PDA

View Full Version : A Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 followed me home. 223 cast???

Outer Rondacker
01-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Attended one of the largest gun shows in my area today. It was more like a flea market with a few guns. Loads of 35rems and 30-30s followed by 22s and shotguns. Prices are still very high and for the first time ever empty tables. Not just one or two but dozens. Out of the 50 or so modern rifles I saw one followed me home. What a neat little bugger. If you know me you already know I am not a fan of the 223-5.56. A friend of mine put this Ruger American Ranch in my hand and it just felt good. 16.25" barrel. Long story short its on my bench and I am shopping for some glass.

Do any of you guys cast for the 223 round if so what are you using?

The reason to the sale was justified by the fact 22mag ammo is going for .45+ cents around me when you can find it. So the mag is going bye bye.

Look forward to your replies and hope you are wishing with me for old man winter to get out of here so we can all get out and do some shooting.

Bzcraig
01-24-2016, 01:10 AM
I have the same rifle, haven't shot it much but I bought the NOE 225-55fn. 8.2gr of 2400 felt like 22mag and should have been about 1760fps (don't have a chrono yet).

Lonegun1894
01-24-2016, 07:01 AM
Don't have one of these rifles, at least not yet, but I use mostly the RCBS 22-55-SP in my .223s. The only exception is the Lee Bator I have been using in my Contender, but it doesn't feed very well in my bolt guns, so those get the RCBS bullet. Accuracy seems to be about equal. For what it's worth, the Contender gets pushed with 5.0grs Unique for a .22Mag type load for small game, and the RCBSs get pushed with 13.0grs of 2400. That 2400 load needs some fine-tuning though.

Outer Rondacker
01-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Good info guys. Thanks. Are you using GC's and standard lube or PC the bullet? I am starting to go the lines of PC on my rifle bullets. This little bullet is so hard to handle. LOL I hope to fire some factory loads down the pipe to brake it in today. I will add my thoughts on the rifle more after doing so. Keep the info coming.

Spent the day fixing the car for the better half. Did not get to the range but did clean the gun. I have shot a hundred rounds down the pipe of many other guns before a cleaning and it has looked better then what I got out of this NEW unfired gun. Metal, black ****, loads of oil just dripping from it. Hope it shoots better then it looked inside.

Outer Rondacker
01-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Well its cold out side so we just did a brake in. Love the gun hate my load. I was using 50g speer Jword over 25g IMR4895. It should be around 3000fps ish and felt nice and light. But man oh man was the barrel black and nasty. I mean after one shot 6 or 7 patches to get it mostly clean. As the shots increased so did the amount needed to clean it. I have not had a chance to buy a scope for the gun yet but I did swipe the one from my 22mag since its going bye bye. At 70yd I can already see it holds nice groups but only time will tell. Not sure why the barrel is so dirty after each run of shots. I have never had an issue with 4895 before.

Outer Rondacker
02-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Got a chance to put some more rounds down range. It likes 55g bullets that is for sure. It also likes them HOT. 70 yards again. This time some pics. Load workup and then a four shot group. I am very happy with this rifle and will say if you have a chance to buy one and have been wondering I would go for it. I did not have any luck with cast bullets. This is soft points jacketed.

robg
02-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Just tried the Lee 55gr .223 mould great mould boolit's just fell out on opening I'm impressed to say the least

Jack Stanley
02-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Several if my rifles like this load ; Lyman 225462 sized at .225" , one groove lubed no gas check , four point two grains of 700-X , Federal or Remington cases , Winchester , Remington or CCI small pistol primers .

I don't know what a Ruger barrel will do with it but three other brands work just fine .

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
03-01-2016, 07:38 AM
I picked up a group buy mould a year or so ago and it promptly disappeared into my garage. When it emerges, I will try it in my 223 RA Compact.

Outer Rondacker
03-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks Jack I will look into that bullet and load.

Four Fingers Of Death keep us updated on how it turns out. I did try some 50g bullets and the 1/8th twist did not lake them as much. I am thinking a bit heavier bullet is better.

Four Fingers of Death
03-01-2016, 08:56 AM
As to jacketed bullets, my Ruger American Compact shoots 1/2 - 3/4" groups, but my Tikka T3 Hunter 223 (both have 1 in 8" Twists) never liked the light bullets. I got a few groups on Monday just past with the Tikka that had four shots in 3/4" and a flyer about an inch and a half out. Twice the money, tons better and bigger scope and half the performance. The American is one hell of a rifle.

From memory the very elusive group buy mould drops a 60 or 65Gn boolit, so it should go well in both.

I fancy that the Tikka will end up as a jacketed bullet rifle and will see some long(ish) range varmint work and a bit of spotlighting with it's big (and also illuminated) scope and the little Ruger will be a truck gun with cast boolits. I have a lock up drawer in the back and the Ruger just fits neatly into it.

Outer Rondacker
03-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Keep me in mind on some of them test bullets when you brake out that mold. :}