PDA

View Full Version : Sizing after casting

AABEN
01-31-2016, 08:46 PM
When I cast I drop then in a bucket of water them after they are dried I lube and run them in sizer. DOES any one else do this

JSnover
01-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Lots of people. Some guys wait a while with some alloys because the hardness can change. This is worth reading, especially "Heat Treating and Water Quenching" http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_3_alloySelectionMetallurgy.ht m

rsrocket1
02-01-2016, 01:33 AM
I do it all the time. Not because I want them harder, but because with a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and a 6 cavity mold, I have a tough time dropping them onto a towel to prevent them banging into each other, then shoving them over for the next batch. Dropping them into a towel lined bucket of water is much easier. I powder coat so any hardness gained by water quenching is probably lost in the baking process.

georgerkahn
02-01-2016, 09:41 AM
I tried this but once, and, well, didn't get the instant gratification from dropping bullets onto a (dry) towel. Many casters -- no doubt including you -- get a very, very high percentage of "keepers". Me? I generally drop about 600 bullets in a good casting session, but sadly for me, only about 400 +/- a few are not put in the re-melt can! I reckon, if I dropped into water as you do, I'd have ~200 wet bullets to return to pot - for which I'd have to wait, and wait, for them to dry. For a good part of my casting, too, I add the step of installing gas checks, as well. This -- the gc install -- is an integral part of my quality control.
That dropping in water works for you -- I'm impressed. I've read Fryxell and others re the many advantages of water quenching as you do. Perhaps when hibernation in this latitude ends and I can resume casting -- I'll again try it. You did not indicate what you're casting: e.g., pistol vs rifle bullets?
geo

waksupi
02-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Lots of us do that.
I got ahead of myself a couple weeks ago doing it, though. I cast a batch of bullets for my 6.5 Swede and water quenched them. I loaded some up, and they didn't shoot worth a darn. Then I remembered my Swede likes soft bullets, so I had to put them in the toaster oven and anneal them. Shot fine after that.

Budzilla 19
02-01-2016, 02:29 PM
I water drop them all. Rifle boolits especially. Just another habit. Now starting to PC so I guess it doesn't make a difference now. I'm still learning.