PDA

View Full Version : Knee surgery

bearcove
02-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Never done anything like this. ACL replacement plus other stuff on Monday. Yahoo!

Sam Casey
02-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Good luck! Try to do all the PT you can afterwards. Suggest you even ask your Doc to script an extra month. Really helps long term flexibility.

bedbugbilly
02-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Best of luck to you barcove . . . you'll get along just fine. I've never had a knee replacement but have had many friends and acquaintances who have. As Sam Casey said above . . . PT is supposed to be the route to a rapid recover so do what they tell you and work hard at it. Take care and let us know how it's going . . . you'll be in our thoughts and prayers for a rapid recovery!

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2016, 06:22 AM
doing my ankle a week from this wensday. NOT looking forward to it!

Preacher Jim
02-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Bearcove, don't make the mistake I did and am still paying for. Do everything they tell you and listen to the doctor and do the therapist stuff. If you do you will be fine you don't and you will be like me and hurt for years. Listen and do and it gets back to normal, bullhead it and pay with constant pain. P. J.

winelover
02-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Lot's of luck, Bearcove. Had right knee replacement the middle of November. Two months of PT. Went so well, I'm having the left done, the beginning of March. Getting old ain't for the weak of heart.

Winelover

KAF
02-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Do as Dr and therapists say, like your life depends on it.
Lloyd NOBODY likes to be cut on, but it helps in most cases afterwards if you do as told and remember it is not original equipment. There might be limitations down the road, accept them and adapt.

41magjh
02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
I had acl done in 01 I keep ice on it for two weeks too keep swelling down and done the thep all was well then . Now 1 25 16 had tkr on same leg that one my friend you better pull your hat down tight because you in for a ride the first 24 at least I was . I'm doing thep now an an going thur pain but I know it going to be better I can feel it

Kevinakaq
02-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Had a cadaver ACL replacement in 2008 and my miniscus ground. Had lived with not having an ACL for 15 years and knee would constantly pop out from side pressure. Was funny to see peoples faces when i reset it... Has not popped out once since the surgery which is incredible. Having said that I did Pt for one month following and they begged me to come back for another. I was extremly busy at work managing a company and did not. That was a huge mistake! Do all the PT and work on it at home religously. Before the surgery I was intensely jogging almost every day and as a result of not finishing the pt and focusing on it like I should have it was years before I could again. Took me a long time to even set my leg straight without someone pushing down on it.

good luck, definitly do the surgery, but most definitly do ALL, then double, the PT.

opos
02-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Total knee done in 2006 and going strong..Like the doctor told me "It's not a God knee....but close enough"...I did the therapy exactly as told...hated it...but did it and that is what made things so good on down the line...I don't abuse it but don't really baby it either...in fact I usually don't even realize it's there. Good luck

white eagle
02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Good luck Rod
Mine gets done 3/8/2016
need both done but doing 1 at a time

Boz330
02-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Had the left one done Sep 13 and right done Dec 13. Between the knee flexing machine and exercises I was doing 6 hours a day. 3 weeks after the fist replacement I was deer hunting (carefully mind you) but hunting. As everyone said do the PT and have the attitude that this isn't going to beat you.
The 2 knees are different but it is way better than before. The right one feels about as close to natural as you can ask. The left one not so much but it isn't anything that I can't deal with. Most days I don't even think about it. About the biggest thing is I can't kneel very long. that is really uncomfortable. Good Luck and heed the advice above.

Bob

Col4570
02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
I had both done in 2005,six months between opps,I can recommend it,you will be a new person.initialy you will be uncomfortable but the light is at the end of the tunnel.Keep exercising and walking a little further each day.A little tip if you feel that your bed Sheets are irritating you Knees after the opp.make a Tunnel to put over the Knee and then put the Sheets over.Good Luck it will all go well.

PB234
02-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Get plenty of easy to prepare food ready to make it easy to have meals. Either buy lots of easy stuff or make it now and freeze it for later use. Get a chair for the shower and have t at home prior to the surgery. Take the pain pills and be careful to be able to stop taking them.

I suggest having a few weeks of food ready so that meal preparation is not a problematic focus of your life. Same thing for everything else you will need for a few weeks. Dumb stuff like razor blades or other personal care items you will not want to run to the store to buy.

Figure that for a little while you will be watching a lot of TV or surfing the web or reading. Then you must do the physical therapy like your future ability to walk depends on it. Go for it.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Two of my brothers have had knee replacement surgery. One brother had both knees done and had no problems. The other brother had his left knee done by the VA and an infection occurred which he will have to deal with the rest of his life. He was in the VA hospital for six months. They finally removed the new knee and left it out until they thought the infection had cleared. They did another replacement and the infection returned. He is now on an antibiotic forever.

Echo
02-06-2016, 05:22 PM
I had my left knee replaced 3 years ago - not for nothing are they called 'Physical Terrorists', but do it! My knee clicks when I walk (MD told me it would), but can't hear it unless ambient is very quiet. And I have no problems with it.

rondog
02-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Snapped my right ACL in 2005, what fun that was! Had surgery just to clean it out, been without it ever since. Get around just fine, doesn't bother me except walking downhill is kinda sketchy. Also can't run, but couldn't run before that either.

Kevinakaq
02-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Didn't run for ten years plus after loosing my acl. Started weight training it then I could run again. Just always had to be careful of lateral pressure - down in a heartbeat! YMMV...hadn't ran much after surgery though...

Snapped my right ACL in 2005, what fun that was! Had surgery just to clean it out, been without it ever since. Get around just fine, doesn't bother me except walking downhill is kinda sketchy. Also can't run, but couldn't run before that either.

Handloader109
02-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Hey guys, my wife has been having pretty bad pain in her knees and the Dr that read her initial x-ray thinks that she is candidate for replacement. Only 55, and even Dr said that she was young for replacement. If I might, can I ask your ages.? Would you answer poll?

winelover
02-07-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm sixty-four. My right one started acting up, before the age of fifty. The progression is slow, until it you decide you can't put up with any longer. The left one progressed much faster, starting only about five years ago. Most likely due to unconscious weight shifting. Believe me....you will know when it's time. Going for my MRI, tomorrow.

Winelover

bearcove
02-07-2016, 12:15 PM
I am 52, getting a cadaver ACL replacement and cleaning out all the junk. I tore my acl long time ago, but I'm off work and decided to see if they can make it better. It will be nice to not worry about it popping out.

Not looking forward to the PT but its gotta be done.

Rufus Krile
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
In '93 I jumped out of the back of a pickup into a muddy ditch. At a drilling rig. At 9pm. It rapidly went downhill from there. Broken left leg and ACL separated. Had to drive myself home... 100+miles... the next morning. Life was not great. You're getting some good advice here. The PT is a must or you won't be able to fully extend your leg. ("Which will make you walk in a circle and never get anywhere in life..." this is what passes for medical humor...) Now I'm 68 yrs old and can still walk and bend my knee, but I don't jump out of pickups anymore. Be a sissy... take the painkillers, because this is going to hurt a bit.