PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Gentlemen

claude
02-02-2016, 05:20 PM
I have spent a good deal of time reading about casting for the last couple of years, trying to soak in what to do, and what not to do. Today I found out what it was like to get "in the groove", while it was only my third session, I applied everything I could visualize from the pages of Cast Boolits, and in no time I was running three double cavity molds under a lee 20lb pot, and getting pretty good boolits. The reason for cadence became clear and mold temperature became clear, and the thrill of those boolits raining out of the molds was exhilarating indeed.

Thanks all for your advice and tutoring.

claude

Walter Laich
02-02-2016, 05:41 PM
I think all of us, no matter how long we have been casting, have learned a thing or two every once in awhile.

Proud to say I haven't made all the mistakes possible; have learned from others.

gwpercle
02-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Congratulations Claude....you are now officially A Caster. Welcome to the addiction.
Nothing like being the master of your own bullet supply, creator of shiney orbs of destruction...
Never mind me , I get carried away sometimes.
If you can, let's see some photo's of your latest creations.

Let me add this, just about the time you think, hey I got this all figured out, nothing to it ! The bottom falls out. Every boolit is wrinkeled or flawed ???? Casting boolits is a like like keeping a woman happy....You going to hit a rough spot now and again, but just keep on keepin on , reading and learning .
Gary

Seeker
02-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I also, have read post after post here on castboolits before I started. A big THANKS to everyone from me too. Last weekend I was casting some 200 gr. .452 swcs and got "in the groove" I kept telling myself "one more pour,one more pour" and before I knew it I had 500+ of some of the prettiest boolits you could ask for. I had been struggling a little with this new 6 cavity (all my other molds are 2 cavity) while ladle pouring with the small Lee Ladle. I got the timing right and the boolits piled up. Everyone stumbles once in awhile, but someone here at castboolits always has an answer. There are no dumb questions, so don't be afraid to ask. It's a "WE THING". G.

runfiverun
02-02-2016, 06:37 PM
I been doing this a long time and still can't run more than one mold at a time.
I end up with one too cold then get it back then the other is too cold.
bahh.
I get bored watching and counting one mold, but I turn out better boolits that way.
maybe I need to get out the lube making hot plate.

RED333
02-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Claude you have just entered the rabbit hole, welcome, come on in, take your coat off, sit a spell.

Cherokee
02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Congratulations...it will come together with practice.

44man
02-03-2016, 09:23 AM
I been doing this a long time and still can't run more than one mold at a time.
I end up with one too cold then get it back then the other is too cold.
bahh.
I get bored watching and counting one mold, but I turn out better boolits that way.
maybe I need to get out the lube making hot plate.
Put your shoes back on friend so you don't count! :kidding: Not to be with more then one mold, I have run 3 at a time, Lyman, RCBS and one of mine and usually run two, all two cavity molds.
let the first sprues just set and put the mold on WOOD, cast the second and just let the sprues set, put on the wood and go back to the first. Use hardwood, not pine.
Soon things flow. I pre heat and after one is going good, I have had the second heating so you will have more of one boolit but it does work. 3 takes more time to start unless you have more then one hot plate.
Yes friends look at me cockeyed when I do it and can't do it, they get fumble fingered! Few can actually get one mold going, their hands are connected together or something! Most tip to the ladle and tip again to make a puddle to spill it off. One friend will have more lead on the bench and garage floor then is in the pot. :bigsmyl2:

nagantguy
02-03-2016, 10:44 AM
It's casting ZEN, I also had trouble with my first 6 cav, heat and cadence, heat and cadence. Welcome friend. This board took my casting from the dark ages to modern times then beyond with powder coating and nose sizing and leementing and on and on! Thanks y'all!

44man
02-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I ladle pour and hate spill and fill. I am 100% sure I could not use a 6 cavity mold. Even though I could get 3 two cavity molds working I know the 6 would fail for me. The time to the last cavity will be longer then to my third mold. Heat would not be even.
Nothing on earth will turn me away from a good ladle.

robg
02-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Its a slippery slope 1 mould becomes 2 then they start to breed ��

Smoke4320
02-03-2016, 04:18 PM
two years ago I had 2 molds (had them for probably 25+ years) found this site Now I have 30+ molds and growing ..
welcome to the addiction
when you get that ZEN moment you don't want to stop

44man
02-04-2016, 09:44 AM
True, I open my drawer and there are so many I can't find what I need. I must have made 50 of my own to add to the rest.
It has been an adventure for sure.