PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight for self defense

Tatume
01-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Hello Folks,

Where I work the morons in charge have outlawed almost all means of self defense. I'm responsible for about 20-30 young people at a time, and have no way to protect them if another Cho comes on campus and starts killing students. Weapons of almost all types are completely forbidden.

My question, while off topic for this forum (I apologize), is nevertheless within the spirit. How effective can a powerful flashlight be at momentarily disabling an assailant? Would 700-800 lumens be enough, in the daytime, to disorient him long enough for my students and I to disarm him?

All solid information and thoughtful opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Moderators, if this is too far outside the guidelines, please delete.

Thank you.

Tom

Vann
01-31-2016, 05:26 PM
A 6 "D" Maglite will top a Stream light for self defense any day. Only if you use it as a club, that is.

AnthonyB
01-31-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't know if my four cell Maglite would be bright enough to disorient an attacker. I do believe that when applied to the skull with enough force it will solve any immediate problem. I started carrying the flashlight after a recent random knife attack on the D.C. Metro, and no one has questioned it. I have even carried it into the Pentagon with no questions.
Tony

Big Dangle
01-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Well I keep a big Maglight in my truck for a possible weapon. But if a bad guy bused in to do bad things and you did hit him with the light beam it would come totally unexpected and could give you those seconds to possible disarm him, possibility. Also they will then be focused on the light so while he's focused on you the students COULD over power him. The tac light we used on raids took 4 3v batteries and bad dudes would just hit the ground and had to be "assisted" outside the house.
But this is definitely one of those "what if" all day with 1,000 possible ways and outcomes.

Yodogsandman
01-31-2016, 05:59 PM
If not subject to "search and seizure", I would carry well concealed. I could live with that. Let your conscience be your guide. The flashlight's a good diversion idea. Work out a plan before hand for different scenarios.

PerpetualStudent
01-31-2016, 05:59 PM
I'll pile on to the Maglite suggestion as well. As a baton not a disorientation tool. A nice thing about these sturdy flashlights is if you hold with your pinky facing the target, and the light at eye level you have the baton "loaded" (the business end above your shoulder) but you don't look threatening.

If you want some training with the baton see if there is a Filipino Martial Arts school around you (called Escrima, Eskrima, Arnis and a few other names), they specialize in stick fighting. It also carries over to sword or knife fighting if that appeals to you.

Artful
01-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Hello Folks,

Where I work the morons in charge have outlawed almost all means of self defense. I'm responsible for about 20-30 young people at a time, and have no way to protect them if another Cho comes on campus and starts killing students. Weapons of almost all types are completely forbidden.

My question, while off topic for this forum (I apologize), is nevertheless within the spirit. How effective can a powerful flashlight be at momentarily disabling an assailant? Would 700-800 lumens be enough, in the daytime, to disorient him long enough for my students and I to disarm him?

All solid information and thoughtful opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Moderators, if this is too far outside the guidelines, please delete.

Thank you.

Tom

Ok, when you say Weapons of almost all types are completely forbidden.
what does this mean?Are you looking for something Tactical with a strobe function?Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcbFlTrj4c
one with a stun zapper function?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pm_q5-RlgU

As far a flashlight, yes powerful flash lights can give you an edge but they are no substitute for a better weapon.

Can you carry a cane?

Can you carry a knife?

Can you carry a rolled up newspaper?

Kubotan?

Pepper Spray?

Spray bottle of Ammonia to clean your windows because you have become OCD?

Walkingwolf
01-31-2016, 06:30 PM
2000 lumen or above would blind an attacker, but may also damage the retina. There are flashlights above 4000 lumen that can start a fire if aimed at flammables, which most likely would cause permanent damage, and they are expensive.

For reference IIRC the Klarus XT11 is just over 1000 lumens.

w5pv
01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Just for around the home flashlite,I have a 650 lumen Jobsmart from Tractor supply.It is heavy enought to use as a club and the warnings say not look at the beam as it will cause harm to the eyes.It will shine for 1/4 mile and is bright enough to read the road signs with.I beleive that you could tempory blind some one with it if they were close enough.

bruce drake
01-31-2016, 07:03 PM
While I was substitute teaching last year, I also had a 6-cell Maglite flashlight in my brief case for the obvious reasoning that it makes for a damn good whalloper if needed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-31-2016, 07:18 PM
A couple years ago, I bought one of Wilgen's "Big Lights".
third one listed in this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276242-Wiljen-Lights-2015-buy&highlight=
It puts out 1500 to 2000 lumens on High.
and if you put it on "Strobe" mode, it'll surely disorient a attacker...might even induce a seizure.

Rick Hodges
01-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Listen to how ludicrous this discussion is....fighting off a firearm armed assailant with a flashlight beam. Last resort, last ditch it might help. Personally I would rather pick up a desk or chair if it came to that. It might give you or someone else a chance to close and do some damage.....but it is undoubtedly better than huddling in the corner while being shot.

Walkingwolf
01-31-2016, 07:30 PM
Listen to how ludicrous this discussion is....fighting off a firearm armed assailant with a flashlight beam. Last resort, last ditch it might help. Personally I would rather pick up a desk or chair if it came to that. It might give you or someone else a chance to close and do some damage.....but it is undoubtedly better than huddling in the corner while being shot.Desk or chairs are useless against bullets, OTH a blind person without training can't hit the broad side of a barn.

sandman228
01-31-2016, 07:34 PM
mag light is a popular biker weapon lol ,raises no suspicions and makes 1 hell of a club

Artful
01-31-2016, 07:47 PM
I still miss my old multicell Maglite - When my Aunt was alive over in L.A. I would have to check the laws before I went to visit - two cell only flashlights, no baseball bats, etc etc etc.
I miss my Aunt but not having to check what new laws had gone into effect since my last visit before I hit the road to L.A.

Digital Dan
01-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Once worked at a place where weapons were not allowed. 'Twas a rule that was bent profoundly. By everyone save management.

popper
01-31-2016, 08:02 PM
This will melt the paint off the wall @ 100 yds.
http://luminatortechnologygroup.com/brands/luminator-aerospace/products-search-lights/ls-16

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-31-2016, 08:06 PM
What Vann said. 50,000 Police Departments can't be wrong...

tazman
01-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Mag lights would be fine as an emergency weapon of last resort right up until it actually get used once. Then management will realize what it is for and bar it just like everything else.
About 15 years ago one of the local police departments in a college town near here was barred from carrying mag lights because too many heads were getting broken by them.
I always considered a mag light an excellent accessory when walking around outside my house at night. Carry it turned off then suddenly blind the bad guy. Gives you a couple of seconds to run, get close to him, or shoot him as needed. I usually had the light in my left hand and something more serious in my right.

runfiverun
01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
those flashing strobe type lights are very effective.
that and a can of wasp spray could be very effective at 15-20 feet.
the shooter would probably fire blindly, but that's much better than aimed shots any day.

alleyoop
01-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Can you carry a cane? Yes it is an ADA approved medical device and you can even carry it on the plane. A little martial arts training and a cane can be very effective.

smorin2
01-31-2016, 09:08 PM
Hello Folks,

Thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom,I too work in a similar environment and I discreetly disobey the rules,while I do not carry a gun,there are alternatives. I hope you find something that works for you too.

hickfu
02-01-2016, 12:48 AM
I will second the can of wasp spray... better then mase and shoots much further. Someone that gets wasp spray in their eyes have to go to a Dr to get treatment, washing out doesnt help. Have a 6 cell maglight to back it up.

Digital Dan
02-01-2016, 01:38 AM

sdcitizen
02-01-2016, 02:27 AM
Once in a while when the five year old 'needs' a flashlight to find something, he uses my 700 lumen edc light. Having had that shone in my direction from across the room, I can confidently say I would have a lot of trouble shooting accurately with that amount of light pointing at me while indoors.

02-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Hello Folks,

Thank you.

Tom

I doubt that's enough light. I just installed an 850 lumen floodlight on my shed. It's enough light for nighttime but I wouldn't call it blinding and certainly not incapacitating. Daytime, I'd think I'd barely notice it. As others said a daytime flashlight is probably best used as a club.

Don Fischer
02-01-2016, 05:49 AM
Using a flashlight for the light, wouldn't that only be effective if shined in the eyes at night? I have a very bright light a nephew gave me. Say's Duracell on it, made of heavy aluminum and use's 4 C cell battery's. I think if you got the light in the eye's a night it would certainly slow you down. But it is fairly heavy and large and won't carry well in a pocket. A cane in daylight would seem better than a flashlight, more mobile for carrying and I'd think better for standing off a bit. Good hardwood or bamboo. But if your really concerned about you or your kids being attacked, I'd either find a different job or carry a light weight, small concealed carry gun. If for some reason you actually were in a defense mode with your kids and there's multiple attacker's, flashlight might bust a head if you get in a shot but if the attacker is bigger and stronger, you might get your own head bashed. Sad the school won't allow you to carry something small and indiscreet! In Europe I had a very small Beretta 22RF. Had a magazine and the barrel poped up for loading right into the barrel. I could carry it in a pocket and no one could tell it was there. If your really concerned about an attack, go to win or stay home!

Hdskip
02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Consider a can of wasp and hornet spray. It's innocent enough but sprays at least 12 feet and is as effective as pepper spray in the eyes and face. I teach in a vocational school and keep on on my desk. It fits right in with the other debris on my desk. It has never been questioned by the administration.

Rick Hodges
02-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Desk or chairs are useless against bullets, OTH a blind person without training can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Exactly, and so is a beam of light...useless...both are at best a distraction. At least the flying school chair will force him to move out of the way. You still have to escape or close and disarm the subject. You don't need much training to fire at a light source...especially if it is close. All I have had experience with is 50,000 cp Streamlights and during the daylight across the room they are irritating at best....not blinding.
The first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun!

Vann
02-01-2016, 11:02 AM
All jokes aside, a flashlight even used as a club is useless in the daytime. Unless you are 3 feet away or less most hand held weapons are useless against an active shooter. About the only thing you would or could have going for you would be a surprise attack. So yes wasp spray, pepper spray, or even a really big heavy broom handle would be much better than a flashlight. I think that I would prefer a police grade Tazer, but that most likely wouldn't be allowed.

DerekP Houston
02-01-2016, 11:37 AM
A 6 "D" Maglite will top a Stream light for self defense any day. Only if you use it as a club, that is.

That was going to be my suggestion. Blind him and then whack him with that heavy club. maglite were never that bright to me but you could always find it when you needed.

w5pv
02-01-2016, 11:56 AM
When I go walking,I use a walking stick that is about 5ft in length to use.You can ward off dogs and humans with it.For those that remember your punji stick training in the service you know how to use the stick in a proper manner.It won't diplace bullets but will keep a person at distance.You punch with it and not swing it like a club.

Outpost75
02-01-2016, 12:13 PM
After the Cho shooting, deadbolt locks were installed in VA Tech classrooms to bolt the door after the bell rang.

If you were late to class, most professors would NOT let you in, peep hole or no peep hole.

One prof well known to me has a firm rule.

Once late, a warning.

Twice late, complete an extra assignment to pass the course.

Three times late, you have dropped the class.

I think a good rule and an INEXPENSIVE security measure!

Outpost75, formerly of Mike Company, VA Tech Corps of Cadets, graduating class of 1971.

Artful
02-01-2016, 03:59 PM
I guess my other thought is have you thought about a vest?

Scharfschuetze
02-01-2016, 04:03 PM
As an LEO I used both C and D cell flash lights numerous times (can't even estimate the numbers) to blind or disable a miscreant or other violence prone person. While department policy mandated the Koga Stick or later the side handle baton to strike with, you used what was immediately at hand in an emergency so the Kell or Streamlight sometimes got the nod.

Used properly, they'll drop a perp right now without any permanent damage to him. If deadly force is not needed and they are used improperly in a non life threatening situation, they can be construed as a deadly weapon and result in bad times in court for you.

Bottom line: If you are prohibited from carrying a firearm at school or place of employment like the OP, then a metal flashlight is a good option and is probably legal in almost all jurisdictions. If you do opt for one, learn to use it properly if you intend to strike with it and understand which blows will constitute deadly force or permanent damage and use those blows only in a life threatening situation.

I think that you'll find a flashlight is easier to carry around than a chair. :)

Walkingwolf
02-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Exactly, and so is a beam of light...useless...both are at best a distraction. At least the flying school chair will force him to move out of the way. You still have to escape or close and disarm the subject. You don't need much training to fire at a light source...especially if it is close. All I have had experience with is 50,000 cp Streamlights and during the daylight across the room they are irritating at best....not blinding.
The first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun!

I can almost bet that you would suffer permanent retina damage from a high output flashlight. That is what the OP is asking about, not a club, a blinding light. A blind man can only guess when shooting, unless they have been blind for years and use sound. Some flashlights are so strong they start fires, they will permanently damage a person's eye sight. That is why I suggested a 2000 lumen light, of course since he cannot carry a firearm or other dangerous weapons, might you be suggesting begging instead?

Wrap some duct tape around your eyes and then try to hit a silhouette.

Artful
02-01-2016, 10:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aF0Al60Xl0

country gent
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
a cane built for self defense with some training can be very effective and a big surprise to an assailant. Most have forgotten the uses for a cane besides helping you walk. I use a can for mobility reasons Its walnut cut into 3/4" square by 34" long pievece glued together to form the tapered octagon shaft. Finished shaft is 3/4" at tip and tapers up to 1 3/8 under handle its polished up and a hand rubbed oil finish. The handle is a 2 1/2" ball behind the boss the shaft tennon is glued into. This is a solid cane that dosnt flex or give. Jabbing poking or stapping would be quite effective. grasping the shaft half way or so and swinging using the Ball handle to impact should break bones. If weight ( or being able to fly with it dosnt matter then a few ounces of lead could be inserted into the handle also. I made mine for me to use to help with mobility issues first. But it looks good and dosnt stand out in a store or public setting. The only metal in mine is the washer in the rubber tip. After 8-10 years of use I need to sand it down and refinish it. A traditional wood for canes from Ireland is blackthorn. It is a very solid tightgrained heavy wood. Done traditionally the spurs are left on the shaft these are spikes roughly 2" long, but left on they are hard on upolstery and pants legs. Last time I check a piece suitable for a walking stick was almost $200.00 for the blank. rough cut to length only. The cane is a forgotten defense tool. a book corner, rolled magazine used to jab, a flag pole if a flag is displayed in the class room.

flounderman
02-01-2016, 11:34 PM
The wasp spray is supposed to be effective and has more range than pepper spray. Can't be called a weapon, just a can of bug spray.

RogerDat
02-02-2016, 12:44 AM
Did anyone else see the video of a clerk using bug spray and a lighter as a flame thrower on armed robbers? His only mistake was not letting them get a little closer so that they would have been set on fire. But they did go flying back tail over tea kettle. Also since it does not disable unless doing damage it was less than effective against two assailants. Eventually one of the perps had him covered by a gun while he was shooting a flame at the other.

hickfu
02-02-2016, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aF0Al60Xl0

Its good to see that this man didn't let a lack of sight make him disabled.

Artful
02-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Yes - I've posted a girl without arms, a young man without hands and now a blind man enjoying their god given right to own and use a firearm under the second amendment.

I'm curious what the OP has to say about any of the thoughts so far.

Tatume
02-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm still listening.

randyrat
02-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Wasp Jet Spray in the eyes, along with a powerful Streamlight on strobe will gain you a few moments. That Streamlight will get ya sick to the stomach in seconds. Disorients you real fast but you need to be close, with mine I think 10 ft.

Sucks that you have resort to that.

Side note, I wonder how it would work on bear or would it just make em hungry.

PerpetualStudent
02-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I know Tae Kwon Do teaches the cane as a weapon. One downside is that below a certain age you cannot carry a cane without arousing suspicion.

Umbrella is another option. I know they sell "self defense" umbrellas which, in hindsight, I would have wanted during my stint in the big city. The cost was a bit high but for a good and innocuous looking defense tool, I thought it was a solid idea. That could live next to your desk and would look completely natural.

Depending how far you wanted to bend the rules (and for that I offer no advice) you could also enhance the umbrella or cane. Or have a second (also innocuous) looking object near that would allow you to quickly make a weighted club or even something with an edge.

2 other thoughts and then I'll shut up.

1.We often mention in SD discussions that you can't be sure that if we shoot an aggressor that he'll stop. We sometimes forget that applies to you too. I have a family now and I can no longer say "As long as I take him out with me it's a win". If I had classroom full of 10 year olds to protect I might say that again. If you choose that route I recommend an edged weapon.

2.Consider a strobe as a distraction as well. Particularly if you lean towards a blunt weapon. I'm assuming here, but I think in general our attention is drawn to flashing lights. If a shooter sees flashing lights from the side and turns, that could open up the shot you need to put him down.

irishtoo
02-02-2016, 09:50 AM
good morning, a part time job i had required travel to other countries. i couldnt carry a firearm. so i decided on a small powerful flashlight and a very stout pen. both are now purpose built for defense action. blinding an attacker for just an instant is the goal. time enough to strike or leave the area. almost anything can be use as a weapon, wasp spray, chair, etc. in my pocket is a small flashlight on the side of my bag is a 2 d-cell maglight. "its only a flashlight". there is a small book out there called "flashlight fighting" iirc. only you know your situation well enough to decided your actions, but in the event of an active shooter, would you rather you or your students be dead or follow the rules? sorry. if you decided to carry a firearm, carry very well concealed and tell NO ONE. i doubt that you will be alone. irishtoo

ironhead7544
02-02-2016, 11:55 AM
The only person protected by gun-free zone laws is the shooter.

Years ago, some company made a flashbulb blinder. Fired off a bunch of them. Also, there was a long, thin aluminum flashlight almost the size of a cane.

There are metal pens made as defense weapons. A pen should'nt be a problem in a school.

murf205
02-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Tatume, my son bought a Fenix TK75 light for my birthday and I can tell you that it will blind you to look into the beam. It has a strobe that is as disorienting as I've ever seen. At strobe setting it is 4000 lumens and it's not light but it is tough. Uses 8 cr123 batts so buy a bunch with it. I love mine. BTW it's not cheap either. I think they run around $175. Of course there is always a P3-AT Kel-Tec in the pocket, but loosing your job or being arrested is always in the back of your mind. What a shame to live in a society where protecting yourself is a criminal act!

W.R.Buchanan
02-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Tom: During the day unless the light will melt your face, it is not going to be very effective. In the dark, completely different story. You can temp blind a guy and buy yourself enough time to make a move on him, and there are also lights which do a strobe function which I know for a fact are very disruptive. I had my wife use one on me and it gives you just a little more time to do something else. I have also had a 6 Cell Mag Light in my truck for 20+ years. Do wrap the handle in electricians tape so it doesn't scratch the finish. Cops have used these as Batons for as long as they have been available for a good reason. They will knock the *&^% out of someone.

Also most Tactical Lights nowadays have pretty vicious lens bezels which can make a real mess out of somebodies face if used like a gouging tool. Also you have the palm reinforcement so any fist hits you make will have more oomph. Even the Duracell 3 packs from Costco have them and those lights are fairly bright at night and will disrupt somewhat. But not during the day.

If you watch "The Best Defense" on the Outdoor Channel they had a segment on disarming an active shooter coming thru a door two weeks ago. It was Michael Jannich doing the instructing. He actually works for Spyderco as teaches self defense with anything from bare hands on up. He is especially good with a knife. I feel everyone of us should be able to defend himself with a knife at the very least.

It was simple moves that were not that hard to learn. I saw him at the SHOT Show at the Spyderco booth he commented on that episode which had ran the week before. Pretty sure those videos are on the Best Defense Site on the Outdoor Channel website. You can easily Google them or him. He said he'd gotten a lot of positive feedback on that episode and especially those techniques.

I carry a Knife and a Stinger with me full time and the stinger is a little force multiplier you can get from Dillon Precision or off Ebay. It is a little tee shaped plastic tool that works like a brass knuckle, except there is only one knuckle and it is made of hard plastic. Made it thru Airport Security last Sept. If you are hit anywhere it hurts like hell! In the head, it is a knockout blow by even your daughter.

One of my friends had a bum stick his head in the window at a Carl's Jr. drive up, and since he always has his stinger (named Ruby,,, another story) on his console in his truck it was quickly grabbed and used to drill this guy between the eyes. He dropped like a sack of potatoes! Didn't even hit him that hard.

My friend was greeted by cheers from the employees when he reached the pick up window, and his meal was free!

The basic problem with all of these options are that they are very up close and personal. Basically hand to hand.

A small Pocket Pistol like a NAA Pug in .22 Magnum with a Laser grip would be my first choice, unless you have to go thru a metal detector.

I think one of the biggest problems a lot of us Law Abiding Citizens have is our desire to obey all laws even if they are stupid laws!. I would submit that it is only against the law to roll thru a Stop Sign if a cop is watching. Same goes for a Stop Light near my House that is on a 3 minute cycle at 2 am. I stop, look around and if nobodies coming I proceed. Common Sense at work here!

All of us Speed on the Interstates. I do it everytime I drive, and so does most everyone else. That's against the Law too. When CHP tells me he won't write a Ticket for doing 75 in a 65 but will at 80 it tells me that he has common sense too.

You kind of have to pick and choose which laws you will obey and which ones you are willing to disobey because it is in your interest to do so. In your case what is the worst thing that could happen to you if you shot an active shooter that barged into your classrooms with a gun? I bet you'd need a towel to wipe the slobber off you butt from the parents of your kids kissing it. Who cares about the school officials?, and if they protested after an incident like that,,,you could make a pretty good case for their removal, and by force if necessary.

Liberals will seldom admit wrong doing or relinquish power. (Hildegard?) They're Liberal,,, it's what they do!

My .02 on this subject. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Randy

fredj338
02-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I would go fire extinguisher over a flashlight. More range & as you get closer, makes a fine bludgeon.

BSJI
02-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Green laser pointer? Way brighter than any flashlight...

dudel
02-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I keep a fire extinguisher under my desk where I can't carry. Good range, and when gripped from the T handle, can be swung pretty good. Doesn't raise any questions under the desk.

higgins
02-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Does your room have a fire extinguisher? If you had any warning at all a burst of powder or gas in the face would be disorienting. If a bad guy just bursts in the door, I have no suggestions.

Tatume
02-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses.

I've been giving a lot of thought to the fire extinguisher suggestions. In fact, just inside the door of both of my classrooms is a 20 pound CO2 bottle with a BIG exhaust nozzle. I believe it would freeze the face off of anybody within reach. If we were to hear gunfire in the building and had time to set the trap, I think we might just survive.

Just FYI, there is no way to lock classroom doors from inside the room. One has to go out in the hall and use a key to lock the door. The doors all have very large glass windows. One can hide in one corner of the room. Unfortunately, I cannot get into that corner, although my students can. If we hear gun fire, I'll arm myself with the fire extinguisher and stand between the door and my students.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Take care, Tom

dougader
02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
I took a cane to South America the first time I went. No problem with any of the airlines, but I did notice some people eye-balling the cane... maybe others who've been trained in cane defense martial arts? I think I need more of a low key looking cane.

A Benchmade knife in one pocket and a Spyderco serrated blade in another... plus the 1000 lumen Nitecore when the sun goes down or we head to a movie or whatever.

I like the idea of the wasp/hornet spray as well.

One thing you might consider is a small jframe revolver, or 380 or 9mm pocket pistol in the Smart Carry type holster. People know it's rude to even look below the waistline... so they don't make a habit of looking at small lumps here or there.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

lightload
02-13-2016, 11:52 PM
If you plan to buy a flash light, consider a C cell. Its slightly smaller diameter permits a firmer grasp, and its lighter weight allow one to swing it faster.

woodbutcher
02-14-2016, 01:20 AM
:bigsmyl2: Friend who is a retired tool and die maker has to use a cane to get around.Did`nt like what was avaleable in the medical supply stores.Sooooooooooo,he made his own version.Turned the shaft out of 6061 T6,and the ball end out of solid brass the ball end is light bulb shaped and about 4" in diameter. He has large hands.That thing will leave a mark.Ans yes he does know how to properly use it.As a couple of street punks found out much to their dismay,when they pulled a knife and tried to mug him.Well it was like they say in "Mother Russia".Thoughski,stuffski.Hehehe.
Good nluck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

TXGunNut
02-14-2016, 01:58 AM
I'd be willing to bet there are enough improvised weapons in most classrooms to get the job done...if you know how to use them. As mentioned above a large aluminum flashlight can be a deadly weapon if used improperly and most lack the candlepower to blind a determined attacker in a lighted room.
Two things I'd consider in the Op's situation; first rule of gunfighting-bring gun. Second; the appropriate response to an active shooter situation is not always return fire.

Shiloh
02-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Many a Mag-Lite has been used for self defense. 3 D cell works great. In the unlikely event it gets damaged, every piece of that flashlight is available as a replacement part.

Shiloh