PDA

View Full Version : lube idea

redneckdan
10-16-2005, 06:39 PM
I my dad's lubsizer we run 80/10/10 beeswax/peanut oil/ivory soap. Now that I'm at college I have been tumble lubing with lee's liquid alox. I had an idea today...why not heat up the homemade lube, then use it to tumble lube. Do you think it would work?

nighthunter
10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
You being a redneck I expected to see some lard in your lube formula. Might smell a little if you heat it up in your dorm room.

redneckdan
10-16-2005, 08:14 PM
my first recipe used lard. The only camp stove I have is an MSR Whisperlite Intl. The only temp settings are off and full after burner. The lard ended up combusting before the ingredients fully mixed. the 80/10/10 recipes has a higher flash point.

imashooter2
10-16-2005, 08:26 PM
The melted homemade will probably congeal as soon as it hits the cold boolits leaving you with a big lump of crap.

drinks
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I use what I call the sardine can method to lube.
I melt some lube, have tried several, LBT blue and Lyman work fine, get enough to come up the bullet to the crimp groove, using an electric hot plate with a thermostat, I keep the lube liquid but not smoking, place the bullets in the can on their bases, watch a few seconds, the lube will climb up the bullet when the bullet gets hot, take the bullet out, I use 6" forceps, and set on the base in an aluminum pie pan, let cool and you have a lubed bullet, no luber machine, no waiting overnight for liquid alox to dry and if you have a nice hard lube, no mess in pocket or pouch.

Leftoverdj
10-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Heat the bullets, not the lube. Makes for even coverage. Never tried it for magnum or hv rifle bullets, but it works well enough for most plain based stuff.

If I had only the stove described for making lube, I'd improvise a double boiler. Use the stove to boil a larger pan of water in which the pan for the lube sits.