing suspenders for decades, ever since I joined the dickydo club. But I find a heavy belt more comfortable to carry most of my fullsize guns, but because I wear the belt outside the belt loops on the hips instead of the waist it does not pull the pants down, even without the suspenders. A trim profile person would not need the suspenders. There are advantages to using a traditional wide gun belt. Turning 62 I go to the bathroom much more than I used to. Instead doing the where to put my gun dance, or letting it sit around my ankles on the floor. I can unbuckle and hang the belt from the hook without ever touching my gun.

Besides I carry too much junk on my belt to mess with threading a belt through them everyday. Gun, Opinel #10 knife 18 cartridges, cell phone, key ring, speed loader case. Of a night a flashlight. Everything goes on the belt where I want it without trying to carry around the belt loops.

But if a gun belt is out of the question, a person could use Sam Brown D ring belt keepers on the belt and use a leather shoulder strap. That would support the weight on just the gun side.

Walkingwolf
02-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Suspenders let you keep your pants up where they are *supposed* to be, thus your covering garment when carrying concealed does not have to be as long. As a side benefit, it reduces the chance of "plumber's butt". :)

When I'm in Wal-Mart and see some of these masculine-gender-challenged "urban youths" (punks) with their pants hanging off these asses, I inform them that there is this new invention called "suspenders" and Wal-Mart even sells them.

We went out to eat last night, and in a very nice restaurant walks in a man as old as I am wearing his pants gangster style. I had a hard time not laughing out loud.

Three44s
02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Been wearing overalls for some time but my "dress code" sort of allows for it .......... I farm and ranch.

But when it absolutely calls for no overalls ...... not even brand new shiney ones ........ well, yes, suspenders ........ 4 pointers in my case.

I do like the overalls for my ccw ...... got a small little light PF9 kel tec for town usage and a light belt under the overalls and holster.

Now as far as pants falling down ....... my state is also open carry ..... and if I had the gun stay up I'd still be good to go ..... just have to have a permit for pants down?

Getting old is NOT for sissies!

Three 44s