PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for a Hornady Lock and Load?

BNE
02-03-2016, 10:47 PM
I have an older friend who bought a Hornady Lock and Load. He was having trouble with it and I offered to help him set up the machine. He has since decided that reloading is not really something he wants to jump into. He wants me to make him an offer to buy the equipment. The equipment is basically new and in good shape. He has the dies for 9mm, 40 cal and 45ACP.

I don't want to pay full price, but I don't want to cheat the guy either. What do you reccomend I offer as a fair price?

VHoward
02-03-2016, 11:50 PM
I'd say total everything up with new prices and then offer him 80% of that.

reddog81
02-04-2016, 03:27 AM
I picked up a LNL last year for $250 from a member of a different forum. it was lightly used but everything was in good working condition. i haven't seen any that cheap since then and would consider anything around $300 to $350 fair.
the die sets are probably worth about $25 a piece since they aren't new. Does the LNL come with any shell plate holders? Those are also worth about $25 each.
any other components would help sweeten the deal.

rsrocket1
02-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Take into consideration the 500 free bullets you can get if you bought new. A box of Hornady #3031's run about $25 so there's another $125 in value if you buy new.

jmorris
02-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Last one I bought (when they came out with the EZ-Ject system) was $325 direct from Hornady. Don't forget to subtract the 500 "free" bullets from the value over a new one.

Rogerf
02-12-2016, 08:01 PM
Just to clarify, this is the lock and Load AP or the Classic; with the classic being a single stage and the AP being a progressive? I believe you are speaking of the progressive but want to make sure.

mongoose33
02-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Some of this, for me, would depend on how much I needed it. I have a LNL AP, also have a Lee Classic Cast with the insert to accept LnL bushings.

I recently saw a LNL AP on sale for $379. Subtract the 500 bullet deal (assume you could get $100 for them), and now we're at $279. If it came w/ shell plates, and dies, well, I'd have to amend my estimate.

I don't need dies, but if he had them I'd want them to be Hornady. It's what I've pretty much standardized on for the most part.

If he wants you to take this off his hands, you have to do it on your terms, not his. Don't buy something just to make him whole.