PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 update question

bubba.50
02-06-2016, 03:52 PM
so, I've been readin' that windows is goin' to "upgrade" everyone to windows 10 whether they want it or not leadin' me to my question.

last year I bought my wife a windows 7 computer for Christmas specifically to be able to play one game(in other words, I got her a $500 Gameboy) because it will only works on 7 or older systems. if the "upgrade" happens who can tell me whether or not there's anything I can do to stop it or get around it so she can keep playin' "The Sims" on it?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-06-2016, 03:56 PM
I have not heard that MS is going to forcibly upgrade everyone to 10...I highly doubt it,
BUT, if what you said is true
Is SIMS a online game ?
if not, that simple answer is to not connect the computer to the internet.

DougGuy
02-06-2016, 03:57 PM
You can go into the control panel/windows update/view installed updates and uninstall KB3035583 which is the Windows 10 downloader and it will not download and update her Windows 7.

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

Kraschenbirn
02-06-2016, 09:52 PM
I have not heard that MS is going to forcibly upgrade everyone to 10...I highly doubt it,
BUT, if what you said is true
Is SIMS a online game ?
if not, that simple answer is to not connect the computer to the internet.

Yup!! Unless you manually disable your automatic Microsoft 'upgrades', Windows 10 will be uploaded directly to your computer as a part of the next upgrade package. Of course, this will block you from receiving the next set of MS security upgrades and completely disable the built-in 'MS Security Essentials' protection. This was announced by MS, via social media, yesterday and but yet has to be picked by the national media. I caught on to it through the 'Kim Kommando' syndicated radio show discussing computer/internet issues.

Bill

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-06-2016, 10:19 PM
I listen to Kim Kommando also...my radio station only plays her weekend show...on Sunday. So I'll hear about tomorrow :razz:

DougGuy
02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
My boxes all run Win10, but one will not run the November update version 1511. The install fails and it cannot even recover to the initial build of windows. It totally hoses the machine. I recovered it by formatting then installing 7 ultimate, conning M$ into activating it, then let it update to 10. I have a fully legit 10 pro but I cannot let it update to 1511.

*OR* I could yank out the sound card, the raid controller, and the video card and switch all of it to the onboard sound and video, and the 1511 update WILL run on this because I have another machine, same exact machine, running it. Then try and reinstall the hardware. They DO say the 1511 update is hardware specific.

easy ed
02-07-2016, 12:19 AM
You can go into the control panel/windows update/view installed updates and uninstall KB3035583 which is the Windows 10 downloader and it will not download and update her Windows 7.

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

I tried that but the next time I powered on MS turned the windows 10 updater back on.

C.F.Plinker
02-07-2016, 12:26 AM
FWIW my computer guru e-mailed all of his clients about this. He said that the change is scheduled for Feb 9, 2016 and suggested going into Control Panel -- Windows Update -- Change Settings -- UNCHECK give recommended updates the same as important updates.

This is supposed to prevent the update to windows 10 from happening automatically because it will come as a recommended update on Monday.

I went one step further and changed the top box from updating automatically to just telling me what updates are there and letting me choose which ones to do.

Tackleberry41
02-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Just getting rid of that one update wont do it if your computer is still updating. Microsoft just keeps adding newer and more aggressive updates. Only real way to stop them from inevitably forcing win10 'upgrade' is to turn off ALL updates from microsoft. Mine still has that original update. The window pops up 'inviting' you to upgrade, just close it and go about your business. It was later updates that got progressively more aggressive. I turned off updates, and they leave me alone. Its free, but I think we all know nothing good is ever free. Especially from microsoft, its always about money with them. So a 'free' upgrade from microsoft is because they fully plan a rape later. Once they have you locked into Win10, they know they have you trapped, short of buying apple or going with linux. Rest assured they will get more and more aggressive about this subject. They are not making money off win7 or 8. So have already said they will cut off support for the 2 much earlier than they had said before.

Uncle Jimbo
02-07-2016, 12:58 PM
If you are worried about GWX, go here and get the app that will stop it.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

marlin39a
02-07-2016, 03:18 PM
I've long watched www.askwoody.com. Great information on Microsoft updates. I have GWX to rid my machine of windows 10 updates. I like my windows 7 and will stay with it until my machine dies.

imashooter2
02-07-2016, 04:02 PM

I've run this on both a 7 desktop and an 8.1 laptop with no apparent issues. It is nice not to see Microsoft's nagware anymore.

pressonregardless
02-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Microsoft's end game is to migrate everything to subscriptions, this way you won't own the software
like Excel or Word, you'll rent it.

bayjoe
02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
I downloaded Win 10 and don't see much wrong with it, other than the virus protection I had bought is not compatible. So I am gambling that windows defender will do the job.

Blammer
02-09-2016, 07:50 PM
when I have to rent it, I'll go to linux or a mac.

big bore 99
02-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I keep getting those pop ups to upgrade now. I close them out and go on, but they are getting more pushy. When I was younger I liked to get all the latest and greatest upgrades. Now I find that every so called "improvement" I get it just loses a feature that I like and know. Only to go on and have all these options I don't even want or will ever use. Seems they want "technology" to crush all us older guys. These people get off on controlling people.

NavyVet1959
02-09-2016, 08:35 PM
I've had two machines so far that when the Win10 update tried to run on them that it turned them into paperweights. On one desktop that was running Win8.1, I was able to get back to Win8.1, but lost all the applications that were installed on the machine. On one laptop, it was forever stuck in one of the reboots and is just toast now. I had a LOT of stuff on that laptop that I did not want to lose. A lot of prior and current year tax data was there and as such, it REALLY SUCKS. Let's just say that I'm not really a happy camper with respect to my opinion of Win10. :(

If the developers would write their software right the FIRST time, we wouldn't need these continual updates.

Perish the thought that they would wait until their software was actually tested to ensure it works correctly before releasing it, right?

Too many developers these days seem to go under the assumption of "it compiles, so ship it". :(

MtGun44
02-10-2016, 02:28 AM
No way will I go to Win10, too much central control by MS. Just not happening.

jonp
02-10-2016, 05:59 AM
From what I understand, Microsoft will not force everyone to upgrade to 10 but will stop supporting everything else including upgrades. Eventually, you may have to whether you like it or not.

There are several things about 10 I don't like. Having to log in everytime I get onto the computer is silly, sometimes when I type things the keyboard will jump back to the previous line and I have to erase everything I just typed and start over, it uses more memory and power. Not a real fan of the interface either

NavyVet1959
02-10-2016, 06:24 AM
No way will I go to Win10, too much central control by MS. Just not happening.

I was perfectly happy with Win2K. Unfortunately, the vast majority of software developers are lazy these days and they don't write software that can run on multiple platforms. For example -- Turbo Tax. Had to switch from Win2K to WinXP a few years back when they explicitly checked for the version and refused to install on the Win2K machine. When you get a new machine and try to put an older version of the O/S on it, you often find out that the new machine has a new video device and since the old O/S doesn't recognize it, you get stuck with the default VGA resolution of 640x480. When the manufacturer of the video device does not support older versions of the O/S, you get a bit of "incentive" to go with the version of the O/S that came with the machine.

BrassMagnet
02-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Thank you!

This one worked for me! The previous directions didn't. That GWX replicates like a virus!

I also used it on Mrs. Brass' new computer. Her new monitor arrives tomorrow. It is big enough to watch some movies on. Right now she is using her old flat, wide screen on the new one and one of my old boat anchors on the old one. When she finishes moving her files over I get her old computer. It needs a better video card and then I will be able to play my newest game, finally.

knuckleball
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
How to Remove the “Get Windows 10” Icon from Your System Tray
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Go all the way to the bottom of page and create the Windows Registry entry and that will make the icon go away. Windows 7 will be around a few more years. :D

Works on all computers and nothing to install and the info comes from Microsoft.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-21-2016, 07:50 PM
...snip

Yup!! Unless you manually disable your automatic Microsoft 'upgrades', Windows 10 will be uploaded directly to your computer as a part of the next upgrade package. Of course, this will block you from receiving the next set of MS security upgrades and completely disable the built-in 'MS Security Essentials' protection. This was announced by MS, via social media, yesterday and but yet has to be picked by the national media. I caught on to it through the 'Kim Kommando' syndicated radio show discussing computer/internet issues.
Bill

Well, two days ago, MS gave me a new Popup message. Instead of "asking" me to upgrade to MS10, It said MS10 will be upgraded in 15 minutes, then asked me if I needed more time. I did as I always did when I'd get a Popup asking me to upgrade, I clicked the little X in the upper right corner to close that popup window, basically not answering that question. I was thinking, that was like saying no...Well guess what...in 15 minutes, MS10 started to automatically download.

So I upgraded...it seemed "forcibly", But I wonder how much time I could have chosen to put off the upgrade, if I answered the question??? I didn't try to stop the download, and just decided to play along as I figured, I can always reload 8.1 (I think?). My original plan was to stick with 8.1 til I needed a new laptop. But I'm now two days in MS10 and am liking it. It has solved a couple annoyances I had with 8.1

dave524
05-21-2016, 08:01 PM
My wife is a Simms addict, she has it both on a desktop running Windows 8 and also on a laptop running Windows 10, every time a new version comes out the credit card take a hit along with different expansion pacs. Maybe you need bite the bullet and get her a newer version.

victorfox
05-21-2016, 10:08 PM
well i don't know if the update iz arbitrary. what i know is that it ruins the computer performance. got the wife a new laptop last year with windows 8, ugly but functional. she accepted the 10 update and now her laptop almost brand new is a spanking slug. Micro$oft was the reason i moved to Linux in the middle ages (~1998). sometimes I have to use MS Office and other apps, but wine makes them run fine in Linux (quickload, corel draw and such)... Be prepared to upgrade your machine after the update...

Oleman
05-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Yep the other day they tried to force download windows 10 on me. I stopped it. Billy Yates should find his *** in a class action law suit and paying everyone they have tried to do this to getting $100,000 in damages.

Kskybroom
05-21-2016, 11:13 PM
what are some of the difference between 8.1 an 10 ?