PDA

View Full Version : Snow for sale.

44man
01-24-2016, 05:29 PM
P.U. only. We got hammered. 159033159034 First is Carol's 4 Runner under that, second is path to the barn.
It is higher then the snow blower and took a long time. I got half the drive done and quit. Need chains on the snow blower.
It is waist deep on my deck and the only time I can take my little dog out without a leash. :bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
01-24-2016, 05:34 PM
No thanks! It's pretty, but it belongs on Christmas Cards, not on my yard. 8-)

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Looks about the same as my house. Snow was a good foot over the blower in certain places. Had 4' on top of my carport. Spent two hours shoveling it off. Plastic shovel and rubber roof makes for easy but time consuming work. I had to clear an area for my GSP to answer natures call. Normally I tell him to suck it up. But it's to deep and he wants nothing to do w/ it.

C. Latch
01-24-2016, 05:46 PM
We got 10" or so of total accumulation here (6" wednesday, then 7" thursday after the first bit had half-melted).

I know that's nothing to many of you but it's more than I have seen in 25+ years.

farmerjim
01-24-2016, 05:47 PM
How much can you get in a MFRB?

44man
01-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Even the vents for the toilets are covered so they flush funny. No way I am going on the roof!
They are calling for a warm up and maybe rain, a disaster if it rains.

Petrol & Powder
01-24-2016, 05:56 PM
2' here with drifts well over 3'. It's not even a little fun when it's this deep. Everything is a chore.

mikeyjones
01-24-2016, 05:59 PM
On top of the 2+' feet that fell from the sky, our driveway got plowed in. Had banks over 6' tall at the mouth of our driveway.

My little 5hp 24" Ariens snowblower took a long time to clear all of that. Thinking I need a bigger blower or a plow on my ride on mower.

MarkP
01-24-2016, 06:02 PM
You need some our wind to go with that snow!

I bet the kids love it SNOW DAY!

kingstrider
01-24-2016, 06:07 PM
You can keep it, we moved from the DC area last summer and I'm through with snow. Sold my snowblower knowing I'd probably never need it here. I'm near Hilton Head SC and we saw a couple flurries yesterday but went bird watching today with temps in the mid-40s.

rking22
01-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Snow's pretty, glad it's not mine :)

GRUMPA
01-24-2016, 06:15 PM
I almost feel sorry for you guys, around here we just wait till it melts...

Artful
01-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Thinking I need a bigger blower or a plow on my ride on mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

therealhitman
01-24-2016, 07:53 PM
How do you see the plates on your range? Gonna have to paint them black I guess.

xs11jack
01-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Too heavy a machine and too small a snowblower. Needs a six foot wide blower and wider tracks. That thing is just a toy. Not anymore useful than a 10hp 26 or 30 inch blower.
Ole Jack

TXGunNut
01-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Yep, ya'll can keep it. I'll gladly send you the ice we generally get around here as most get stupid on it and neither of my vehicles do well on it.

foesgth
01-24-2016, 10:46 PM
I'll it all if you deliver:bigsmyl2:. So far el nino has been a bust. I'm worried about my trees.

Cariboo
01-24-2016, 10:46 PM
or a plow on my ride on mower. they don't like more than 2" wet snow and use a lot of real estate pilling it if more than a foot also they don't do not like more than about a 4% grade

44man
01-25-2016, 09:12 AM
How do you see the plates on your range? Gonna have to paint them black I guess.
Not so funny, I used to go to an IHMSA shoot in PA that used white steel and in the spring there was snow still on the ground. Sure waste of ammo!

44man
01-25-2016, 09:15 AM
I have a big snowblower and it has trouble moving forward, darn thing needs chains.
It is a real workout using it. Trying to back up is no fun with wheels spinning.

Hickok
01-25-2016, 09:31 AM
15907844 man my blower was doing the same. Here I am, big and ugly, nearly boolit proof in Carharts, and assorted other layers. I had the beard and shades before "Duck Dynasty" made them popular!:cool:

shredder
01-25-2016, 10:44 AM
And here I am in the Great White North with nothing white to show you. We are hoping for a little snow so we may have some runoff this spring. As crazy as it sounds, I am a bit jealous of you guys and all your moisture!

NO I will not buy any!!

Blackwater
01-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Whatever y'all do with all that snow, do NOT bring it to south Ga.! Folks here can't drive in it, and when it snows here, you'll see cars in the ditch every mile or two, usually with perplexed looks on their faces, as though saying, "How did THAT happen?" You northerners would get a good laugh out of it.

The last time we had a "big" snow for our area was a number of years ago, and it just happened to come when I'd scheduled a visit to a friend up on Lake Lanier in n. Ga. My wife thought I was crazy (again!) when I took off up there in all that snow. What is normally a 3 hr. drive took me 5.5 hrs. IIRC. It was slow going, for sure, and I passed many who matched the description above. One guy in a big 4WD truck with big mud grip tires got tired of following me at the pace I was going, took off loudly around me, and about 2 miles up the road, I passed him in a big, deep, muddy ditch that even his big hawg of a truck couldn't get out of. That redneck haughtiness had left him, and been replaced by anger and embarassment. Ain't it funny how things work out like that?

I made it to my buddy's and we had a great time in spite of the snow. Got the best photo of his 150 yr. old log cabin he'd bought and moved up there. He still has that photo of the moon above, the snow on the roof, the yellow light bulb at the door providing just enough light to define the porch, and woods and snow all around it. Great photo and he still has it. It was one of those luck shots where you just throw up and shoot quickly, and forget 'till the photos and negatives come back, and then you go "Wow! Did I do that?" He's still got that photo in his home here. And another I took of him white water kayaking that was another luck shot. We've been friends since 1956. Lot of water under them bridges! Good water, too!

So y'all keep that white stuff up where folks know how to drive in it, will ya'? We don't need the kind of comedy it creates down here!

mozeppa
01-25-2016, 11:31 AM
How much can you get in a MFRB?

a MFRB full of it!

44man
01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
I am from Ohio and used to snow. I drove home from work at 60 MPH in 8" of it. Had guys pass me. At 61 MPH my one wheel drive PU, no posi traction, would lose steering.
Came here and had to drive through VA to work. You would not believe. They spread salt on deep snow and turned it to slush before plowing. Salt trucks could not get on roads at all. When a hill got icy, all stopped for hours until the sun came up. I was stuck behind the yuckers once below a hill with black ice. I turned my car by getting out and pushing it sideways until all the way around. I went back and drove home at 45 MPH on black ice. Had to go farther but as soon as in WV, roads were clear. Back to 70 right quick. I have to wonder why they stack up, bumper to bumper and sit there. The closer you get to DC, the more stupid people are.
I drove across Ohio to hunt with roads one lane and snow to the top of telephone poles from the blower. Dare not meet another car.
I got out today and went to the store. First road was good, Bakerton road was one lane with little spots to let others pass. New tires on my 4 Runner are super. Those front wheel drive jerks are funny. STAY HOME!
Yeah my dogs favorite store. Booze store where she gets a treat.
Carol could not drive in this, never learned. I scare her witless in snow. I have been known to do 70 on snow covered roads. Look into fields full of cars and wonder what they did wrong.

Rufus Krile
01-25-2016, 05:20 PM
What is this "snow" thing everyone keeps talking about?

Artful
01-25-2016, 11:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMp8ujFYktM

GaryN
01-26-2016, 03:20 AM
You gotta watch that deep stuff. In '93 it snowed about 4 or 5 ft one weekend on top of 2 or 3 ft. that was already on the ground. I shovelled my roof three times. There were many buildings that collapsed. I remember looking at how the huge I beams were all twisted up.

Col4570
01-26-2016, 04:01 AM
Shooting black Powder arms over snow will give a good indication of excess loading since unburned powder falls and shows on the snow.Reduce your load until no powder falls then you have the right load.Here in the UK we are getting the aftermath of your USA storms maily rain,high winds and sleet.Stay safe.

Ola
01-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Well seeing them is not the problem. But finding and digging them up, that can be.
Luckily this time we've only had about 1 feet snow so we are still shooting steel. (we haven't "lost" the targets inside snow)

btw. At the moment it is raining outside. 3 days ago it was -13 F.

Rick Hodges
01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMp8ujFYktM

Snow NEVER EVER caused an automobile crash!!!!! It is Always the idiots that don't know how to drive in it!

tmax64
01-26-2016, 09:45 AM
It's amazing how many people don't realize that 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop.

Cariboo
01-26-2016, 03:12 PM
it means 4' deeper, 4' further, and 4 x harder to retrieve

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Looks about like our snowfall on an average Tuesday here;-)
P.U. only. We got hammered. 159033159034 First is Carol's 4 Runner under that, second is path to the barn.
It is higher then the snow blower and took a long time. I got half the drive done and quit. Need chains on the snow blower.
It is waist deep on my deck and the only time I can take my little dog out without a leash. :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Rick I'm a big nascar fan and allways said that they should have to run one race up here in the up in the winter on ice. Id bet my mother would outdrive any of southern drivers
Snow NEVER EVER caused an automobile crash!!!!! It is Always the idiots that don't know how to drive in it!

Blackwater
01-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Caribou, you made me laugh out loud. Made me remember an ol' boy I once deer hunted with as a youngster. He had a std. 2-wheel drive with positraction, and turned to me and commented, "You wouldn't think it, but I can go places that these guys with the 4x4's and big mudgrips can't go." I looked at him like he had two heads, and said, very incredulously, "How?" He just grinned real big and said, "'Cause I wont' even TRY to go where they do. I'll just drive around it, and get through, while they'll try to bull through it and get stuck!" Lot of truth in there, but it's also true that 4WD's CAN definitely go where 2WD's simply cannot.

Since I live here where 4WD is seldom needed, I'll take the better mileage, cheaper cost and maintenance of a 2WD, and if it gets THAT cold, I have plenty of good books to read and I'll just stay home. I've had worse things happen to me than that. Of course, back when I was more adventurous ....

castalott
01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
I'll take 6 inches of the stuff. Please deliver on the 6 hottest, driest days this next summer.

Dale

jmorris
01-27-2016, 09:53 AM
I remember one year we had almost a foot of snow here at home, most I had ever seen here. Still have a few weeks to see if we will get any this year.

Dale53
01-27-2016, 10:13 AM
44Man;
I guess many of us have "snow tales" to tell. You DO tell it well. :drinks:

In the winter of 62-63, I was a newby Claims Rep for an insurance company. My company car was a Ford Falcon. I was transferred to Columbus, Ohio (from my home town of Hamilton, Ohio). I covered 33 counties. It snowed in October and we never saw the ground until May. It was 20 below zero and I had no decent cold weather clothes. I wrote my own estimates (outside) and had to carry a dozen ball point pens in my shirt pocket as the ink would freeze in the pens while I was writing (no lie). I was brand new, was making nearly no salary at all and had to daily drive a new, but "piece of ****" automobile. I had to have a local garage stop by the place I was staying to start my car every morning (the tiny battery wouldn't even turn over the engine at 20 below zero). Backpacking was one of my favorite activities and I will tell you I was never so cold in my life as when I was trying to write an estimate outdoors at 20 below zero. Winter hiking in the mountains while backpacking was NOTHING compared to "on the ground" in Columbus, Mansfield, Lima, and Athens that winter while working.

So, I FEEL for you, my friend! I do! and all of the others who are fighting that white stuff! We got lucky this last storm - it bypassed us and went 30 miles south of us.

Hand in there and "This too will pass".

Dale53

Cariboo
01-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Blackwater, I used to drive a std. 2-wheel drive with positraction. A friend and myself decided to check a new area one day. I had 6 hrs. before I had a 3 hr school bus run to drive, well I got stuck. My friend stayed with the truck and scouted the area out a bit and I walked out (about 25 miles). Got out in time to ask a friend with his 4x4 if he would go pull my truck out and then did the 3 hr run. When I got home again neither truck was back. So I phoned another friend that had a sm 4x4 tow truck and we went back to see where the trucks were. As it had turned out the first 4x4 was unable to tow me out backwards so he drove around my truck and pulled it out. Then leading the way out got stuck blocking the road (if you can call it that) and there they sat till we arrived with the tow truck. It was no trouble to pull the 4x4 out and then I drove my truck threw no pull needed. That was a long day, since then I have tended not to go threw large mud holes, not even with my 4x4

hoping everyone is staying warm and comfortable

Cariboo
01-28-2016, 12:56 AM
I'll take 6 inches of the stuff. Please deliver on the 6 hottest, driest days this next summer.

Dale

that's mighty hard on the gardens

castalott
01-28-2016, 08:55 AM
that's mighty hard on the gardens

YA...but I can dream, can't I? :wink:

44man
01-28-2016, 01:03 PM
I can not be without a 4X4 but it is not a "go anywhere thing either."
I go down the road here and there are roads not plowed but I see tracks come out from 4 wheel drive trucks. What in the world could drive through 38" of snow?

Cariboo
01-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I would think it would need to be a diesel, so it would have weight in the front, pickup, so it would have a load in the back, with a lift kit for less snow resistance.

bearcove
01-28-2016, 04:40 PM
A 3/4 ton with some weight in the back and not to wide tires will go! My dodge would do 3' if it wasn't wet snow. Biggest problem is keeping the radiator clear so it didn't overheat, and staying out of the ditch cause its hard to tell where the road is some times. Go over the side and then you got trouble.

I've done 2' in my motorhome in the passes, heavy w/ narrow tires goes good.

Cariboo
01-29-2016, 01:13 AM
If these guys back east have the kind of snow that I remember getting back there, you can grab a handful squeeze it to make a snow ball and the water will start running out of it. You were more likely to get hit with an ice ball than a snow ball.