PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon Buys Military Powder Orders To Meet Clays Demand, New IMR RIfle Powder – SHOT

trapper9260
01-27-2016, 07:57 AM
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hodgdon-buys-military-powder-orders-new-imr-4955/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160127_SHOT16_5&utm_campaign=/blog/hodgdon-buys-military-powder-orders-new-imr-4955/

458mag
01-27-2016, 09:32 AM
Would be nice to see lower powder prices.

leadman
01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Lower prices would be great.
I spoke with someone at Hodgdon several months ago about the new Enduron powders and was told that these would sell for less than the current powders as it is cheaper to make. This has not been the cases as the new powders are from $2 to #5 more than the older powders, depending on where you look for prices. So who is making the extra money that we are supposed to be saving??
Glad there is going to be more powder available even though I have not used any of the Clays powders.

reddog81
01-27-2016, 11:15 AM
It took them 3 years to realize the demand for their product has increased. That's rather odd.

jmort
01-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Good news all around. More powder in the market will drive market forces in the right direction.
BTW, Hodgdon did not buy military powder, they committed to a "millitary size" order due to lessening demand by militaries. Not "military powder" it is a "military size" order for the Clays line.

dilly
01-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Prices sure have gone up, so this is welcome news to me. I don't use these powders, but I don't have anything against them and I could be persuaded. Maybe their availability will drive down the cost of other powders as well.

Smoke4320
01-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Lower prices would be great.
I spoke with someone at Hodgdon several months ago about the new Enduron powders and was told that these would sell for less than the current powders as it is cheaper to make. This has not been the cases as the new powders are from $2 to #5 more than the older powders, depending on where you look for prices. So who is making the extra money that we are supposed to be saving??
Glad there is going to be more powder available even though I have not used any of the Clays powders.

right now its the distributors charging the dealers more .. Dealers are passing that on
As a FFL holder I see the dealer pricing from said distributors

sparky45
01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Got some H4350 for $23.50 at Powder Valley the day before yesterday. Cheapest I've bought in some time.

Baja_Traveler
01-27-2016, 01:09 PM
This will be good news for a buddy of mine that has been looking for Clays to feed his trap shooting addiction.

I've been using Universal Clays as a direct replacement for Unique. Works really well in my 32-20 and light 30-30 loads for silhouette chickens - and burns cleaner too.

Blammer
01-27-2016, 08:10 PM
the 4955, 4451 and 7977, what are they close to or comparable to?

I can say I've never heard of these powders before.

wonder what cartridges they can be used in.

Are they in any reloading books?

Mica_Hiebert
01-27-2016, 08:37 PM
the 4955, 4451 and 7977, what are they close to or comparable to?

I can say I've never heard of these powders before.

wonder what cartridges they can be used in.

Are they in any reloading books?
You can get reloading data from their web site.

David2011
01-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Got some H4350 for $23.50 at Powder Valley the day before yesterday. Cheapest I've bought in some time.

Thanks, Sparky! Order placed. A buddy and I have both been searching for H4350.

David

9w1911
01-29-2016, 02:47 AM
Universal has been available here and there, Clays not so much.

Blackwater
01-29-2016, 11:50 PM
Blammer, go get a new copy of Hodgdon's 2016 Annual Manual. It's on the newsstands now if you can find one that carries gun related stuff. Got mine at the local Booksamillion, but Midsouth has it on sale now cheap enough that even with shipping, it's still cheaper than the news stand prices.

And thanks for the good news, Trapper. The powder companies haven't been able to keep up with the supply demands since Obama went in, and building new plants is out of the question now, what with the politics involved, plus all the idiotic regulations already in place. It's a bad situation, but Hodgdon's and the other powder mfg's aren't the cause or problem. They've done all they CAN, and they certainly don't want to miss a sale, because sales are money! The onl real answer to it is a new political admin, one who's friendly to business and guns and entrepreneurship. If we don't get it, we won't be able to get powder at ALL before long, at ANY price! And the black market that ensues will be very spindly and weak too, if there's no continuing supply. It's just like in wartime when the enemy gets all your supply trucks. Nobody can fight without ammo, and very, very few are prepared for any length of time at all. It's the efforts of those who are trying to be prepared that is driving all this, and they're acting very rationally. Self preservation will ALWAYS be the strongest motivation we have! And LGS's can't even GET powder hardly any more, though it's been loosening up a bit as of late. It's frustrating, but blaming the powder companies isn't the answer. it's fighting our own compadres, and that's never going to be a good or functional thing!

dkf
01-30-2016, 01:15 AM
It is just amazing how much powder we are shipping into the US from other "first world" countries on a similar economic tier as we are. It would be nice if more of it was made here in the states, should cut lead time considerably.

jonp
01-30-2016, 07:45 AM
I saw 8lb jugs of Clays at the last gunshow alongside the Unique. I don't use it so didn't pay much attention but I think it was about the same as the $145 sticker on the Unique. Maybe it was $160. Not really sure but there was plenty to be had and after I had walked around a couple of hours I went back to pick up the Unique and 2400 the guy held for me and it was still there. Odd thing was that it seemed no-one but me was buying powder except one kid getting some cfe 223.