PDA

View Full Version : Sticky

rjathon
02-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Stickys on this website suck. Why aren't they edited by experts so that they can be concise and accurate? I read through 24 pages of **** on high velocity in the 6.5 only to find out that it is a hoax.

Stickys aren't much better than a Google search.

Taylor
02-05-2016, 03:10 PM
You mad Bro?:violin:

ShooterAZ
02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
What do you want for free? Your money back?

waksupi
02-05-2016, 03:57 PM
It would be more than welcome for someone in the throes of aggravation to do exactly as you say, and do an edited version of the topic. It would have to be voluntary, as no one gets paid a dime here.

runfiverun
02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
and just how would you like it edited?
for the pro or the con side of things?

the very, very best way to figure out if it's possible is to read what was written by everybody.
take what works and figure the rest out as you go.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-05-2016, 04:45 PM
HV in 6.5, that wasn't a hoax ...now the Saga of the "Asperly Aimless" ...that was a hoax...but a good read.

The Info on long winded sticky threads, is valuable, no doubt. Now the occasional drift and extraneous posts are just the nature of the beast.

ShooterAZ
02-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Well, I guess we can at least appreciate the fact that he took the time read the Stickies.

rjathon
02-05-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm not mad, I just see where some great work could be done. For example there are several stickys on powder coating that are almost 120 pages long. There is enough experience on powder coating now that good solid info could be condensed into a few pages that would really be helpful and ease a lot of frustration and trial and error that wouldn't be necessary.

There is bad info mixed with good. It seems that if something has some relevance it ends up as a sticky as is, unedited, and they seem to grow and grow and grow. It would be nice if stickys were good proven information that was concise. If one wants to bake a cake a recipe book has a recipe that takes up about a quarter of a page. If one had to read through 118 pages of gibberish with some good lines buried in garbage baking a cake would be laughable. Powder coating isn't much more difficult than baking a cake…if the recipe is good to start with.

This is a suggestion and nothing more...

ShooterAZ
02-05-2016, 06:53 PM
You literally have to weed through all this stuff. That's how it is. There is a TON of good info to glean, just try not to let it overwhelm you. They put the info up there for all of our benefit, free of charge. No one has the time to go through and do all the editing you are suggesting. You need to condense it for yourself.

shooter93
02-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Well....it's like this.....the topics were started as discussions. Then with a site this big and various people experimenting and getting at times different results they can become quite long. They are pretty much opinion polls with what works for who. Yes there could be a "Readers Digest condensed" version but generally the people reading the topics glean what they wanted to know along the way and the topic ends. That is what makes it hard on newer people coming or just getting interested in a topic....it can be a long read. Your idea is a sound one and you are more than welcome I'm sure to take on the task for the ones that interest you. As Ric said....no one is paid here....so it would simply be a gift to the site and most people here simply do not have the time....or in my case the skill to take on that much work. And the old sticky would still have to remain.

leeggen
02-05-2016, 10:50 PM
I nominate riathon to do the editing sense it was his idea and seems to think he has a good idea as to what should be in there. Do I hear a second and or a third?:coffeecom
CD

bedbugbilly
02-05-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm curious as to how you determined what was bad and what was good info? Is this your expert opinion and if so, then perhaps you should volunteer to handle all the stickies?

I'll agree that some are extremely long but there is a lot to be learned also from the things posted . . . some may be wrong and some may be right . . . but on this site, members usually post what they've tried. It's up to the reader to sort through it and then determine what they want to take away from it and try for themselves. I'm not trying be be argumentative . . but no one gets paid on this site and it is a free site . . . if a person is looking for "expert" information . . . then go buy a book on the subject and read what the "expert" author has to say . . . but just remember that the author may not have all the answers as well. We all learn from each other but in life, there are no "short-cuts". All a person can do is gather information, make an "informed" decision as to how to do something and then try it . . . but not everything is going to turn out perfect the first time. If it had, my ancestors would have been reading by the light of a light bulb way before Edison perfected it.

You mention powder coating . . . I have never done it. But if you feel that reading the stickies and information here is to lengthy and "cluttered" with un-necessary information that may or may not be good or bad . . . perhaps you should write up the concise way to do it along with photographs and have the moderators put it up as your "sticky"? But I can guarantee that when you do, others who do powder coat and who may be have more experience, will read it and make comments according to their experiences.

Sorry . . . but you post sort of reminds me of some of my students I had in years past and who are part of the "computer generation". When given a research assignment, they never wanted to do any digging and reading to come up with the information nor did they consider that there were many, many references out there that were available that often contained conflicting information . . . instead, they wanted to have "instant results". And while you refer to recipes and recipe books as being concise . . . . I am from the generation where cakes were baked without recipes and there were many, many ways to make a chocolate cake or an apple pie . . . but the results were always the same . . . a good cake or a delicious pie.

Idaho Mule
02-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Do you know of another site that you can get the same information from?? NOTHING is perfect for everyone, can't be, cause we're ALL different. Take what is here for free and use it to your best advantage. Or leave. Pretty simple. JW

Taylor
02-06-2016, 08:45 AM
I nominate riathon to do the editing sense it was his idea and seems to think he has a good idea as to what should be in there. Do I hear a second and or a third?:coffeecom
CD

2nd....call for vote

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I was very fortunate to have grown up the son of a very avid shooter, reloader and caster, so I had some know how from jump street. Losyt interest in most of the reloading and casting stuff through teen age years and then became interested in my early 20s again (pre-internet). Bottom line I learned from hangnging out at gun shops and gun shows, reading whatever I could find (love my old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook) and many pestering phone calls to dad. Oh, and some trial and error there too.

All this said, when I became internet savvy and started joining forums, I learned an awful lot quick, it started trying to learn about an old motorcycle I was messing with, but it was obviously natural I'd gravitate to handloading sites. I thought myself to be a mighty knowlegeable guy with regards to casting and reloading, but have gained knowlege exponentially since joining a few forums, this one in particular.

So, after learning a lot the hard way over the years, forgive me me if I don't just fall all over myself when someone comes on here shrieking and griping that instant gratification doesn't come right to him and he might (gasp!) actually have to read a little bit (heaven forbid you might learn something you hadn't intended along the way). Most of the conservations in those stickies are pretty entertaining, at least to me they are.

Sorry if I come across as being nasty, but there are plenty of other forums, if you don't like the way it is, find another one or propose a suggestion for making this one better. Senseless whinning tends to irritate me and when you open a thread with "this sucks" it gets under my skin fast.

rjathon
02-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I was very fortunate to have grown up the son of a very avid shooter, reloader and caster, so I had some know how from jump street. Losyt interest in most of the reloading and casting stuff through teen age years and then became interested in my early 20s again (pre-internet). Bottom line I learned from hangnging out at gun shops and gun shows, reading whatever I could find (love my old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook) and many pestering phone calls to dad. Oh, and some trial and error there too.

All this said, when I became internet savvy and started joining forums, I learned an awful lot quick, it started trying to learn about an old motorcycle I was messing with, but it was obviously natural I'd gravitate to handloading sites. I thought myself to be a mighty knowlegeable guy with regards to casting and reloading, but have gained knowlege exponentially since joining a few forums, this one in particular.

So, after learning a lot the hard way over the years, forgive me me if I don't just fall all over myself when someone comes on here shrieking and griping that instant gratification doesn't come right to him and he might (gasp!) actually have to read a little bit (heaven forbid you might learn something you hadn't intended along the way). Most of the conservations in those stickies are pretty entertaining, at least to me they are.

Sorry if I come across as being nasty, but there are plenty of other forums, if you don't like the way it is, find another one or propose a suggestion for making this one better. Senseless whinning tends to irritate me and when you open a thread with "this sucks" it gets under my skin fast.

I did propose a suggestion.

And yes, I will write a little primer coating...

fryboy
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
2nd....call for vote

Aye ermm I mean third ;)

I'll freely admit I've gotten lost in some threads that are now stikki's , I'll also admit it wasn't always this way ,you see once upon a time there were no such critters,nope not all are good but one couldn't tell what was good if they've never had the bad ... Worse what's good for you may not be good for me or vice versa but together and overall they do make the whole [shrugz]

Blammer
02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
I think we need to make this a sticky.

Minerat
02-09-2016, 01:34 AM
I think we need to make this a sticky.
I second that. I kind like to read all of the extempores stuff as it makes me realize that I'm perfect.:kidding:

Really this is how we learn what works and why.

BrassMagnet
02-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm curious as to how you determined what was bad and what was good info? Is this your expert opinion and if so, then perhaps you should volunteer to handle all the stickies?

I'll agree that some are extremely long but there is a lot to be learned also from the things posted . . . some may be wrong and some may be right . . . but on this site, members usually post what they've tried. It's up to the reader to sort through it and then determine what they want to take away from it and try for themselves. I'm not trying be be argumentative . . but no one gets paid on this site and it is a free site . . . if a person is looking for "expert" information . . . then go buy a book on the subject and read what the "expert" author has to say . . . but just remember that the author may not have all the answers as well. We all learn from each other but in life, there are no "short-cuts". All a person can do is gather information, make an "informed" decision as to how to do something and then try it . . . but not everything is going to turn out perfect the first time. If it had, my ancestors would have been reading by the light of a light bulb way before Edison perfected it.

You mention powder coating . . . I have never done it. But if you feel that reading the stickies and information here is to lengthy and "cluttered" with un-necessary information that may or may not be good or bad . . . perhaps you should write up the concise way to do it along with photographs and have the moderators put it up as your "sticky"? But I can guarantee that when you do, others who do powder coat and who may be have more experience, will read it and make comments according to their experiences.

Sorry . . . but you post sort of reminds me of some of my students I had in years past and who are part of the "computer generation". When given a research assignment, they never wanted to do any digging and reading to come up with the information nor did they consider that there were many, many references out there that were available that often contained conflicting information . . . instead, they wanted to have "instant results". And while you refer to recipes and recipe books as being concise . . . . I am from the generation where cakes were baked without recipes and there were many, many ways to make a chocolate cake or an apple pie . . . but the results were always the same . . . a good cake or a delicious pie.

Oh, I just love this subject!

Are some of the posts hoaxes? I think not!
It must be a hoax if I can't duplicate the results. Nope, his rifle is different than mine.

I get the same group size with cast as I get with jacketed at any practical range. I have read this or similar a number of times. What a wheel barrow load of horse dropped fertilizer!
I see people shoot scoped hunting rifles at fifty feet or less. Is it a joke he thinks this is a practical range?
We have all seen abysmal shooters. Are they bragging about the same group size?

So why the varying results?
I see three general reasons: Different shooters, different resources, and different rifles.
Different shooters have different skill levels and different testing methodologies.
Different shooters have different tooling and supplies available. Different moulds, too!
Dimensions differ a lot in different rifles, especially surplus military rifles.

Hamish
02-09-2016, 10:43 AM
rj, I feel your pain, sort of,,,,,,,,

Yes, months of wading through conversations, altercations, and threads that don't quite make sense because of heavy handed moderation is aggravating, no doubt.

Nature of the beast my friend. Only way around it is to open a thread and to either dissertate or use the OP to collect and distill the information.

Something to cogitate on. All of the stuff you consider unnecessary? I don't know how many times some tidbit here or there has spurred an associated question or revelation.

Besides, who says either Tom, Dick, or Harry are the right person to edit. Too much of that type of thing has gone on the last couple of years enough.

Dont be wanting to play patty fingers with the threads if you please,,,,,

dtknowles
02-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Stickys on this website suck. Why aren't they edited by experts so that they can be concise and accurate? I read through 24 pages of **** on high velocity in the 6.5 only to find out that it is a hoax.

Stickys aren't much better than a Google search.

Sticky's must be awesome since Google search is awesome.

Could sticky's be better, Instead of editing Sticky's (community property) someone could create a text file or PDF that has the good (in the author's opinion) stuff from the sticky. A really ambitious person could do it for a number of the Sticky's and it could be a book.

I would not complain about what we have here, just work to make it better. If you meant it as a suggestion, maybe you could have said "I have a suggestion" instead of "the Sticky's here suck"

Tim

oldred
02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
...now the Saga of the "Asperly Aimless" ...that was a hoax...

You mean the Asperly Aimless is not real???????? Oh no I just bought one!!!!!!! :lol:

rjathon
02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I posted a primer on how to powder coat: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?299197-Powder-Coat-Primer

If the moderators deem that it is an excellent piece that if followed could quickly and easily get someone started on powder coating then it should be made into a sticky but if so they should edit a few comments and then shut it down so that it remains a one page deal. That way a person reading it can get on with coating without having to wade through excess information that isn't needed. That should be the concept of a sticky, a concise go to piece for proven information. The key is to shut it down to keep it short.

If it is allowed to go on and on for page after page then it should just remain as a thread and not be a sticky.

If stickys are to continue in their present form then perhaps it is time to add a new category, Primers or whatever, and make them the short and concise information sources.

My point is that stickys should be short pieces of proven accurate info and nothing else. That makes them special. That is why they should exist. If it is too late for that then please add a new category that is that.

If my suggestion "gets under my skin" or seems offensive then it is time to recalibrate your sensitivity. I am just trying to add some needed improvement. This website has lots of excellent talent and information. It is a great place for testing and learning. It is an inefficient place for acquiring proven factual information and that is what I would like to see improved upon. Seeking improvement is not an insult and should not be treated as such.

There is quite a learning curve to be conquered for beginning casters. The easier we make it the better.

fryboy
02-09-2016, 12:26 PM
You don't want a Stikki amigo you're after the FAQ section, stikki's are still open for discussion ...( just sayin')

rjathon
02-09-2016, 12:59 PM
You don't want a Stikki amigo you're after the FAQ section, stikki's are still open for discussion ...( just sayin')

Oh...never mind. If by definition stickys are open for discussion then we simply need a new category.

fryboy
02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Look for the section titled frequently asked questions .... Also keep in mind that by locking so called stikki's how could one ask questions debate or add new pertinent data ?

rjathon
02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Look for the section titled frequently asked questions .... Also keep in mind that by locking so called stikki's how could one ask questions debate or add new pertinent data ?

If it is open for questions or debate then it is not mature enough to be a sticky and it should just remain a thread. If it becomes sticky worthy then it should be edited down to concise pertinent info and then made a sticky. Or a primer or whatever pertinent category for concise accurate info.

fryboy
02-09-2016, 01:25 PM
You're free to write what ever you want amigo,stikki's are usually threads found worthy and also where one can still ask about stuff they may not "get" (and not everybody does ) or add a way they found that works better for them ( with the full knowledge that learning should be a ongoing thing as opposed to open the book and shut up and if you don't get it - tough luck )
If you manage to pen a pretty concise umm article that never needs added to etc you could possibly ask the staff to put it in the FAQ's ( they'd debate it etc )

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2016, 01:57 PM
snip...

My point is that stickys should be short pieces of proven accurate info and nothing else. That makes them special. That is why they should exist.
rjathon,
I'm guessin' you don't know how discussion forums work???
what you're suggesting would seemingly fit better on castpics (see the link at the bottom of the page).

merlin101
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I posted a primer on how to powder coat: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?299197-Powder-Coat-Primer
This must be a hoax too, as the real way to powder coat is with an electrostatic gun! See what we are talking about here? Lots of ways to do something and you may or may not end up with acceptable results.
Keep in mind that a lot of what's on here is 'fact' that's based on opinions, and ALL opinions are welcome.
I do have to agree with you that there's a lot of chaff to sort thru to get the grain!

rjathon
02-09-2016, 09:59 PM
This must be a hoax too, as the real way to powder coat is with an electrostatic gun! See what we are talking about here? Lots of ways to do something and you may or may not end up with acceptable results.
Keep in mind that a lot of what's on here is 'fact' that's based on opinions, and ALL opinions are welcome.
I do have to agree with you that there's a lot of chaff to sort thru to get the grain!

An electrostatic method that is proven would also make a nice sticky. Once again the idea is concise proven info. If a thread has various opinions and debate then it shouldn't be a sticky.

There can be lots of short, concise stickys on different aspects of casting, sizing, alloys, lubes, coating, etc. The idea is that if someone wants to learn how to do something specific they can find a good source without having to sift through lots of pages of conflicting information. If a topic is new and not yet figured out yet then it is not ready for a sticky.

fryboy
02-09-2016, 10:23 PM
I just have to ask ..."Is that your final 'definition' of the term 'sticky' ? " ...

there are several known successful ways to powder coat , more yet may be discovered ... yet without various input and discussion .... consider the stikki's a work book/campfire discussion that has merit that may or may not shine a light/path to one who can't see the trees through the forest [shrugz]

( side note to JonB ... gee i hadn't quite forgot about cast pics but didn't think about it here until you mentioned it but good call and entirely apt in this [insert thumbs up emote here :P] )

http://castpics.net/dpl/

JSnover
02-09-2016, 10:24 PM
I read through 24 pages of **** on high velocity in the 6.5 only to find out that it is a hoax.
Se that? Ya learned something right there.

smoked turkey
02-10-2016, 12:31 AM
The old saying "there are a lot of ways to skin the old cat" applies here. My first question would be which one of us is the expert and gets to make a sticky of his or her very own? When we are talking about powder coating for example, I have never done it, and don't know anything about it. The way I would approach the topic is just what we have here..lots of differing opinions and approaches to "skin the cat". Let me as an inquiring mind read the various opinions in the discussion thread. Based on what materials I already have, what my experience level is, what my main motive is for doing it in the first place is , I can better make a decision on which path to follow. I would much rather see the discussion as it unfolds in a single place than to have to wade through several different stickys in order to then make a decision as to which guru to follow. Just me but I think the system we have is pretty good and works for most of us.

rjathon
02-10-2016, 12:41 PM
I stand corrected. If everyone loves the present system more power to them and I will humbly withdraw my suggestion and continue to enjoy this wonderful community.

blackthorn
02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
The only problems I see with the stickies is they often get filled up with comments that are totally unhelpful, i.e. +1, Me too etc. Also, too often the thread will go off on a tangent totally unrelated to the original topic. Now, it is not so much that thread drift is bad, rather I find that too often these drifts are interesting enough that they should really have their own thread because they eventually become lost in the sticky and are discovered strictly by accident. That said I really do not have any real problem with the way we do things now.

waksupi
02-11-2016, 02:13 AM
The only problems I see with the stickies is they often get filled up with comments that are totally unhelpful, i.e. +1, Me too etc. Also, too often the thread will go off on a tangent totally unrelated to the original topic. Now, it is not so much that thread drift is bad, rather I find that too often these drifts are interesting enough that they should really have their own thread because they eventually become lost in the sticky and are discovered strictly by accident. That said I really do not have any real problem with the way we do things now.

The search for any thing here can become a treasure hunt, with an unexpected trove of buried gold being turned up in the most unexpected places.