PDA

View Full Version : HiPoint carbine

shaper
01-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Lately I have been thinking of getting one of these. I know, they are butt ugly but everything I read is positive. Owners tell how great they are.
Just wondering if anyone has dropped the action into some nice walnut.

dtknowles
01-28-2016, 10:27 PM
Lately I have been thinking of getting one of these. I know, they are butt ugly but everything I read is positive. Owners tell how great they are.
Just wondering if anyone has dropped the action into some nice walnut.

I have not really had mine apart but I don't think you could put it in a wood stock, the stock seems to be part of the action. I am not too thrilled with trigger either. I am happy with the gun overall, it is more accurate than I expected and is not fussy about ammo.

Tim

rockrat
01-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah, a good trigger would be nice, but for what you pay for it, its not bad. Eaten everything I have fed it

nagantguy
01-28-2016, 11:32 PM
I have a good friend, who had a terrible life, bad family, violence, dirty dangerous jobs, been shot and stabbed, both trying to help someone else whom was being assulted, one time on a delivery job 3 young punks tried to rob him with ball bats, he gave them the beatings of their life and then drove them to a hospital.....anyhow, he's anyhow hi point fanatic, has a vest for his dog that carries one of his carbines and ammo.and mags.....he has all three flavors of rifle and carbine, says he can't break them, can feed them anything and they are so ugly he can't give them away and no one would steal em, says the same about his dog and his truck....he is correct on all counts.

runfiverun
01-28-2016, 11:46 PM
I have never seen one in walnut.
I have also never seen one fail to feed or shoot pretty good unless you use the aftermarket magazines.
they are uglyish to many but they work.
I have been looking at the 45 rifle version to go with the 9mm I have.
all I seem to find are the new tactical type stocks and I just want the plain one.

the only thing I can complain about mine is the magazine capacity [which seems to be the biggest complaint amongst their owners]

Lead Freak
01-28-2016, 11:47 PM
I bought a .40 S&W (4095-TS) and have had quite a bit of fun with it. It's surprisingly accurate, but even more surprisingly heavy. I'm glad it doesn't have a grade AAAA walnut stock because then I wouldn't be able to toss it on the bench after sending a few pounds of lead down range. I disassembled it completly, including all of the stock components, and had it back together in about an hour. I don't believe that'll ever be necessary again, just wanted to see what it was all about. Get one in your favorite caliber and have some fun.

Bogart
01-29-2016, 01:16 AM
I have one, a 4595. Ugly as heck but reliable as heck also. Eats anything I feed it, plenty accurate and I don't mind if it gets dinged up a little. There are plenty of after market triggers and many other parts ad well. The only con is the 9 round mags. This would be a perfect little csrbine if it had 30 round mags.

Get it you won't be disappointed.

geargnasher
01-29-2016, 02:31 AM
What everyone else said. They're absolutely horrible pieces of junk except they're extremely accurate and unbelievably reliable. Buy three if you have the chance.

Gear

MaryB
01-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Friend has one, as mentioned reliable as heck and the first thing she grabs if the dogs alert. There are some mag holders to clip 2 together and all else fails if you run out of ammo it is heavy enough and well built enough to be used as a club. I have a C9 HiPoint pistol, same thing, I have ran 1500 rounds through it and other than swabbing out the barrel once I haven't cleaned it! Look for HiPoint test videos on youtube, they tried to destroy one... note tried!

richhodg66
01-29-2016, 07:29 AM
It's on my list of things to get eventually, not sure which caliber, but leaning towards 9mm for brass availability.

Not to change the subject, but anyone have experience with the Citadel carbines in 9mm? They use Beretta 92 mags I'm told and aren't quite so weird looking as the high points, I'm sure they cost more. Seems like it would be similar in usefulness, I don't plan on using the rail systems to tack a bunch of stuff on one.

Taylor
01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
My son has one,in 45,I think I like it more than him.Yes it will shoot anything you put in it.I plan to get one for myself,or trade him for his.Agreed on everything said so far,but would like to add..if only standard 1911 mags would fit.

6bg6ga
01-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Bought a 4595 and purchased several large capacity magazines. Had to tweak the mags slightly to get them to work. Accurate little carbine and fun to shoot for all.

6bg6ga
01-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Yeah, a good trigger would be nice, but for what you pay for it, its not bad. Eaten everything I have fed it

Is there anyway to tweak the trigger?

GhostHawk
01-29-2016, 09:57 AM
What gear said, and I did buy 3 a .40sw and a pair of 9mm's.

I have the stock to drop it into, wife brought it home from the second hand store, ebony forend tip, recoil pad, the whole deal.

But, it would take a LOT of very careful inletting. And the HiPoints go together with cross pins.
And you still have the steel shroud over the action making it the worlds ugliest gun.

But, a good tool does not have to be pretty. Ever seen a well loved, well used and abused pipe wrench look pretty?
No pink bows, half the paint gone, some rust, but man can that thing turn a pipe.

For me the HiPoint carbines are the same way.

Ugly as sin, rock solid bet the farm dependable. Very accurate at reasonable distances. My 9mm's outshoot my .40sw at distance. But at the 20 foot mark on the indoor pistol range one mag out of the .40sw will make a 2" black stick on target disappear. I mean there is dang little black showing after 10 shots in the bull have chewed things up.

You could write your name with that thing if you wanted to burn the ammo.

lavenatti
01-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Man, ...

This thread just made about about $700 leave my pocket. Ordered one in .40 and another in .45.

Can't wait to get them.

bear67
01-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Got a 995 in a multi gun deal and thought it was uglier than our east Texas pulp wood haulers--then took it to the range with some of the grand kids. To this day they like it better than anything in the safe to play with. I have a kel tec with 9mm glock mags, a Thompson in 45 and a Camp 9 and they like the "ugly beast" best. We even use it with the aftermarket mags after patiently "tuning" the lips a little. Function before form.

It also travels with Mama Bear and I in the fifth wheel--stick in the closet and it is backup to whatever handgun we are carrying at the time. If it is stolen, I don't loose much. Heck, I am looking for one in .40 Smith now--need a carbine for all the pistol calibers we load and shoot.

One concession is that I don't keep it in the big safe with all the fine blued finish and shiny walnut stocks. That way it does not get a complex when shunned by the "pretty" set of guns. Just store it with the working, saddle worn guns and every one is happy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
I had a older style carbine in 40.
As everyone else proclaimed, it cycled all the ammo I fed it, and was accurate enough for a pistol caliber carbine. I sold it at my auction last year, as I decided I am not a fan of pistol caliber carbines. I'd rather shoot a rifle caliber rifle. Exception:my Marlin 1894s in 41 mag...but to be honest, a hot load of H110 and the RD 255gr RF...it's almost a rifle caliber ;-)

OilyPablo
01-29-2016, 12:36 PM
I doubt I would own a HP pistol, but I too own a 4095. It's a fun plinker! I had a little problem when it was new (burr in the chamber!!), sent it back, HP fixed and returned it within weeks. Runs like a champ now.

FLINTNFIRE
01-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Oh heck I bought the 45 and the 40 no one had the 9 at the time , shoots , feeds all the cast , ugly as sin , I would not put good wood on one , they are what they are a reliable pistol caliber short rifle , shoot them more then the old thompson .

Break a part , your fault , call them they send new part no complaints and no charge , Have seen one case head separation in a hi point 40 pistol , extractor and spring and a unhooked spring and back to running , Did not hurt it at all , they are tough and ugly, for fun cheap plinkers , they are hard to beat

Bonz
01-29-2016, 01:08 PM
I've wanted to buy a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W, love the way that it folds in half

https://youtu.be/DM0IXG_TBTA

lavenatti
01-29-2016, 01:13 PM
The Keltecs are nice, I have one in 9mm and folded up it fits in a laptop case.

Smoke4320
01-29-2016, 01:18 PM
only issues I have seen it aftermarket mags and people overtightening the 2 receiver crossbolts ..
they run well feed almost everything and are accurate for a pistol caliber carbine

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2016, 02:53 PM
They are not ugly but BUTT UGLY and like a faithful pup no matter what you feed them they keep coming back for more.

Yep I got a pair also and they keep complaining because I wont take them out to play where I live.

No respect fer us old folks either.:twisted:

OilyPablo
01-29-2016, 03:53 PM
HiPoint carbines are like decent snob detectors at the range. It's great. It does have limitations if you have other platforms, you know, the fancy stuff with you. Or people who actually know you. But show up at the range with ONLY a HiPoint. It's like you have gun herpes or are from the 'hood or something.

Wis. Tom
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM
My 995 got shot more at the range than most of the other guns I would bring, so had to upgrade the red dot on it. A shame when you have more money in the red dot than you have in the rest of the gun. LOL Kids love it and shoots everything it is fed. Had to set up a progressive just for 9mm, mainly because of that carbine, but it would be worse if the mags held more.

tim338
01-29-2016, 04:24 PM
I just passed on a highpoint 9mm carbine for $150. I didn't realize they were so much fun or I might have picked it up. They are pretty ugly.

Outpost75
01-29-2016, 04:27 PM
"Gun Herpes" I love it!

bedbugbilly
01-29-2016, 07:40 PM
I keep reading and hearing about these and it's "whetting" my appetite for one. I'm thinking one in 9mm would be fun . . . and then I think about having to bend over and trying to find the ejected brass! Still . . . the trade off might be well worth it . . . and there are some at the range that maybe the "herpes" aspect would get them to leave as they aren't the "safest" people to be around? LOL

OilyPablo
01-29-2016, 07:46 PM
See if you can find a used one, but as a gauge mine was $249 brand new out the door. I want a Keltec .40SW, kinda sorta but they seem a little rare and expensive. I've been able to get my 10mm SBR (11" barrel) AR down to about 5 pounds, so a Keltec doesn't pull me that hard.

shaper
01-29-2016, 09:12 PM
OK. So I went out and bought one in 9mm. Out of the box, first shot jammed. I cleared it and it took three tries to get it to load a round from the magazine. This happened a couple of times. It took about 20 shots to get the sights tuned in. I had a target set up at 175 feet. The last shots came out with a group of 3 inches. I was not prepared for the little kick it gave my shoulder. My thoughts before pulling the trigger was it was going to be like a 22 shooting. Was I wrong. This thing is not a toy. There is a lot of energy in each of those little bullets. Dummy me, I started shooting without ear covering, I came away with a headache. If I had not run out of ammo I probably would still be out there. It really is fun to shoot. I can see a 40 cal in my future.

jcwit
01-29-2016, 10:54 PM
OK. So I went out and bought one in 9mm. Out of the box, first shot jammed. I cleared it and it took three tries to get it to load a round from the magazine. This happened a couple of times. It took about 20 shots to get the sights tuned in. I had a target set up at 175 feet. The last shots came out with a group of 3 inches. I was not prepared for the little kick it gave my shoulder. My thoughts before pulling the trigger was it was going to be like a 22 shooting. Was I wrong. This thing is not a toy. There is a lot of energy in each of those little bullets. Dummy me, I started shooting without ear covering, I came away with a headache. If I had not run out of ammo I probably would still be out there. It really is fun to shoot. I can see a 40 cal in my future.

For crying out loud, put hearing protection in you ears or do not shoot.

If nothing 2 9mm cases would have worked.

I have constant sound in my ears like ocean surf.

Present aids went on the blink a few weeks ago, they worked fine for 5 years, $3,000.

New ones coming Monday, $4,000.

Thank God for the VA.

You have no idea what it's really like!

Only firearm I shoot without hearing protection on is a .22 rifle with a bloop tube on it.

OilyPablo
01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
I was going to say. I always use plugs and e-muffs. Perfect combo. I can have a conversation and even the loudest blast is just a pop.

shaper
01-30-2016, 12:39 AM
Yes I did put the ear muffs on....right after the first shot. It was the first time at shooting anything in a 9mm, I just didn't know what to expect. But I know now.

jcwit
01-30-2016, 12:42 AM
Good to hear!

jcwit
01-30-2016, 12:42 AM
Pardon the pun.

funnyjim014
01-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Make sure to not slam a mag in with the bolt locked open. The firing pin will get bent from the top round in the mag. The pin sticks out of the bolt when its fully retracted. If it does get bent its fairly easy to bend it back as its not all that hard. Cant beat em for the money

shaper
01-30-2016, 10:43 PM
that is good to know.

funnyjim014
02-01-2016, 08:44 PM
O by the way....it still fired with the bent pin

histed
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I have never seen one in walnut.
I have also never seen one fail to feed or shoot pretty good unless you use the aftermarket magazines.
they are uglyish to many but they work.
I have been looking at the 45 rifle version to go with the 9mm I have.
all I seem to find are the new tactical type stocks and I just want the plain one.

the only thing I can complain about mine is the magazine capacity [which seems to be the biggest complaint amongst their owners]
Fiver - check this out - new 20 round mag for the 9 - http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f275/hands-review-new-redball-20-round-mag-317476/
Also, I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it right away. Someone on the HP forum (Thingmister, I think) is offering a 25 round drum recently. IIRC, however, they be a bit pricey.

chutesnreloads
02-01-2016, 10:27 PM
I keep reading and hearing about these and it's "whetting" my appetite for one. I'm thinking one in 9mm would be fun . . . and then I think about having to bend over and trying to find the ejected brass! Still . . . the trade off might be well worth it . . . and there are some at the range that maybe the "herpes" aspect would get them to leave as they aren't the "safest" people to be around? LOLGet you one the dirt cheap velcro wrap brass catchers made for an AR.....fits the HIpoint and mine only lost brass when I forgot to zip it closed

longshot1154
02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Well, after reading this thread I had to stop in at my LGS and I ordered the .40 cal model. Seems like it will be fun and less than $250.00.

Bad Water Bill
02-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Just checked and Amazon has the brass catchers in several varieties from $9.99 to $34.99 delivered in 2 days or so.

Great item for us courageous members with bad backs or eyes or the younger ones with fumble fingers.[smilie=s:

Harter66
02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Ms bought a 4595 last week . $337 tax/brady. I have a 2nd mag floating around somewhere in the stuff . Apparently there are 2 generations as far as mags go . The weather turned on us so we've not been out to shoot . I was pleasantly surprised when it fed all but 2 dummies from the mag that were made up for an ACP revolver. The length tripped it up with a patched over sized 429426 and a 454424 . Just 1 solution for that we have to have a new mould .........or feed them both from the 452-255 RNFP and save the Lymans for the Colts .

I've lived by function over form most of my life and brother I hope the the above claims hold true . I fooled with but didn't get to shoot a 4095 several yr ago . I never seemed to have the $200 for a 995 ,a companion to the only auto cartridge I had then . I decided that I finally had the money and should have 1 to go with the 40 S&W that had somehow wondered into my safe ...... there hasn't been 1 on the shelf for 5 yr . With a 45 revolver having come home as a legitimate child when an FFL (with prices most of the time that make walking away very difficult ) showed up the 4595 it was done . (Feeling greatful that he prefers cash and doesn't have a paypal-like account because I'd be down by next year's tax return before I had last year's W2 in hand ,gives me a chance to think "self this is an impulse buy ,take a step back ......do you really need that? " In the puppy dog eyed 4 yo voice "no, but you know you want it toooooo" . Self caves but is redeemed at the last minute. "Honey the Dr says my foot is broken and that lump is the bone coming out. I'll be off work 6 weeks." Ok fine just the 45 ,not the45, 40 and the 9.....) .

Here's to ugly but reliable.

GhostHawk
02-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Harter I started out with the .40 when I saw it advertised here for 200.

Put a Red Dot on it and my wife went to town with it at the pistol range.
Grin from ear to ear and she says "do they have one like this that doesn't bump my shoulder so much?"
Well yes dear they do, found a new one on gunbroker for 260 and didn't flinch. So we have them both back and the range and the one RSO who volinteers there asked if i would be interested in buying another.

So my .45 carbine gets put off for a few months. As long as Uncle Sam keeps paying Social Security every month I'll have the set by next year.

Yeah they are ugly. Hard to break though.