PDA

View Full Version : how to repair 429421 double cavity

wmitty
02-05-2016, 07:34 PM
There's a Lyman mould currently on evilbay which is damaged due to Bubba trying to to make one cavity a hollow point. One cavity looks fine; the other has an off center, wallowed hole into the cavity nose. How would one go about making the damaged cavity usable? Thread the hole with a capscrew with a flattened end and reset the screw in the cavity with every cast?

longbow
02-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I'd be inclined to use an end mill to center the hole and make it a usable HP cavity. However, if you can't do the work yourself then it will cost a few bucks to get it done.

Otherwise it is likely a single cavity mould.

Unless you can do the work yourself or unless the mould is really cheap I would pass on it, but that's me.

Longbow

telebasher
02-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Send it to Erik @ Hollowpoint Moulds, let him examine it and tell you your options.

country gent
02-05-2016, 10:05 PM
It will bea tricky fix but could be done with some effort. Hole needs to be made round and true in the cavity. This means setting it up in a lathe or mill and boring to original cavity. A matching slug of material needs to be turned up to match te hole dia. A cross pin hole will need to be drilled in both the filler and mold blocks left long to be peened or bolted, some in out movement is desirable to help bullets drop. ANd the faces will need to be matched up from original cavity to filler slug. WHile not hard work it is precise delicate work to do and will take time to set up and accomplish. You need to decide if cost of mould is enough to justify the out lay of time and materials.

Geezer in NH
02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
I would pass

Mal Paso
02-08-2016, 10:37 PM
NOE has em brand new in 2 sizes, and quite a few versions.

I would ask the "seller" how much can he pay you. :wink:

Ole Joe Clarke
02-08-2016, 10:46 PM
To do it right you will come out cheaper to buy a new two cavity.

Have a blessed day,

Leon