PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 Casting Questions

Littledog
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I picked up a NIB Winchester 94 Legacy in 38-55 and I'd like to start casting for it. My first choice for a bullet would be one that is 250-255 grain with a plain base using a Lyman #2 alloy. But, before I get too far into this, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

First off, short of slugging the bore, can anyone comment on as to the bore diameter on the new Winchesters and are they consistent? Also, does the land-groove design works well with cast bullets? And finally, are there any major pitfalls associated with casting for this caliber? Thank you.

BlueSmoke
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I haven't cast for mine yet, but I did buy one of the group buy moulds from a few years ago.

I have a M94 hunter from 2005 or 2006?

It absolutely loves .380 diam 240gr. laser cast bullets. The load I'm using is 17 gr. AA5744.

It may shoot a softer bullet with softer lube better......but I haven't tried yet.

Nice rifle. Fun to shoot.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

oneokie
04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
To be able to determine which size boolit your rifle preferrs, it will be necessary to slug the bore.
Then the fun begins, as most 38-55's have groove diameter large enough that the properly sized boolit will not chamber when loaded into a cartridge case. Starline makes some brass that has .007" wall thickness that may allow you to utilize .380" or .381" boolits, depending on chamber dimensions.
Some people convert 30-30 brass for this purpose as the neck walls are thinner allowing the use of larger dia. boolits.
Most likely, your Legacy has the shorter chamber designed for the 2.080" brass.