PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Brass

madcaster
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Do you run brass through the resizing die and remove the dead primer firstor not?
Why or why not?
Thanks,
Jeff[smilie=1:

454PB
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM
If you do it that way, be sure to clear each and every flash hole. If you tumble with the primers in place, then size, you don't have to worry about a blocked flash hole.

I've done it both ways, but favor the "resize after tumbling" method. It saves a step in the process.

JSnover
04-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I've done it both ways, but favor the "resize after tumbling" method. It saves a step in the process.

You betcha! Resize 'em afterwards and you'll never have to worry about it.

Reloader06
04-26-2008, 02:51 PM
+1, unless you've added moisture. Then you have to CAREFULLY check the inside of each case for stuck media. PITA.

Matt

DLCTEX
04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
If you have range pickup or particularly dirty brass you may want to tumble it first to save wear on your dies. The corncob I use is ground fine enough I have no problem with media in the flash holes, but have a blower from my air compressor and give them a blast of air a handfull at a time, then hold them up to see light through the holes to spot any problems. I tumble lubed cases after sizing to remove lube, which in the case of dirty cases is the second tumbling. Dale

carpetman
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I tumble to remove sizing lube so it is done with primer removed.

HeavyMetal
04-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I've always tumbled then sized.

This way I'm putting clean case's into my dies. With carbide pistol dies this isn't an issue but with steel rifle dies It can be and in a hurry to! Once a steel die is scratched it's done!

As far as media in the case is concerned? I've had that happen and realized it's nothing to worry about. Why you ask? Because any amount of media that will cause problems will cause an unholy amount of crunching noise when you resize! In some case's ( pun intended) you won't even get your case half way into the die before the issue makes itself known!

This does not mean I suggest loading any case with out some attention being paid to junk in the case!

If I load on a progressive I don't worry about primer pockets. If I 'm single loading I do.

Primer pocket prep is really a complete thread on it's own. I'm not going to go there in this post.

billyb
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
one more vote for both

Razor
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
tumble
Then resize and deprime

Why ?
Don't want to scratch my dies with dirty brass.

Razor

HeavyMetal
04-26-2008, 03:43 PM
something I should have posted earlier. Lee makes a die that deprimes only. A "universal" depriming die.

With this someone could deprime without cleaning then tumble the cases and resize.

I'm just not sure what the gain is? I have never seen a primer pocket cleaned in a tumbler! I tried it when I got my first tumbler found out it didn't work and just started tumbling then sizing!

The media just doesn't have a way in or out of the pocket area and, without movement, theres no cleaning action.

Unless somebodies got something new??

EDK
04-26-2008, 04:17 PM
A lot of the black powder cartridge rifle shooters tumble their de-primed casings in ceramic media...which will also clean the primer pockets. Unfortunately, the stuff tends to stick in the casings. I rinse after tumbling to get the ceramic out of the casing and primer pocket; you don't lose the ceramic that way either.

If you have some really nasty looking brass...range pick up?...the ceramic will make it look like new. The ceramic is a little pricey, but will last forever. You won't use it much for most cleaning, but it's definitely the way to go when you have some heavy duty brass cleaning to be done.

For normal brass (and smokeless powder) use the corn cob media and then de-prime as part of the reloading cycle. I don't think cleaning primer pockets every time you reload pistol brass is a necessity.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Firebird
04-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I use Lyman's "Universal" de-priming die to pop out the old primer, then I tumble the cases so they are clean before I size them. The de-capping rod in the sizer die makes sure that the vent is clear of any media. And no, the primer pocket isn't clean and shiny like the outside case walls after tumbling in walnut and then corn cob with polish, but any loose gunk is removed from the primer pocket and the inside of the case.

dragonrider
04-26-2008, 05:53 PM
No, I tumble first, then the flashole will not be clogged with media.

Boerrancher
04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I have done it many different ways: sized and de-primed, de-primed, and unsized with spent primer left in. I prefer to tumble them in the latter form, for the above stated reasons found in this thread. That being said, the best advice is find what way works for you, and you like the best. I have, though not recommended, even tumbled live rounds. I just made sure that I did it in a safe and secure place away from all people and pets where I could shut it down with out actually going in to the shop building.

Best Wishes,

CPT T.

bruce drake
04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Tumble and the deprime. Eliminates the walnut or corncob from blocking the primer holes. I don't tumble again after resizing. I usually just spritz the case with windex to clean the lube off with a rag. But then, most of my reloading is for highpower matches, so my reloading procedure is almost OCD to eliminate variables. Handrubbing each case to clean lube off is one of those habits.

Bruce
(CPT D to my troops as well)

Bigjohn
04-27-2008, 03:26 AM
I always deprime before I resize these days; it adds an inspection for dud cases before using the press and resizing.

As for tumbling the cases; they are done either before or after I deprime but always before resizing. I use the LEE Universal Decapping Die to knock out the spent primer, then clean the primer pocket.

I use a rag to remove case lube or if that is not successful, then the cases go another round in the tumbler.
Most who have answered your query here say that they perfer clean cases when resizing; dirty, girty cases can scartch any resizing die on the market and ruin it so it is common sense to protect your investment and feed it only clean cases.

These methods work for me just as good as everyone elses methods work for them. Try some and see what suits you.

John.

Alchemist
04-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I tumble everything first to keep dies from getting scratched. Then i use a media seperator which gets all the media out except for grains stuck in the flash hole.

Pistol cases are then loaded since I use all carbide dies for pistol calibers.

Rifle cases get resized, then tumbled again to remove lube. I do have to go over each case to check flash holes for media, but it doesn't take that long. I use a primer pocket cleaner on the cases that look pretty grungy, then prceed to trimming, etc.....

Time for :coffee:

Alchemist

NSP64
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
I tumble everything first to keep dies from getting scratched. Then i use a media seperator which gets all the media out except for grains stuck in the flash hole.

Pistol cases are then loaded since I use all carbide dies for pistol calibers.

Rifle cases get resized, then tumbled again to remove lube. I do have to go over each case to check flash holes for media, but it doesn't take that long. I use a primer pocket cleaner on the cases that look pretty grungy, then prceed to trimming, etc.....

Time for :coffee:

Alchemist

Ditto!

mike in co
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
the big clue has been given.

you can do either,,,,but de-priming...not sizing before tumbling.

dont ruin your dies with dirty brass.

use fine corn cob and you will not have cob in your hole....lol.

mike in co

Marshal Kane
04-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I always start by decapping and cleaning the primer pockets. Tumble and check for media in the flash holes. Size, then tumble again maybe only for 30 minutes or so to remove the case lube. I used to tumble with the primers intact but I hated to have bits of media falling on my press and onto the floor when I decap and FL size.

Gussy
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I decap with a depriming die and then polish. Black powder cases in ceramic and smokeless in walnut with polishing media. Only clean, new looking cases ever go in the dies.

Try the ceramic!! You need a wet tumbler but the results are really great. I plan on getting the smaller ceramic to use for the smaller cases and bottle necked cases. It looks like it will last forever too.

You do have to check for stuck ceramic but it is not common after it's broken in a bit and it's a good time to inspect each case.

AZ-Stew
04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Hmmm...

What am I doing right (wrong)? 35 years of handloading without tumbling cases first and I've never scratched a die. No undue wear, either, as I'm still using the same dies I started with for some calibers (others added as new guns were bought).

I don't throw my brass in the dirt since I'm mainly a bolt action and revolver shooter. If a piece of brass hits the ground, I immediately wipe it off with a rag before putting it back in the box. All ammo is kept in plastic boxes except when it's being fired, so it never gets "gritty".

I'm reasonably sure that powder residue is much softer than the reloading dies, so merely sizing cases with powder residue on them isn't going to hurt anything, even over years of use.

I usually tumble my cases after 2-3 firings, after they've been sized and deprimed and after I've used a solvent to remove the case lube which may have picked up some dirt along the line. One thing I WON'T do is size cases that are covered with polish from the tumbling process. That stuff IS abrasive and will wear dies.

My $0.02 worth. It's interesting to read everyone's take on this issue.

Regards,

Stew

leftiye
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I Haven't tumbled anything for 20 years. Then it was Mil. 223 from a range, it had been kept in a can and had gotten some corrosion. On the other hand all of my brass is corrosion free, with minimum discoloration, and I'll wipe any that looks bad with kerosene or light oil, or steel wool it if necessary.