PDA

View Full Version : need help on 358313 ideal SC mould

scrapcan
04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Hope Floodgate sees this post.

I aquired a single cavity 358313 and have not found much info related to dates, load data, and normal or intended use.

The mould I have has a top band that casts at 370 the three drive bands cast at 360.

It sizes to 358 and makes a very nice looking round flat point. Of the allyo we are using it drops at roughly 158 grains.

None of the load data I have lists the use of this boolit, I intend to use it with data for similar weights. I just thought it might be good to have some history/info on the design.

floodgate
04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Jeremy:

(This is a copy/paste from my response to your e-mail.)

#358313 is an odd one; the cherry number is a "blank" in the early Marlin/Ideal Handbooks, and I find it listed only in the 1958 Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets", where it is shown as #375313, with the notation "P.B." overlaid on the engraving cut, and "Plain-base light bullet for the .38-40", with a medium-size meplat, a narrow front scraper band, a crimp groove, two grease grooves, and a long-ish base band, with no weight or loading data. The other appearance is in the 1973 Lyman 2nd Edition "Cast Bullet Handbook", where it appears as #358313, where the same bullet is shown as weighing 170 grs. and taking the #449 sizer top punch and 310 tool seating screw, but no further information. The data are obviously garbled; it can't be for the .38-40, and neither illustration fits your description. Is your mould an early fixed-block Ideal, or the later Lyman loose-block type?

Doug

scrapcan
04-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks Doug,

I will get some pictures to you and put them up here also.

As a response,

The mould is a loose block single cavity. I also looked at the 1958 and 173 lyman manuals. Those were the only references that I had that even showed the 358313.

The boolit does have a larger diameter narrow scraper band, a shallow round bottom lube/crimp groove, three drive bands of equal length, and two round bottom lube grooves of equal depth. My alloy tends to be a bit lighter than #2 so the 170 grains is probably about right.