PDA

View Full Version : The enjoyable day at the range, Or the nice people I meet at the range

country gent
02-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Okay My Friends here at cast bullets let try something diffrent and brighten a few days maybe. We see alot of posts here in our Town of nasty shooter dangerous people mean people ect ect ect posted some what regularly and its always slightly disconcerning to alot. So now a post about the friendly helpfull and interesting people youve met. SOmething on a more positive note that isnt thought to post about. Last Sunday I went to my local club to test ammo was meeting up with 2 friends also. Got there and 3 newer members were set up. I got out of truck and folded open the walker went around back and slid the rifle case thru the legs on the cross bars Grabbed the "anything " bag and claimed a spot on the line. As I was heading back for cross sticks and odds and ends. These 3 younger gentleman came down and asked if they could be of some help. They were polite friendly and courteous. Brought sticks rest of gear and range box ( I have a real issue moving it with the walker) We chatted and they asked if they could post a target for me. 200 yds is a long walk for me now. Told them I had friends coming and set up to do first. I got set up and the CPA 40-65 in the cradle of the line box. They came down ( by now my friends had arrived) asked if they could go down range and the wood on my rifle caught the ones eye He tapped his friends on the shoulder and told them Look at that sitting there. Three very nice gentleman from all appearences that were polite and helpfull.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes--it isn't all negative. A couple of trips back there was a father/son team shooting a couple of benches down the line from me. They had identical Rem. 30-06 rifles, apparently new, and after a couple of hours had shot up about 100 rounds sighting them in. They finished, cleaned up their area, and the father was headed for the brass barrel when he noticed that I was shooting an M1. He came over and said, "Would you like to have this?" and dropped all that nice, once fired brass on my bench! What a nice surprise! :D

WILCO
02-02-2016, 12:44 PM
I meet good folks all the time.

jcwit
02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. Most all I meet at the range are good folks, in fact in the last number of years I can not remember a negitive one.

runfiverun
02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't really know anybody in town here if it weren't for the range.
it's my only socializing.

leadman
02-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I too have met some very nice and interesting people at the range. One gentleman was a retired Army Colonel that had worked in ordanance
and was also stationed at Aberdeen for some time. After chatting for awhile he asked if I read magazines as he had a bunch to give away. He gave me Handloader, Rifle, Precision Rifle, and American Rifleman dating back into the 40s. While at his place he showed me his machinery and many experimental cartridges he had worked with over the years.
He was in his mid 80s' then and it was about a dozen years ago so chances are he had passed on by now.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-02-2016, 01:30 PM
My wife and I met some nice folks at the range yesterday. And everybody I have met there has been polite and cordial. I mentioned to my MBH (much better half) about how friendly they were on the way out.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

fg-machine
02-02-2016, 01:34 PM
i met my girlfriend of 7 years at a public shoot one of the local clubs puts on .

StolzerandSons
02-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Only the best people I know shoot at my range...of course I only shoot at my private range behind my shop.

robg
02-02-2016, 02:54 PM
My local range has a great bunch of members .seem to spend as much time chatting as shooting.

Artful
02-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Yep, gone out to the desert and have met some good people - Some are quite the regulars.

armexman
02-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Artful,
Where in the desert? jesting
Will be going, AGAIN, to Arizona; this time with my daughter and SIL.
Hopefully they will help me persuade my wife to seriously think about moving to AZ, at least in winter. She is retiring in May and I will follow her next June(2017).
All I want is to go shooting in shorts and light jacket during winter; is that asking too much?!?

I have a good story about a range session;
took a friend to my club and in return have received over 10 years of good friendship and a trade that had me finally shooting the heck out of a 45 Colt.