PDA

View Full Version : Virgina does about face on CCW reciproposity

Artful
01-29-2016, 12:15 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-to-restore-handgun-reciprocity-in-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/28/6f8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html

Va. will again recognize concealed-carry permits from other states

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2016/01/28/Local-Politics/Images/State_of_the_Commonwealth-0d832-957.jpg?uuid=zQ_YcMXrEeWWk5M6TTG8yA
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe. (Steve Helber/AP)
By Jenna Portnoy (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/jenna-portnoy) January 28 at 4:35 PM (jenna.portnoy@washpost.com?subject=Reader%20feedb ack%20for%20%27Va.%20will%20again%20recognize%20co ncealed-carry%20permits%20from%20other%20states%27)

RICHMOND — Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Republican leaders will announce Friday they have reached a deal on Virginia’s gun regulations in a surprising moment of compromise on an issue that had threatened to poison the remainder of the governor’s term in office.

McAuliffe (D) agreed to legislation that says the state must recognize concealed-handgun permits from nearly all states — a reversal of Attorney General Mark R. Herring’s decision last month to sever the reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states.

In exchange, Republicans softened their stances on issues that have long been non-starters in the GOP-controlled General Assembly. Under the deal, the state would take guns away from anyone who was under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And State Police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers if they requested the service.

[From December: Va. to stop recognizing gun permits from 25 states (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html)]

“This is a bipartisan deal that will make Virginians safer,” McAuliffe spokesman Brian Coy said. “It also demonstrates that Democrats and Republicans can work together on key issues like keeping guns out of dangerous hands.”

The agreement marks the first break in a logjam over gun rights and gun control marked by heated rhetoric and could bolster McAuliffe’s legacy as he begins the second half of his term.

“Bipartisanship requires give-and-take by both sides,” said Matt Moran, a spokesman for House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford). “This agreement restores reciprocity for law-abiding Virginians while sending a clear signal about domestic violence. There’s a lot to like here.”

Both sides framed the deal as a win for Herring (D), whose decision on concealed-carry reciprocity motivated both sides to hammer out a deal.

Herring said he was glad to provide the momentum for an apparent compromise but reserved judgment on the legislation, which is still working its way through the General Assembly.

“I’m encouraged to finally see a bipartisan conversation about how we can reduce gun violence and keep guns away from dangerous individuals that shouldn’t have them,” he said. “At the end of the day, the measure of success for this package will be whether the final product that emerges from the legislative process makes Virginians safer.”

Last month, Herring said he was enforcing a Virginia law that says the attorney general must review reciprocity agreements with other states. If lawmakers pass and McAuliffe signs a series of bills changing state law as part of the deal they plan to announce Friday, Herring would have to adhere to a new set of laws.

As political leaders applauded a rare bout of consensus, reaction from activists was mixed. The National Rifle Association had panned Herring’s move last month but applauded McAuliffe and GOP lawmakers for coming to an agreement.

“The National Rifle Association commends leaders in the Commonwealth for moving forward on a bipartisan package that will benefit Virginia citizens,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, the organization’s lobbying arm, said in a statement.

But the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence reacted bitterly in a message on its Facebook page. The group said McAuliffe has bragged about “his administration’s aggressive new approach to confronting the National Rifle Association.”

“Now he’s preparing to cave to them,” the message said. “As far as we are aware, there is not a single gun violence prevention advocate in Virginia who was informed about this deal before it was done. We all stand in opposition to it.”

That’s just the sort of rancor that McAuliffe’s public safety secretary, Brian J. Moran, and state Sen. Bryce E. Reeves (R-Spotsylvania) said they strived to avoid as they quietly negotiated a compromise taking into account diverging personalities and political realities.

The pair traded messages and phone calls at all hours, starting two weeks ago around the time when lawmakers returned to Richmond for the legislative session.

A key moment came Tuesday night when the tentative agreement appeared ready to unravel. Reeves, Moran and two NRA lobbyists met at Rappahannock Restaurant for an oyster dinner — and to remind themselves what was at stake. In walked Secretary of the Commonwealth Levar Stoney, a McAuliffe confidant. Together they figured it out.

“Anybody who says the ‘Virginia Way’ is dead. It’s not dead. It’s alive and well,” Reeves said. “We can find compromise on the most contentious issues if we can shelve the politics and work together.”

Moran said: “This is a historic agreement for its bipartisanship. Virginians will be truly safer today than they were yesterday because of this agreement.”

The policy changes will come in the form of bipartisan legislation before the General Assembly.

A Senate panel Wednesday evening passed Reeves’s bill restoring reciprocity. It includes an amendment offered by Sen. Chap Petersen (D-Fairfax City) that says Virginia will not honor an out-of-state concealed-carry permit held by a person whose Virginia concealed-carry permit was previously revoked — a practice known as “state shopping.”

The domestic-violence bill will be carried by Sen. Janet D. Howell (D-Fairfax) and Del. Kathleen Murphy (D-Fairfax). It would require individuals subject to a permanent protective order to sell or transfer their guns within 24 hours of the judge’s order. State law currently prohibits the purchase or transport — but not possession — of guns by such individuals. Federal law prohibits all three.

Sen. John S. Edwards (D-Roanoke) and Del. L. Scott Lingemfelter (R-Prince William) are carrying the background-checks bill, which would be funded by $100,000 included in McAuliffe’s budget proposal. Unlike licensed dealers, private sellers are blocked from accessing the federal guns database to conduct background checks.

DougGuy
01-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Supposedly tomorrow they are going to announce what the new "deal" is they have come up with. Not holding my breath. This governor is an idiot.

WILCO
01-29-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the report Art!

bubba.50
01-29-2016, 01:25 AM
read the article carefully. the camel's nose will be under the tent if this deal goes through.

Wayne Smith
01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Article is wrong. Announced this AM the deal relates to 'permanent protective orders', not 'two year protective orders'. And State Police at gun shows to run 'voluntary' background checks. If this language is the deal I'm not too upset about it. A permanent protective order is a multi hearing judical proceeding. And if the State Police provide a needed service I'm all for it.

Handloader109
01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
I've not a dog in this hunt, but voluntary checks would be a good service.... If you have a permanent protective order against you, you really shouldn't have a gun...... You have pretty much done yourself in with abusive behavior . Now other amendments might kill the deal.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "permanent" protective order in Virginia however a two year protective order can be granted and it can be extended an unlimited number of times. Therefore it could become a de facto permanent order:

from Va. Code 19.2-152.10:
".....The protective order may be issued for a specified period of time up to a maximum of two years. The protective order shall expire at 11:59 p.m. on the last day specified or at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the two-year period if no date is specified. Prior to the expiration of the protective order, a petitioner may file a written motion requesting a hearing to extend the order. Proceedings to extend a protective order shall be given precedence on the docket of the court. The court may extend the protective order for a period not longer than two years to protect the health and safety of the petitioner or persons who are family or household members of the petitioner at the time the request for an extension is made. The extension of the protective order shall expire at 11:59 p.m. on the last day specified or at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the two-year period if no date is specified. Nothing herein shall limit the number of extensions that may be requested or issued......"

As for the State Police being present at gun shows to preform background checks for non-dealers selling guns; that is purely window dressing designed to make liberals feel good. There is no statutory requirement for private gun transactions to go through a background check. They are simply providing a voluntary mechanism for a background check at a gun show if the non FFL seller wishes to take that step.
The press release was carefully worded to imply that all gun transactions at gun shows would require a background check but that is not the reality. Most liberals will hear that and think that the alleged "gun show loophole" has been closed. We know that it never existed in the first place. And by the way, the State Police have been present at every gun show I've ever attended.

In effect, other than fixing the mess that our AG created with out of state CCW permits, this measure didn't change much. Which is a good thing.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
bubba.50, I understand your caution but I think it's going to be OK.

Our idiot Attorney General Mark Herring really stepped in it with his attempt to limit out of state reciprocal CCW permits. The people of Virginia communicated their displeasure with the AG's actions to their House of Delegates members and State Senators. The General Assembly heard the people loud and clear. The governor is acting like he wanted to do this but the reality is the General Assembly rammed this measure down the throats of McAuliffe and Herring and there's is nothing they can do but stand there and take it. It fact, there may be enough support in the General Assembly to override a veto and McAuliffe knows it, hence the compromise.
McAuliffe is trying to put a positive liberal spin on this but he clearly lost.

As for the bills, they don't change much. Currently Virginia law prohibits a subject of protective order from purchasing or transporting a firearm but it doesn't prohibit possession of a firearm. Federal law does prohibit possession of a firearm if you are subject to a protective order. The proposed change simply brings Va. law into line with federal law. It changes the state law but not the actual affect of the law.

Allowing the State Police to conduct voluntary background checks for non FFL sellers at gun shows doesn't require private sellers to conduct background checks but it does give them that option if they want it. There are a lot of responsible gun owners that are reluctant to sell a gun to someone they do not know out of fear of unwittingly transferring a gun to a prohibited person.

We'll see what actually ends up in the bills but if they contain the proposed language, I'll be OK with the compromise.

Char-Gar
01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Being a Texan, what takes place in Virginia is really none of my business, but that never keep me from expressing an opinion before.

Having dealt with people in domestic violence situations before and knowing just how useless a protective order can be as they are not made from kevlar, taking the guns out of the hands of violent spouses and former lovers is OK with me. There are some people who should not have guns.

If a private seller at a gun show doesn't want his guns to fall into the hands of criminals and terrorists and wants a voluntary background check, that is just fine with me also.

Blackwater
01-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the great news! I have a friend in Va. and he's a really great guy. His wife will outshoot 98% of the men I know, too! Just got a puppy from him, and was afraid I'd be a criminal when I visit him again. i'm relieved.

Artful
01-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Surprise - he's a Democrat

Mark Herring
Attorney General of Virginia

Mark Rankin Herring is the 47th and current Attorney General of Virginia. He is a member of the Democratic Party. Previously, he served in the Senate of Virginia since a 2006 special election.Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Herring)

Born (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+born&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx1xLLTrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5Vkn5RXkAYeOP tCYAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIhAEoADAQ) : September 25, 1961 (age 54), Johnson City, TN (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=johnson+city+tn&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IEsQ2NcywrtcSyk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVVJ-UR4Aek0jTDEAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMIhQEoATAQ)

Previous office (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+previous+office&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx19LOTrbST88vSy3Ky03NK9EvyM_JLMlMzkzM syooSi3LzC8tVijILwaK5ecBAE6UIDc7AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIiAEoADAR) : Virginia State Senator (2006–2014)

Office (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+office&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx19LKTrbST88vSy3Ky03NK9EvyM_JLMlMzkzM s0ouLSoCCikU5BcDhfLzAIu_Q0o6AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIiwEoADAS) : Attorney General of Virginia since 2014

Spouse (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+spouse&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx15LITrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5VsUF-aXFqQAZHRziKAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIjgEoADAT) : Laura Herring (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=laura+herring&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IGsQ0N0nLNTXO0JLKTrfQLUvMLclKBVFFxfp5VcUF-aXEqAFEm9dM1AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMIjwEoATAT)

Party (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+party&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx15LPTrbST88vSy3Ky03NK9EvyM_JLMlMzkzM sypILCqpBAAVy4Q6LwAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIkgEoADAU) : Democratic Party (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=democratic+party&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IEsVMMzE1zteSzk6300_PLUovyclPzSvQL8nMySzKTMxPzrAoS i0oqARhJKWM6AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMIkwEoATAU)

Children (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+children&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx15LKTrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5VskZmTkpRal5 AKL_w5EqAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMIlgEoADAV) : Peyton Herring (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=peyton+herring&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IGsQ0N0nLNkyu1pLKTrfQLUvMLclKBVFFxfp5VckZmTkpRah4A 6VSmSzcAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMIlwEoATAV) , Tim Herring (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=tim+herring&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IGsQ0N0nLNU8q0pLKTrfQLUvMLclKBVFFxfp5VckZmTkpRah4A zjE-ojcAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMImAEoAjAV)

Education (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=mark+herring+education&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjEx15LOTrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5VqkppcmJJZn5 eQDXb-PJKwAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQ6BMImwEoADAW) : University of Richmond School of Law (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=university+of+richmond+school+of+law&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IEsVMKLdOMtKSzk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVWpKaXJiSWZ-HgBeTzr0NgAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMInAEoATAW) ,University of Richmond (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=university+of+richmond&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IEsY0zCrILtKSzk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVWpKaXJiSWZ-HgB1Iut-NgAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMInQEoAjAW) , University of Virginia (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1120&bih=639&q=university+of+virginia&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDLPTjExV-IAsdMtirK0pLOTrfQLUvMLclKBVFFxfp5VakppcmJJZn4eAEx7 rn01AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL_J2IrtDKAhUE4mMKHaO7DmgQmxMIngEoAzAW)

10-x
01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Sadly Virginia' S politics have been influenced by being so close to DC, the center of corruption. Being a Virginian, I feel I can say my piece about politics there, our Son still lives there and I'd hate not to visit over some stupid CCW spat. Just remember who started it all, the demonrats that hold the top offices. Thing I can't figure out is how the house and senate of VA. is held by Republicans? Mac- afual was head of the DNC a few years ago, remember? IMHO The Commonwealth's decline began with ole Doug Wilder, who remembers the joke about the welcome signs one saw when entering the state back then? One from MD. was mild, the one from N.C. was true and funny.

toallmy
01-30-2016, 11:57 AM
It makes me feel better, I'm from and still in Virginia.

bob208
01-30-2016, 01:39 PM
I am happy to see the people of va. have spoken and the va. government has heard them.

tygar
01-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Virginia Citizens Defense League, which is the biggest pusher of gun rights in VA is not against this compromise & in fact, basically supports it.

My take is that the "pusilanimous, pissant" gov, saw the handwriting on the wall (enough demoscum senators were going to support the laws being passed changing this bs) that he was backed into a corner & in order to not lose face set up this deal which, in effect, hasn't done any "harm" to us & in fact, did some good.

We have to get "national" reciprocity.

shooterg
01-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Next year the Dems in VA will again propose that ALL sales have BG checks . And we just gave 'em a leg up on it. The legislature probably had the votes to accomplish this with no "compromise" . Gun -owners merely got back to GO - the other side made incremental gains toward their long term goals.
As far as anybody who has not been tried and convicted of a FELONY losing their firearms, never been a fan of that kind of feel good legislation. It's pretty easy here to get a protective order out on someone.

Petrol & Powder
01-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Considering there's currently a 67 - 33 Republican to Democrat split in the Va. House of Delegates and a 21- 19 Republican to Democrat split in the Va. Senate, I don't see a gun control bill occurring anytime soon. Not to mention the fact that on this current issue a lot of dems defected and joined the republicans.
Our idiot AG has wandered off the reservation so many times that I feel he will not survive re-election (he's already announced he plans to run again). Virginia governors cannot be elected to consecutive terms so McAuliffe is clearly gone at the end of his term. Hopefully we can hold onto the General Assembly, get a new AG and a better governor.

tygar is absolutely correct, The governor got spanked and spanked hard. He attempted to put a spin on it as if it was his idea but he really had no choice.

I don't see this compromise as "the camel's nose under the tent", nor do I think it as a bad deal for gun owners. In fact, I think this latest development will take a lot of wind out of the sails of the anti-gun crowd.

Walkingwolf
01-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Next year the Dems in VA will again propose that ALL sales have BG checks . And we just gave 'em a leg up on it. The legislature probably had the votes to accomplish this with no "compromise" . Gun -owners merely got back to GO - the other side made incremental gains toward their long term goals.
As far as anybody who has not been tried and convicted of a FELONY losing their firearms, never been a fan of that kind of feel good legislation. It's pretty easy here to get a protective order out on someone.

That is the way I feel, most courts hand out PO like cotton candy. And it is not like there are not vindictive spouses out there. Insert sarcasm. Besides the fact the laws don't work, if a angry domestic partner wants to harm another taking firearms away will not stop them. They will use anything they can get their hands on. Gun control laws are completely ineffective. I would imagine taking away a spouses prized collection might just send a sane person over the edge. And most gun collectors also collect knives too.

Want to help domestic abuse victims, allow them to defend themselves.

Petrol & Powder
01-31-2016, 05:47 PM
That is the way I feel, most courts hand out PO like cotton candy. And it is not like there are not vindictive spouses out there. Insert sarcasm. Besides the fact the laws don't work, if a angry domestic partner wants to harm another taking firearms away will not stop them. They will use anything they can get their hands on. Gun control laws are completely ineffective. I would imagine taking away a spouses prized collection might just send a sane person over the edge. And most gun collectors also collect knives too.

Want to help domestic abuse victims, allow them to defend themselves.

I hear you and totally agree that Protective Orders can be very one sided and often fueled by an angry lover/spouse/partner/etc.
However, there are three stages to protective orders in Virginia: Emergency Protective Order, Preliminary Protective Orders and Protective orders. The first two, emergency and preliminary are short term orders and are frequently issued. They are also often ex parte affairs (involving only one side) but protective orders that can be in effect for two years are a bit more difficult to obtain. I'm not saying I like them, I'm just saying two year protective orders are much less common in Virginia than the emergency & preliminary orders.
The reality is a person subjected to a protective order could not lawfully possess a firearm in Virginia before this proposal; so the amendment changes nothing.

This compromise makes liberals feel like they've accomplished something when in fact nothing has changed. Liberals are driven by emotion and this is a classic example of giving them something that they "feel" is good without doing anything to change what we are currently doing.

I completely agree that a protective order does nothing to stop violence. I also agree protective orders are often one sided in the early stages but two year protective orders are a much higher bar for pissed off spouse, lover, etc. to overcome.
It isn't ideal but in the end I think gun owners came out ahead on this one.

I don't think we gave up anything. I don't think we set the stage for more gun control and I do think we took a lot of fuel out of the firebox of the anti-gun crowd.

Artful
02-02-2016, 02:44 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/five-things-that-kind-of-explain-mcauliffes-gun-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/31/e6c070aa-c865-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html

Virginia Politics (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics)

Five things that (kind of) explain McAuliffe’s gun deal with Republicans

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2016/01/31/Local-Politics/Images/Budget_Cuts-0eb90-996.jpg?uuid=cXvpashuEeWnslovgksCyQ

Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) struck a surpise deal on guns with Republicans, including House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford), left. (Alexa Welch Edlund/AP)

By Laura Vozzella (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/five-things-that-kind-of-explain-mcauliffes-gun-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/31/e6c070aa-c865-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html#) February 1 (laura.vozzella@washpost.com?subject=Reader%20feed back%20for%20%27Five%20things%20that%20(kind%20of) %20explain%20McAuliffe%E2%80%99s%20gun%20deal%20wi th%20Republicans%27)

RICHMOND — Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) and GOP legislative leaders struck deal last week on an issue on which they have never seen eye to eye: guns. The most surprising part of all was that it reversed action that Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) had taken just last month to sever reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states with concealed-weapons standards looser than Virginia’s.

Although McAuliffe and the GOP had privately agreed to portray the deal as a win for both sides, the reactions from activists differed starkly. The gun-rights camp hailed it as a major victory, while the gun-safety camp said it had been betrayed.

Here’s what you need to know about the deal as the controversy enters its second week:

[Virginia gun-safety activists feel betrayed by McAuliffe’s gift to the gun lobby (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gun-safety-activists-feel-betrayed-by-mcauliffes-gift-to-the-gun-lobby/2016/01/29/72603778-c6a2-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html)]

Virginia restores concealed-carry reciprocity for 25 states

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/five-things-that-kind-of-explain-mcauliffes-gun-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/31/e6c070aa-c865-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html#"]

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABQAAAAUCAIAAAA C64paAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACxjwv8YQUAAAAgY 0hSTQAAeiYAAICEAAD6AAAAgOgAAHUwAADqYAAAOpgAABdwnLp RPAAAAAlwSFlzAAASdAAAEnQB3mYfeAAAAJVJREFUOE/tk1ENwCAMREEJEpCABCQgAQlIQQoSkIIEdkkXtizA6PjdfTT8v HLptbLWKj5JSim wSe1DmutrbXkkgeHEACg8mB8mHMGOYONMWjc5JzDJ957wl5gMt aUUgKM sODqLYG1o0qxrg07dF1IOpSykvOk9NSSlHg7PVsTWEB4u121xH vqh4tLvg z8U3bf6WDjULsaN9YNkfAAAAAElFTkSuQmCChttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABYAAAAVCAIAAAD NQonCAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACxjwv8YQUAAAAgY 0hSTQAAeiYAAICEAAD6AAAAgOgAAHUwAADqYAAAOpgAABdwnLp RPAAAAAlwSFlzAAASdAAAEnQB3mYfeAAAAF1JREFUOE9jYKAK E8uQNgONIEMp6DognPs7e3rkYC8vDzQaCCJLAhUA7EPuxFApch gqgGksiCQDWjRkADZDQsECljpIQFFbIZSVkee06lyAgyyq39 /eTZCU xQDTtEcPk8Cw2gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

In December, Virginia's attorney general announced it would no longer honor concealed-carry handgun permits from 25 states. Now thanks to a bipartisan deal with the governor, that declaration won't got into effect on Feb. 1st. Here’s why. (Ashleigh Joplin/The Washington Post)

Does this deal expand gun rights?
Yes. The deal goes beyond restoring the reciprocity rights that Herring had planned to revoke, directing him to strike reciprocity deals with every state that offers them. If the legislature approves the deal, more out-of-state gun owners will be allowed to carry concealed weapons in Virginia, and Virginians will be able to carry concealed weapons in other parts of the country.

Does it also tighten restrictions on guns?
Yes, but in a more nuanced way.
The deal would make it a felony under Virginia law for someone subject to a two-year protective order to possess a gun. Possession for such a person is already illegal under federal law. But because local police, not federal agents, respond to domestic incidents, abusers could be more likely to face charges. And because possession in such cases would be a felony, anyone convicted would lose the right to possess a firearm for life, barring subsequent restoration of civil rights through the governor.

The deal also calls for putting a state trooper at every gun show to run background checks for private sellers who currently have no way to check buyers’ criminal histories. But those checks would remain optional.

The McAuliffe administration says the troopers’ mere presence probably would scare off felons and other illegal buyers. The administration also hopes that many sellers, fearing civil liability, will opt to make the checks. Gun-rights legislators rejected a bill calling for voluntary checks as recently as last year.

If both sides gave up something, why is the left alone howling?

Gun-safety advocates felt blindsided by the deal, which came the week after the governor stood with them and Herring at a rally, where the attorney general’s reciprocity move was celebrated. That camp contends that it had a victory in hand, and that the governor gave it away. Gun-rights activists, on the other hand, started the year furious with Herring’s action but lacking a clear path to reverse it. So to them, the deal feels like a reprieve.

What’s the political spin on all this?

McAuliffe’s camp says that the gun-safety crowd got a good deal, and that the progress on background checks and domestic abusers is more critical than concessions on reciprocity. It echoes an argument long advanced by the gun-rights side: Gun owners who take the time to get a government permit are not the biggest threat to safety.

Gun-rights Republicans, however, say they got the better end of the deal by not only having reciprocity restored but expanded. They contend what their concessions — on optional background checks and abusers — were in territory that had grown harder to defend.

Where is the attorney general on this?

It’s unclear, but he hardly seems happy about it.

The governor’s office was working on the deal to undo one of Herring’s biggest achievements for at least a week before it let him know what was in the works. Herring has not taken a public position on the deal and was notably absent from a news conference Friday, when McAuliffe and GOP leaders rolled out the deal. Herring’s spokesman said he had a prior commitment.

McAuliffe and his team have artfully credited Herring for bringing everyone to the table — suggesting that by yanking reciprocity, Herring so freaked out the gun-rights folks that they were willing to make a deal. But Herring’s absence on this has been conspicuous, particularly at Friday’s event, when McAuliffe asked the crowd to give the absent AG a round of applause.

Awkward!
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Artful
02-04-2016, 05:45 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/bloomberg-gun-safety-group-has-a-new-target-terry-mcauliffe/2016/02/03/3aa6533c-cad8-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html

Bloomberg gun-safety group has a new target:

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe

By Laura Vozzella (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/laura-vozzella) February 3 at 10:40 PM

RICHMOND — Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) suddenly knows what it’s like to be on the other end of a Michael Bloomberg advertising campaign.

Everytown for Gun Safety, a group bankrolled by the former New York mayor, poured $2 million into TV ads last fall in a failed bid to help McAuliffe’s party take back the state Senate.

On Wednesday, Everytown launched a social media campaign against McAuliffe, who last week stunned gun-safety advocates by announcing that he had struck a gun deal with Republican legislators and the National Rifle Association. It shows side-by-side photos of McAuliffe and the National Rifle Association’s Wayne LaPierre.

“What do VA Gov. Terry McAuliffe and NRA head Wayne LaPierre have in common?” one version reads. “Both Gov McAuliffe and NRA Head Wayne LaPierre support allowing dangerous people to carry hidden loaded weapons in Virginia.”

While clearly a lower-budget affair than last fall’s TV blitz, Everytown’s social media campaign against McAuliffe was a stunner, given how closely he worked with gun-safety groups since his 2013 campaign for governor. He narrowly won the race while bragging about his “F” rating from the NRA.

McAuliffe’s spokesman, Brian Coy, said the governor stands by the gun deal as a bipartisan breakthrough in an area where compromise has been hard to come by.

“While others talk or attack, Governor McAuliffe has taken action’’ to prevent gun violence, Coy said in an email. “This bipartisan compromise is the first meaningful gun safety legislation in Virginia in more than 20 years, and it will save lives by keeping guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and people who can’t pass background checks. This isn’t about national politics, it’s about making Virginia safer and that is what this agreement will do – plain and simple.”

The deal that the McAuliffe administration hammered out with GOP legislative leaders and the NRA caught gun-safety groups off guard. In December, Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) had severed reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states with concealed-weapons standards looser than Virginia’s — a move that had infuriated gun-rights activists even though state law has long dictated that reciprocity be limited to states with standards on par with Virginia’s.

The McAuliffe deal, which still needs General Assembly approval, reversed Herring’s action — and then some, directing him to strike reciprocity deals with every state that offers them. In that sense, the deal expands gun rights.

But the deal also tightens restrictions in other areas. It would make it a felony under Virginia law for someone subject to a two-year protective order to possess a gun. Possession for such a person is already illegal under federal law. But because local police, not federal agents, respond to domestic incidents, abusers could be more likely to face charges. And because possession in such cases would be a felony, anyone convicted would lose the right to possess a firearm for life, barring subsequent restoration of civil rights through the governor.

The deal also calls for putting a state trooper at every gun show to run background checks for private sellers who currently have no way to check buyers’ criminal histories. But those checks would remain optional.

McAuliffe said the deal represents a compromise, which means neither side got all that it wanted. But all of the uproar seems to be coming from the left. As it released its social-media campaign, Everytown also announced that activists would go to the governor’s office Thursday to deliver a petition signed by more than 3,000 Virginians opposed to the deal.

McAuliffe talked up the deal Wednesday night on MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews, as the host asked him to comment on Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Matthews asked McAuliffe, a close friend of Clinton’s and chairman of her failed 2008 bid, how the former secretary of state’s strong gun-control rhetoric might play in a rural state like New Hampshire. McAuliffe answered by touting the “historic agreement” he had just struck on guns.

“If you can do it Virginia, which is the home of the NRA, working together, we can do this anywhere,” he said. “People want, folks, they want their legislators to come together, to work with their governors to make them safe.”

Lagamor
02-05-2016, 12:06 AM
I'm not normally a Washington Post fan, but that was a pretty good article. I especially liked reading between the lines, where the governor saw the writing on the wall and decided it was his own Attorney General who would be getting bent over instead of the common man.