PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Sporting Goods

dale2242
02-03-2016, 08:49 AM
The local newspaper says we are getting a combo Dicks Sporting Goods- Field and Stream by the end of the year.
How do they compare with Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, etc?
More competition is always good.....dale

Taylor
02-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Dick's is a good place to buy high dollar socks.The guns and equipment they do have are over priced.The help have no clue.This is my opinion of our Dick's,I don't go there.I have driving access to Midsouth,Bass Pro,Cabelas and Acadamy.Oh..and Gander Mountain,which I don't like either.

nagantguy
02-03-2016, 09:04 AM
The ones here in MI are higher priced on most stuff, like gander mountain tian high. And they carry no reloading gear. Not terrible 0laces, they do run sales, do have a nice gun counter, lot of archery. And yes competition is a good thing, when the MC and Dunham around here started Carrying handguns prices seemed to go down all around.

bdicki
02-03-2016, 09:11 AM
They run sales on shot shell ammo from time to time.

Coogs
02-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Got one about 24 miles from me, a Dunham's about 8 miles away. Experience for me is way too many know it all's across the counter. Selection only has a tendency to be what is a hot seller nationally/regionally, poor, if any used gun selection. Everyday prices are real high. Only time to possibly buy any thing is on sale/closeout. Even then I prefer to support my LGS, even if I pay a buck or two more. At least I know the local guy will be spending his money locally and not sucking it out of the area like any big box store does. JMHO, Coogs.

Mica_Hiebert
02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
I've herd they don't carry hand guns / pistol ammo cuz those are for killing babies and would rather sell you a kayak than a shotgun...

Hickok
02-03-2016, 09:35 AM
We have a new Dunham's in the area. Just wish they carried powder and reloading supplies.

bob208
02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
well I don't think there is much difference in any of them other then the name. I would rather go to a real gun shop. mite pay a little more. but am keeping a mom and pop in business.

C. Latch
02-03-2016, 09:39 AM
I stopped shopping at Dick's when they stopped carrying ARs after Sandy Hook.

They were overpriced anyway.

Powder Burn
02-03-2016, 10:15 AM
+1 on C. Latch. They don't call them Dick's for nothing.

starmac
02-03-2016, 11:05 AM
I only darkened one Dicks stores door one time. I might not have been too bad if a guy was looking for a pair of socks or baseball shoes. Iirc they not only stopped all sales of ar's and related accessories, day one after Sandy Hook, but cancelled all orders that were already sold. Is seems like they jumped on the overpriced 22 ammo deal early on too.
As far as how they compare to sportsmans, they don't even try to compare, at least not with our sportsmans.

Kraschenbirn
02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
To compete with the Gander Mountain that opened a little over a year earlier, our local 'Dick's' became a 'Dick's/Field & Stream' last fall but nuthin' to write home about. The 'Field & Stream' side offers wider variety of guns/ammo, fishing gear, archery, and outdoor wear but still (very!) overpriced...like 15%-20%. The 'Dick's' side is all big brand team sports gear, exercise wear, and golf equipment. Only been inside the doors twice and the only thing I've purchased was a pair of workout shoes and I had a 20% discount coupon for those.

Bill

popper
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Actually got my 336A & mounted scope there, $300 TTL first gun). Haven't been back since.

marlin39a
02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
I bought both my kayaks from my local Dicks when they were on sale. I haven't been able to buy anything else. The rest of the store is way overpriced. The place is always empty.

WILCO
02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
The local newspaper says we are getting a combo Dicks Sporting Goods- Field and Stream by the end of the year.

Hi Dale!

You're correct, more competition is good.
Dick's sporting goods is better than nothing.
That being said, it's my observation that they tend to focus more on golfing, running, fishing and weight training. They do carry rifles and shotguns. The staff is friendly, but not too knowledgeable at times.
I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to visit them. Sometimes there are deals to be had.

http://thinkofthat.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dicks.jpeg

Edward
02-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Would not step foot in one after there refusal to follow thru on sales made on Ar 15 "s offering gift certificates instead ,removing all AR rifles in sympathy for NY Safe act !

bedbugbilly
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
My experience with them has been about the same as already mentioned. I've been in the a couple of times just to look around . . . prices seem high and as far as anyone behind the counter having any real knowledge . . . typical young employees. They'd have a hard enough time counting change back let alone any knowledge about what they are selling in regards to firearms, etc. Sadly, a sign of the times for many big box stores.

Mica_Hiebert
02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
i've herd they don't carry hand guns / pistol ammo cuz those are for killing babies and would rather sell you a kayak than a shotgun...

i bought both my kayaks from my local dicks when they were on sale. I haven't been able to buy anything else. The rest of the store is way overpriced. The place is always empty.

see what i mean! Lol

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
DICKS sells firearms or related products?

Not in my neck of the woods here in Il or In.

Everything they had in stock seemed to be for the new generation and the children they have as salespersons are not old enough to have any hands on experience.

imashooter2
02-03-2016, 04:16 PM
They didn't just stop selling ARs, they refused to honor orders from folks that had already given down payments. They canceled and those folks were forced back into a market that had doubled or more in price.

By the way, make sure you remember it's dickssportinggoods.com... :shock:

parson48
02-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Have one about a mile from the house. Sometimes you can find some good buys on their gun close out rack. That's about all that I look at when I go there.

HangFireW8
02-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Prices too high, never have .22 in stock. Sometimes I buy boots there, that's about it.

Plate plinker
02-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Yeah Dick's sucks. Support a locally owned shop if possible.

jonp
02-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Absolutely. They are a store for yuppie outdoorsey types that have no intention of actually going outside but want to look good in their Volvo XC's

Garyshome
02-03-2016, 06:18 PM
They usually sell 22lr cheap on black friday, if you don't mind waiting in line real early in the morning.

Budzilla 19
02-03-2016, 06:25 PM
After my experience with DICK'S Sporting Goods over a bottle of ASBB;s, I will NEVER set foot in one of those over-priced, yuppie stores ever again!!! Just keep on supporting my local Gunshop, so can at least talk to some one with an idea of what they sell, other than just the sale price! Ok, rant over. My 2 cents worth.

dragon813gt
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
I bought both my kayaks from my local Dicks when they were on sale. I haven't been able to buy anything else. The rest of the store is way overpriced. The place is always empty.

They put the kayaks on sale twice a year at 50% off. I used to buy hunting equipment like decoys and calls after the season had ended for the same 50% discount. There is never a reason to buy anything at full price because they eventually put it on sale.

In general...if you golf than you may like Dick's because that section is large. It's mostly over priced clothing.

jimofaz
02-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Agree that Dicks Sporting Goods is generally overpriced and leans more to the upscale yuppie crowd, kind of like REI is now. I watch for sale in the fliers that come with my newspaper (yep ... I'm one of those dinosoars that still read the daily news on paper. :-)) Bought a good fire-resistant gun safe on sale there for my kid several years ago. Otherwise, I have little use for Dicks Sporting Goods. Jim

Kraschenbirn
02-03-2016, 08:33 PM
DICKS sells firearms or related products?

Not in my neck of the woods here in Il or In.

Yup!! Champaign (IL) Dick's has always carried rifles and shotgun and the new Field & Stream store carries rifles, shotguns, AND handguns along with ammo and a (very) limited stock of reloading equipment/supplies. All generally overpriced (think Varget @ $38/lb + tax) with essentially NO in-store product knowledge or support.

Bill

Rustyleee
02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
They are a total waste of a retail space in my opinion.

Plate plinker
02-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I guess the upside to the overpriced retail outlets and high powder prices is in an emergency they will have some.

Elkins45
02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Around here Dick's is a good place to buy a tree stand or fishing stuff, maybe a pair of boots or perhaps an orange hat. I also bought some backpacking stuff at one 10 or so years ago.

I bought my 45-70 Handi Rifle at the Dicks near my school when it was on sale. I'm pretty sure that was my only gun related purchase. I wish they sold reloading stuff.

funnyjim014
02-03-2016, 10:42 PM
We have 3 dicks sporting here for 20+ years... when i was younger itwas it was not as bad. They have transformed into a super store wanabe. Around here in NY the firearm selection is very poor. Alot of the "dick exclusive " deals are junk created to meet the price set by dicks. If you follow the prices you can get a deal on some things. I havent
Bought anything since Xmass of 08. I hit the black friday sale before i went to work. They had a ammo coupon for by one getone half off....ie 25%off a box. I bought 500 rounds of 45acp. When i got to work the price of the ammo and other items dident add up. The night before the price jumped from 9.99 to 14.99 a box and no one changed to price or the fact the add in the paper said 9.99. Then thew said i could not return the ammo and had to get the store manager to return it tome a sell it back at the advertised price.

starmac
02-03-2016, 10:55 PM
After the way they treated people in the shooting sports after Sandy Hook, I have never been interested in anything they had, even if it was 90% off. I just can't see supporting any business that is 100% against our rights.

Rick Hodges
02-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Dicks will put hunting clothing and tree stands on sale at 50% off after the season ends. Good prices on tree stands...at half off some of the camo is a decent deal. They are way overpriced normally.

Field and Stream carries black rifles, and some reloading equipment. (Mostly dies, presses, ammo boxes etc.) I was only in one once and don't remember seeing powder, primer, cases, or bullets.

crowbuster
02-04-2016, 12:12 AM
after the way they treated people in the shooting sports after sandy hook, i have never been interested in anything they had, even if it was 90% off. I just can't see supporting any business that is 100% against our rights. amen !!!!!!!!!

lefty o
02-04-2016, 12:47 AM
dicks gets two thumbs down. ill never go in another!

dale2242
02-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks for your comments.
I am not all that excited about it.
I am a hunting/reloading/fishing kind of guy.
Not into golf, kayaking, etc.....dale

Boyscout
02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I bought my Handi-Rifle 44 Rem Mag there, a set of Nikon binos, and several items of clothing. I have worn both Field & Stream and Medalist silver treated base layers from there and have generally been pretty happy. I have trouble with all box stores because they usually don't have the stuff I want once I come up with the CASH to buy it. Dick's is ok for "target of opportunity" buys.

I also bought a rain suit at Dunhams 2 years back. I should have just shredded my money. I replaced it in less than a year with a Cabela's MTX Gore-tex close out. I am a big fan of Cabela's clothing. It fits well and wears like iron. I am not a yuppie hunter and I don't mind buying last year's hottest camo pattern at a discount.

fast ronnie
02-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Been in there twice looking for something. I wouldn't drive ONE block to go there again. Of course if your child wants to play soccer and you have WAY more money than you need, then have at it.

woody1
02-04-2016, 01:03 PM

Would that be Medford? Regards, Woody

OptimusPanda
02-04-2016, 01:24 PM
While I wouldn't give them my money normally. I would for an item on severe discount or clearance where they were making nothing or taking a loss. Shot with a guy at the range last year that got an awesome deal on a savage 111 in 7 rem mag for like $200.

smokeywolf
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Dick's in SoCal sell no gun or archery related products. That would be politically incorrect. OH MY! Store's only good for athletic socks & shoes and soccer mom fashions; maybe a backpack or sleeping bag on the rare occasions that they run a sale.

mold maker
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Except for the 30-40 and 303 (@ 3.35/20) ammo I got on close out, I don't remember ever going in Dicks.
Over priced under staffed, and dumb.,

jules
02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
They Suck!

375supermag
02-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Hi...

Years ago, when they opened their first store in the southcentral Pa area, they sold reloading supplies.
That didn't last very long.
I did get a good price on a Leopold Vari-x scope there some years ago...out of stock, but on sale. The manager had one sent in from another store and mounted it on my rifle. Because I had to wait one day for the scope, he gave me a decent discount on the rings.

I still occasionally buy shotgun shells and clay birds there when they have a sale.

Like Gander Mtn, their firearms are horribly over-priced.

Finster101
02-04-2016, 06:32 PM
An aptly named store. I don't even bother going in to one.

runfiverun
02-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Dicks sucks.

ak_milsurp
02-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Dick's....in a word. "SUCKS". LOL

Elkins45
02-04-2016, 07:50 PM
After the way they treated people in the shooting sports after Sandy Hook, I have never been interested in anything they had, even if it was 90% off. I just can't see supporting any business that is 100% against our rights.

I don't want to turn this into another one of those kinds of rants, but a company that still sells guns (in spite of what I'm sure is significant pressure not to) is hardly 100% against our rights. They are more pro-gun than the ironically named Target, just to give one example.

daniel lawecki
02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Dicks in Toledo has no handguns a city law so I don't go there period.

Finster101
02-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I don't want to turn this into another one of those kinds of rants, but a company that still sells guns (in spite of what I'm sure is significant pressure not to) is hardly 100% against our rights. They are more pro-gun than the ironically named Target, just to give one example.

I don't go to Target either. They present themselves as having better quality stuff but to me Target is just a snooty Walmart.

imashooter2
02-04-2016, 08:28 PM

If a company doesn't want to sell guns, that's OK with me. What isn't OK with me is canceling orders for legal merchandise that people had paid deposits on en mass due to political pressure. If they had honored their obligations and then stopped further sales, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. But that isn't how it went down.

trapper9260
02-04-2016, 09:53 PM
There is one in Waterloo Iowa and that is south of me and a ways to go and I ask some people I know about them and they say the same thing that is being said on here .So I just stay away from them.I go to Cabels or Scheels.I get treated better at Scheels and the people there know there stuff better then cabels.

Handloader109
02-04-2016, 10:47 PM
No gun related products in NW Arkansas either. Nice socks, never bought anything from them

dale2242
02-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Yes woody1, Medford....dale

Nose Dive
02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Mmm... I didn't know DICK's stopped selling ARs. Don't like that. Same as WALMART stopping their sales of pistols.

I have, in the past, shopped at Dick's. But, sorry...selective enforcement of OBAMA PROSCRIPTIONS via a 'diluted free enterprise' premise is
NOT WHERE I SHOP.

That being said, I do buy food and oil at WALMART.

Here, in North San Antonio, the Dick's store is bordered by BASS PRO. Makes it kinda handy to switch.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good, Kinldy pick two.

woody1
02-07-2016, 03:17 PM
One of the marts where I shop recently STARTED selling handguns. I don't know if they all do, however. Local only to the northwest I think - BiMart.
Regards, Woody

noisewaterphd
02-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I have within 30-40mins of me:

Sportsmans,
Cabelas,
Scheels,
Dicks,

and numerous local shops.

Dicks is pretty much always the most expensive price, with the dumbest help. I've pretty much stopped going there.

This sounds like a definite theme from what I've read of other's experiences so far.

Hogdaddy
02-07-2016, 05:23 PM
The only good thing about dicks is there're right next to gander mountain here & keep them competing
on prices, as already said both too high ; )
H/D

Geezer in NH
02-09-2016, 06:46 PM
20 minutes more driving for me and I can shop Bass Pro in Manchester NH and then stop at 2 big LGS.

Stewbaby
02-09-2016, 07:07 PM

Ditto

jonp
02-10-2016, 06:04 AM

That's a low bar to clear