PDA

View Full Version : Storage Question

OeldeWolf
04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a question about long term storage of cast/loaded ammo.

I would like to load up a thousandso of pistol ammo, and put it in an old GI ammo box, just to be sure I have some always available. As local temps almost always hit 115F in the summers, I understand I will need a relatively hard lube. Perhaps the canuba red?

Should I also plan on sealing the primers, and would the case mouth also need sealing, or would the lube do that?

And with rifle ammo, the same questions, and expand it to cover J-bullets as well as cast.

Thank you in advance for your opinions/advice.

35remington
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Keep it away from 115 degree heat for any prolonged period; not just for the wax, but for the longevity of the powders and priming. SOP for storage is a reasonably cool, dry place.

Can't do that? Don't store or stockpile a lot of ammo.

Once this is done (proper storage) all other factors become less critical, including lube, assuming your lube is not mixed poorly. Stick with known to be reliable lube. Don't worry about the case sealing. Any condition where you'd need case sealing is for the short term, like a few hours of water immersion. Only SEALS worry about that.

Waterproof sealing needs for the long term don't exist, as wet lead, brass and copper deteriorates when damp for any period not measured in hours or short days.

KYCaster
04-24-2008, 11:12 PM
The hardness of the lube is not nearly as important as the melting temp. Try Felix's test with your preferred lube...put a bit of it on a paper towel and lay it in a sunny window...to see if it runs or any of the components bleed out of it.

I use Thompson's Blue Angel. It starts to get tacky at about 125* and doesn't start flowing till 135*. Magma's lube is about the same. I don't have any experience with FWFL, but Felix says it passes his test fine. I once had a very bad experience with some 45 acp lubed with Zambini Rooster Red. I left them in the cab of my truck in the summer time. The lube melted and contaminated the powder. I ended up tossing 300 rounds in the dumpster.

I recently shot some 357mag that I loaded about 1985 that was lubed with RCBS pistol lube and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I still ocasionally see mil surp .45 with 1940 something head stamps that still go BANG every time, so age isn't what hurts ammo.

I'd say rotate your stock...what ever you load this year, put it on the shelf and shoot up what you loaded last year. That should ease any fear of ageing ammo.

Jerry

Edited to add: I did have a problem with some 35 Remington that had sat on a shelf in my basement for about eighteen years that had case failures on every one that I fired. The cases split in odd places, some at the shoulder and some on the body. I blamed it on using Brasso in my tumbling media. I don't know for sure if that was the cause of it, but I've quit using Brasso or any other polishing agent containing ammonia.

GabbyM
04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I use Carnauba Red and it seems like good stuff. I advertise my boolits as lubed with it but have only been using it for the last few months. No feedback negative or positive. My personal experience has been positive.

I'd advise to email White Label Lube co. and tell them what you want. Since no lube blender gives out their secret formula you can't make a decision based on short term results. Beeswax ,Carnauba and alox would out last the powder or primers. But their may be something else in the mix.

For the ammo cans you will of course want some descant packets. Used ones can be dried out in an oven for reuse. Then you'll want to make convenient sized individual packets to pack into the cans. . Since corrosion spreads like a cancer. Also enabling you to open a can to remove a packet without finger printing the remaining ammo.

I'm not up to date on what's best. But when I pack ammo I wear nitrile gloves throughout the loading process to prevent finger print corossion. Then pack in plastic freezer bags. Wrapping those in butchers paper secured with plastic tape.

Other than that I've always enjoyed the luxury of storing my ammo inside my home with temp control.
I've only had one can of powder go bad in thirty-five years and it was purchased used from a person looking to get rid of it.

115 degrees is some serious temperature. You may want to look into a ground vault if water invasion isn't a problem. Wouldn't need to be deep like a root cellar. Just a couple of feet under. Or just go ahead and make a wine cellar and stash a couple of boxes of boolits in their. Since you 're in Kalifornia.

In summation. Rotate your stock by selling some off every year then loading new. Better yet just shoot it.

last year I shot some 5.56mm I loaded up, when Jimmy Carter was president, for my Matell gun I bought at KMart for $69.95 when J Ford was President. 1 1/2" 100 yard groups still on elevation as sihgted in with irons thirty years ago.

Just keep your powder dry and your bore shined.

DeanoBeanCounter
04-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Another thing you should consider is storing the amo bullet end down. If the lub should melt or separate then it will run out of the cartridge instead of into the powder.
Dean

GabbyM
04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Another thing you should consider is storing the amo bullet end down. If the lub should melt or separate then it will run out of the cartridge instead of into the powder.
Dean

Like put them in these boxes.
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=2317383&showprevnext=1

OeldeWolf
04-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Thank you for the replies. The 115 is the outside temp we hit during the days, sometimes for a week or so at a stretch.

I intend to keep it inside, but if it has to get moved, it will get that temp.

I was planning on using the GI ammo boxes I have, and dessicant. Maybe some vapor phase inhibitor?

I have some military issue 7.65 argie ammo that is probably from the 20's, and it is still quite reliable. Stock rotation sounds reasonable, if I can get out to shoot that much in a year. :)

The water table is too high here for any sort of cellar. Besides, putting one in would involve all sorts of regulations and paper work. :( Need to move elsewhere for my secret rooms. :)

Point down sounds imminently reasonable. :)

thank you, all.

Junior1942
04-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Put it in a frost free refrigerator. Running frost free, I must add. It'll stay a constant cold temp and in a constant low humidity environment.

beagle
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Keep the loaded ammo cool and dry. Ammo cans are ideal. I shot some .45 ACP that I loaded in 1961 in 2000 with Lyman's 452460, Javelina lube and Unique and it fired fine and was accurate./beagle

35remington
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
If you're bound and determined to store it in 115 degree temps for any extended (more than a few weeks) time, rotate your ammo.

Don't store it at 115 degrees for extended periods. No matter what. No choice.