PDA

View Full Version : Always wear your Personal Protective Equipment

DxieLandMan
02-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Well folks, I decided to spend my birthday (44) casting some .41 and .45 boolets. Well, as I was melting the lead, 4lbs of lead shifted on my table, made it offset and then spilled the lead on me and my garage floor. I always take precautions when making boolets but just wanted to remind people to ALWAYS take precautions when working with molted lead. After getting lead on my shoes, pants, gloves, shirt and garage floor, the only thing that was sacrificed is a shoelace. Be safe people.

dondiego
02-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Glad you weren't hurt. Another good reason to keep kids and pets out of the area too.

w5pv
02-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Glad you wasn't seriously injured,safty is always first.

MrWolf
02-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Totally agree. I tend to go a bit overboard with safety, i.e. full face visor, respirator, long clothes, etc. but it is my life so who cares what others think. I also wear work boots vs sneakers.

mdi
02-01-2016, 12:45 PM
BTDT, I did the "Tinsel Fairy Trot" once to avoid molten lead on my feet/shoes [smilie=w: . Some may chide you for using an unstable "bench", but experience is the best teacher. Good thing there was no injury to you/your feet; burns really hurt!:mrgreen:

Victor N TN
02-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Shoes and jeans can be replaced. You know what caused it, keep that in mind. You'll get it worked out eventually. Just be safe.

Smoke4320
02-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks for posting the write up and the pics .. Its times and posts like these that should be a constant reminder to be careful and wear your PPE
It only takes a second to be badly burned and have huge hospital bills

wddodge
02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Thank God you weren't burnt!! Posts such as this are reminders to the rest of us that accident do happen when they are least expected.

Could you post a pic or explain what kind of table you were set up on. 4lbs of lead shifting shouldn't have been enough to tip a table over. This could be another learning experience.

Again, I'm really glad that you didn't get hurt.

Denny

RogerDat
02-01-2016, 09:23 PM
One of the things that makes this forum a great place to learn is people such as the OP that are willing to share mistakes and accidents in order to encourage, remind and inform others of what can go wrong and how to stay safe by using themselves as an example.

Big Boomer
02-01-2016, 09:37 PM
My wife is fond of asking me in an embarrassing moment, "Now, did you learn anything from this?" But I'll forbear. Big Boomer

Shiloh
02-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Usually were gloves, long sleeve shirt and goggles. If I skimp, it is never the goggles.

Shiloh

Leadmelter
02-02-2016, 09:54 PM
I bought a leather farrier's apron that covers my lap to my feet.
Leadmelter
MI

Geezer in NH
02-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Will a condom help? :kidding: