PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Lead fom "bad boolits"?

Beaverhunter2
04-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I have some boolits I would like to recover the alloy from. Some are lubed with LLA, others with blue relatively hard lube that I can't ID. I'd like to melt them down for the alloy. Will the lube or gas checks cause me trouble? I remember reading a thread somewhere that the lube causes problems.

Thanks for the help!

John

Blammer
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
nope, will smoke a bit and you can consider it flux.

the GC's will float to the top like other trash and you just skim it off.

runfiverun
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
can't even add to that.........

mooman76
04-27-2008, 01:12 AM
I did quite a few the other day with LLA and it can get kind of messy with allot of them. The other type lube whould burn off quickly but not LLA, it turns to messy tar like substance. I would either do it in the smelting pot if you have allot. On another note if you melt them and let it cool the LLA will be floating of the top and peel of the surfice fairly easy then.
Like stated the GC's will float to the top.

Whitespider
04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
.....On another note if you melt them and let it cool the LLA will be floating of the top and peel of the surfice fairly easy then.....

[smilie=b: I can't believe I didn't think of that. :groner:

DLCTEX
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
The gas checks can be retrieved and opened back up with a tapered punch. The larger calibers may press on without opening, they will be annealed if you get the melt hot . You can lift them with forceps from the surface of the melt and they will be clean. Dale

Blammer
04-27-2008, 09:03 AM
foreceps, for those not in the medical profession, a needlenose pliers would work too. :)

mooman76
04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
[smilie=b: I can't believe I didn't think of that. :groner:

Actually I thought of it a little late like allot of things learn by mistakes. I didn't want to get my ladle gunked up so I used an old spoon. When I finished and the spoon cooled the LLA was the consistancy of crayon and peeled of easily!:mrgreen:

NSP64
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
There are no such thing as Bad Boolits, just misundrstood Boolits:-D
I toss them back in the pot, lube and all.