PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a Danish Rolling Block

Many Klatch
01-30-2016, 11:04 AM
I have been shooting round ball muzzleloaders since the 1980's. I know about casting round ball. However I have recently started shooting an original Danish Rolling Block and it's a whole new game. This is one of the Danish made ones not the earlier Remington made ones. It is stamped with a date of 1875 so I think it is made with the better German steel. The rifling is pristine.

I swaged a roundball in the barrel and found that it measures .460. The chamber was modified to allow the use of 45/70 brass probably in the 1950's when it was imported. The brass does swell a bit but the new Starline cases seem to take it in stride. After fireforming the brass I don't resize or do anything to reload except clean the brass and install new primers.

I found out the hard way that .458/500 grain flat based bullets just keyhole at 50 yards. Lesson learned.

I found that Buffalo Bullets .460X405 grain hollow base bullets over 61.5 grains of 2F blackpowder will shoot a 19 shot ragged hole at 50 yards. I do a light compression of the powder before loading. I use an LDPE overpowder wad and then a light paper wad under the bullet. Got another batch of 100 loaded up and will try it at 100 yards tomorrow.

I don't like buying bullets since I have about a 1,000 pounds of pure lead stored. So I bought a Lee 459/405 HB mold and a Lee .460 bullet swager. Now I need to start casting when it gets warmer. I have pure lead and pure tin on hand I also have some SPG lube, but I will probably start messing with making my own lube soon.

I would appreciate any advice that you all can give me. One question is what mix of lead to tin should I use. The 1 to 20 that Buffalo sells sure seems to work well. However how do you all mix the alloy. I have only worked with pure lead.

GRUMPA
01-30-2016, 11:27 AM
When I did mine I originally used WW+1% tin and went the 20:1 later. I just grabbed 10Lbs of soft lead and added 1% tin, just mixed in the tin when the lead melted.

Here's the link I did on the ammo part of it.. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138818-11-7x51R-HELP

JSnover
01-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Add as little tin as you need to get well-filled boolits. 5% should be more than enough, though I manage pretty well at 2%-3%.

Tatume
01-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Sounds to me like you're doing just fine! Welcome to the list. Let us know how your like the Lee HB bullet. Also, I'll second the advice above; use as little tin as is needed to get the bullets to fill out the mold well. Two percent should be enough, but up to five won't hurt.

Many Klatch
01-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I was wondering what the tin was for. I have cast some lead figures and a high percentage of tin was required to fill the molds. I'll give it a try.

JSnover
01-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I was wondering what the tin was for.
Yeah, don't let anyone tell you it's for hardness. It isn't, especially you're only pouring lead/tin. Lead figurines are more intricate, so I imagine they might need more.

Harry O
01-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I don't have any particular experience with this specific combination, however, I would think that the Lee or Lyman soft-cast 405gr hollow-base bullet would work well with an oversized bore.

enfield
01-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Get the Lee 405 HB, I have 2 moulds and they both drop about .462"- .463" , a friend uses them in his Danish and they see to work very well.